Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a guest post on AllThingsD, Brightcove founder and CEO Jeremy Allaire offers a thorough look at his ideals for a television initiative from Apple. While Allaire has no direct knowledge of Apple's plans, his perspective gained by leading one of the major online video platforms for mainstream media offers an interesting basis for discussion on what Apple may wish to do.

Allaire describes three "key values" that he expects Apple will bring to consumers with its television initiative: an integrated system for delivering all types of television content including broadcast, video-on-demand, Netflix, and Youtube; the "ultimate game console" leveraging the existing iOS ecosystem; and innovative app experiences enhancing existing App Store apps with dual screens. He argues that Apple will need to offer both integrated television sets and a set-top box in order to make the necessary impact in the market.
To do this, Apple needs a two-pronged strategy:

1. A new companion device for TV that starts at $149, attaches to nearly any existing TV, and does not require customers to buy an expensive new monitor. This is crucial for quickly establishing and maintaining platform dominance quickly and even stand-alone could be a $5-10 billion opportunity.

2. A new family of ultra-thin TV monitors that bundles all of the capabilities of the companion device and includes beefed up computing power. These large-screen monitors will be a direct assault on the global TV monitor industry, a market worth hundreds of billions annually, albeit with slightly slower replacement cycles of four years versus two years for smartphones and tablets. This gives Apple that additional $30 billion+ revenue stream it needs.
The set-top box Allaire envisions a relatively thin bar-like design to sit above or below an existing television, based on an A7 quad-core chip and offering several cameras and sensors, HDMI, Ethernet, Wi-Fi, substantial storage, and Lightning ports for power and a coaxial cable dongle.

allaire_apple_tv_box.jpg
As for the television set itself, Allaire's scenario includes 46-inch and 60-inch models with multiple HDMI ports, an optical audio port, Ethernet, and dual Lightning ports for connectivity. The sets would include onboard storage of either 1 TB and 3 TB, and of course incorporate a high-end display in a package carrying the usual Apple design aesthetic.

Allaire goes on to describe an Apple TV app for iOS that would serve as the hub for interacting with the system, delivering guide information, on-demand libraries, and iTunes Store access to an iPhone or iPad, as well as allowing the device to serve second-screen content while viewing on the television set. Apple would also deliver APIs for third-party input devices such as game controllers, as well as tools for helping delivers create both dedicated apps for the TV and expand their existing iOS apps to address new possibilities opened up by the larger-screen environment.

Allaire's vision is of course entirely speculative and seems to be more of a "wish list" rather than a serious proposal for how Apple will bring cable operators onboard and integrate a host of features into a set-top box starting at $149 or a television set starting at $1499, but some of the proposals offer interesting food for thought about directions Apple could be aiming for.

Article Link: Brightcove CEO Envisions His Dream Apple Television and Set-Top Box

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
These large-screen monitors will be a direct assault on the global TV monitor industry, a market worth hundreds of billions annually, albeit with slightly slower replacement cycles of four years versus two years for smartphones and tablets.

People replace their television set every 4 years?! I do very well for myself, and I think my replacement cycle is nearly double that.

mediaboy

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2006
The most amazing addition would be wireless IR sensors to put on other devices (Blu-Ray Player, DVR, Stereo, etc) so that your AppleTV could control all the devices using an iPad Mini.

I have the Harmony 1100 now, but the interface is lacking, the sensors are all wired. Leaves major room for improvement.

That would make it complete IMHO.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I think most are excited about the TV set, not another set top box. (please don't just be another set top box)

coolant113

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
New Jersey
I agree with almost everything he envisions except for one thing. That putting "1tb to 3tb" of storage either in the set top box or the tv itself. Why would apple do that? They have been on a mission to move everything into the cloud. The first generation Apple TV had a lot of onboard storage, then they introduced the 2nd and 3rd generation Apple TV that was only designed to work off the "cloud". I really don't think apple will go backwards and put that much onboard storage into one of these future devices. They will mend this into the "cloud".

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Apple is working on the input method, it is the reason why the Mac was popular with the mouse, the iPod was popular with click wheel, iPhone was popular with multi-touch screen along with the iPad, and the MacBooks with a multi-touch trackpad. Steve said it himself, you need a good input method to have a successful device.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
People replace their television set every 4 years?! I do very well for myself, and I think my replacement cycle is nearly double that.

Ditto!

Our last TV was purchased about 5 years ago, and it's still going strong. If there's nothing wrong with it, it doesn't get replaced. You'd be a fool to buy a new TV just for the sake of it. They really dont change enough to warrant purchasing a new one.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I think most are excited about the TV set, not another set top box. (please don't just be another set top box)

I wont be interested if its 60". That's just stupid. They need about 4 different models:

32" 36" 42" and 48"

Any bigger and its no longer a TV, it's a cinema.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

Mine is when one breaks.

I may look into a revolutionary new device if available.

In general I like small stuff to lift and carry around (like a projector)
instead of a 52 inch or larger TV.

Plus, the cinema experience (really big screen) you can only get with a projector depending on you home's/apartment's wall sizes:)

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
"multiple HDMI ports"

You'll be lucky to have one HDMI port. The way Apple see things they will want all your content to come through them.

Benjamins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
for Apple TV to be more successful, they need some sort of live channels. People need to be able to just turn on Apple TV, sit on the couch and turn off their brains for a while.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Apple is working on the input method, it is the reason why the Mac was popular with the mouse, the iPod was popular with click wheel, iPhone was popular with multi-touch screen along with the iPad, and the MacBooks with a multi-touch trackpad. Steve said it himself, you need a good input method to have a successful device.

Most input methods have already been done for TV. If its something new, it'll be something that nobody has heard of / seen before.

As it stands, we have:

- Remote
- Voice
- Hand Gestures
- Keyboard/Mouse
- Remote App's for mobiles

Cant see them coming up with a better alternative than any of these.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Apple would/should release a radically redesigned iTV before ever entering the actual TV market. An Apple TV that essentially converts your existing set into a giant iPad, that you run all your devices (Cable box, Bluray...) from your iOS device. They are so close now I just don't understand why they don't finish the job. The Apple TV right now is half baked.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
for Apple TV to be more successful, they need some sort of live channels. People need to be able to just turn on Apple TV, sit on the couch and turn off their brains for a while.

We already do that. It's called TiVo :p

----------

Apple would/should release a radically redesigned iTV before ever entering the actual TV market. An Apple TV that essentially converts your existing set into a giant iPad, that you run all your devices (Cable box, Bluray...) from your iOS device. They are so close now I just don't understand why they don't finish the job. The Apple TV right now is half baked.

It's Apple TV, not iTV. iTV is a television network, older than Apple who would never let Apple use their trademark.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Steve said it himself, you need a good input method to have a successful device.

Good?

Good?

Really?

Come on, really?

Steve never said the word good to describe products he made or sold.

To Steve, everything was either great or crap (in extreme circumstances, he could insert the word insanely or s***, or even b***s***)

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I wont be interested if its 60". That's just stupid. They need about 4 different models:

32" 36" 42" and 48"

Any bigger and its no longer a TV, it's a cinema.

You could say it the other way around: 32" isn't a TV, it's a monitor.

Seriously though, 4 sizes is a lot of options given that Apple usually has a streamlined lineup to minimize the costs of components through economy of scale and maximize profits.

The original article has more realistic expectations than yours. Apple products are high-end. They're desired by rich people. 48" is smaller than what a lot of people would buy. That's what I have and I don't feel like it's a huge TV by any means. If I were richer I'd definitely get something bigger.

It's not like the mobile market where too big of a screen means less portability. Modern LED-backlit TVs are so thin it doesn't really matter whether they're 40" or 60". Just use a wall mount if you want to save some space. It's really more of a money issue for people, but since Apple is used to get a near-monopoly of "premium" products it shouldn't be a problem. It's easier to have a large margin on expensive products.

blockhed

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2004
$149 is wishful thinking

The fellow predicts:
A7 quad-core chip and offering several cameras and sensors, HDMI, Ethernet, Wi-Fi, substantial storage, and Lightning ports for power and a coaxial cable dongle.​

I think all this for $149 is perhaps inspired by smoking a lot of whackyweed. Does he live in Colorado or Washington State? Just "substantial storage" is enough to make the thing cost $150.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.