Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Autosumit Logins - Mac OS X - Safari

Is this normal? If I use the 1Password Helper or just go into 1Password and Go to a site it works great and fills in my userid and password and does the login with Autosubmit active. But if I go to same site from a shortcut I have to hit the 1Password icon and then press enter to fill in the fills and then press continue to login. I guess I thought it would work like the Browser autofill of userid/password and other fields.

Talking about autofill in the browser. With identities how does it autofill like a credit card number. On a site, do I think hit 1Password icon and then select an identity to fill in the form? Seems like the browser works quicker.

AGJamie

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Is this normal? If I use the 1Password Helper or just go into 1Password and Go to a site it works great and fills in my userid and password and does the login with Autosubmit active. But if I go to same site from a shortcut I have to hit the 1Password icon and then press enter to fill in the fills and then press continue to login. I guess I thought it would work like the Browser autofill of userid/password and other fields.

Talking about autofill in the browser. With identities how does it autofill like a credit card number. On a site, do I think hit 1Password icon and then select an identity to fill in the form? Seems like the browser works quicker.

Hi, Mike. 1Password only fills information at your specific direction. Using Go & Fill or a 1Click bookmark can expedite the process for you and give a more seamless experience.

Identity and credit card filling follow the same rule; 1Password only fills when you ask it to. In some cases of identity filling, the browser can be faster, but it doesn't make it as easy to handle multiple identities—personal, work, anonymous—and as far as I know, no browsers support credit card filling out of the box.

--
Jamie Phelps
Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
I love 1Password 3 on the Mac and iOS and I have no issues with upgrade pricing. I just bought 1Password 4 for iOS.

Unfortunately, the removal of the WiFi sync feature makes me think I just threw away $8. I won't sync my passwords through the cloud. Therefore, for me, 1Password no longer has any syncing ability.

The representation that WiFi syncing was "not a great customer experience" is disingenuous given that 1Password 4 ships with iTunes "syncing." I find it difficult to believe that anyone trying iTunes File Sharing would find it a "great customer experience."

I'll just come out and say it: Removing WiFi syncing and forcing the use of the cloud for syncing makes 1Password 4 less secure than 1Password 3.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Hi, Mike. 1Password only fills information at your specific direction. Using Go & Fill or a 1Click bookmark can expedite the process for you and give a more seamless experience.

Identity and credit card filling follow the same rule; 1Password only fills when you ask it to. In some cases of identity filling, the browser can be faster, but it doesn't make it as easy to handle multiple identities—personal, work, anonymous—and as far as I know, no browsers support credit card filling out of the box.

--
Jamie Phelps
Thanks Jamie. I understand how to create 1 Click Book Marks and it works very well. The only problem is the time to maintain them. It would be nice if you had a 1 way Sync Option that maintain my bookmarks for me. My bookmarks are mostly organized by folder which are the same in 1Password. If I could say create bookmark folders directly from 1Password manually or automatically that would be very nice.

Regarding the identities and credit card filling. No problem there. I don't do it often and when I do it appears easy enough to use. I review it later.

Really enjoy using 1Password just looking for a better way to integrate into my workflow.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
How does editing the fields were Username and Password affect the function of the app?

For example, 1Password uses the name pulled by the website, I'm assuming. Sometimes, it's username or, UserName, or LoginID or what have you.

If I went through and changed them all to my liking, say User Name, how does doing that affect the function of the app?

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
I bought it, but still find the categories to be difficult to understand. I need to easily be able to add new categories. The instructions point you to 'custom fields', but in fact I want custom categories. I find It baffling that I can't add a category named 'Phones' to store the pins/puks and other bits and pieces related to my 6 phone contracts.

The other comment I have is that the accompanying Mac Version is far too expensive in my opinion. The iOS version costs a couple of Euros whereas the OSX version costs around 6 times more. In fact, the Mac version costs almost twice as much as ML. That's difficult to justify in my book.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
The vast majority of our users are syncing via Dropbox already. Wi-Fi Sync has been removed from 1Password 4 for iOS because, honestly, it was not a great customer experience. It was difficult to set up, and more so, difficult for many customers to maintain. The app on the Mac and the iOS device would need to be open simultaneously, and it was a very manual process.

If starting up both apps and entering a pass phrase to pair the devices is considered difficult then I'm surprised those users even know how to tie their own shoes. Wifi sync was certainly less manual than the downgrade to iTunes file sharing.

Also, if the Wi-Fi network's information changed, sync would break completely. You have no idea how many routers we've asked customers to reboot!

Cloud syncing via iCloud (iOS for now, Mac soon) and Dropbox is effortless and automatic. It provides the best experience for customers because it is consistent, fast, and reliable.

If the cloud is not your cup of tea, we have added iTunes File Sharing. iTunes File Sharing works over USB or iTunes' built-in Wi-Fi Sync for your device. It skips the Internet entirely and connects either directly to your computer, or at most over your local wireless network. You can get started with iTunes File Sharing here.

So I'm effectively paying for a downgrade. Nothing here explains why you would remove wifi sync. If users find it too difficult to use, maybe direct them to the less secure options. Why remove the feature though?

You're very right to be concerned about the security of your data! We're equally concerned to keep your data secure. We've written a dedicated document to describe how [this is secure](http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_storage_security.html) but the short version is that your data is encrypted before being sent to the cloud. If you have a strong master password, it would still take an attacker trillions of years to brute force attack your data file even if the cloud storage were somehow breached.

But not ALL the data is encrypted. The title and URL can themselves contain sensitive information.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
I love 1Password 3 on the Mac and iOS and I have no issues with upgrade pricing. I just bought 1Password 4 for iOS.

Unfortunately, the removal of the WiFi sync feature makes me think I just threw away $8. I won't sync my passwords through the cloud. Therefore, for me, 1Password no longer has any syncing ability.

The representation that WiFi syncing was "not a great customer experience" is disingenuous given that 1Password 4 ships with iTunes "syncing." I find it difficult to believe that anyone trying iTunes File Sharing would find it a "great customer experience."

I'll just come out and say it: Removing WiFi syncing and forcing the use of the cloud for syncing makes 1Password 4 less secure than 1Password 3.

like wifi sync too, but does anyone know if that was secure?

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Wifi sync used to drive me mad, I was so glad when I switched to dropbox and iCloud will be even more convenient.

AGJamie

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
How does editing the fields were Username and Password affect the function of the app?

For example, 1Password uses the name pulled by the website, I'm assuming. Sometimes, it's username or, UserName, or LoginID or what have you.

If I went through and changed them all to my liking, say User Name, how does doing that affect the function of the app?

If you change the field's name in the All Fields section of 1Password, it will affect form filling. But, 1Password has the username and password designations that serve as a hint for which field is the username and password. So, for instance, if you come to a different login form on the same site that has different markup, 1Password has some heuristics to recognize a form with one text field and one password field (and with most forms that have multiple fields) and fill the data in the right field. But, for the most reliable filling, let 1Password keep the data that it pulled from the form where you saved the login.

--
Jamie Phelps

lhotka

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Wifi sync used to drive me mad, I was so glad when I switched to dropbox and iCloud will be even more convenient.

Trading convenience for security is a tradeoff that might be a choice some will make, but it's not one that should be forced upon people - particularly by a company that claims to be concerned about security. By removing even the option of a secure, private sync, they force users to a much higher risk mechanism.

If the iTunes sync were a real sync, it would be different - but it's not. And I notice that the Agile guys aren't responding to my pointing out that 1) it's listed under sync on both the website and in the app itself which borders on false advertising, and 2) that there's even *less* documentation on how to get it to work than there was for wi-fi syncing.

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
like wifi sync too, but does anyone know if that was secure?

Not if you were using the WiFi at a Starbucks. But if it was on your home WiFi (that you control) behind a firewall, with WPA2, then sure. Besides, how could it be less secure than syncing with Dropbox?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
If you change the field's name in the All Fields section of 1Password, it will affect form filling. But, 1Password has the username and password designations that serve as a hint for which field is the username and password. So, for instance, if you come to a different login form on the same site that has different markup, 1Password has some heuristics to recognize a form with one text field and one password field (and with most forms that have multiple fields) and fill the data in the right field. But, for the most reliable filling, let 1Password keep the data that it pulled from the form where you saved the login.

--
Jamie Phelps

ok, thanks.:(

AGJamie

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Not if you were using the WiFi at a Starbucks. But if it was on your home WiFi (that you control) behind a firewall, with WPA2, then sure. Besides, how could it be less secure than syncing with Dropbox?

The Wi-Fi sync mechanism itself is secure. When you initially set it up, you entered some randomly generated secrets that are used to encrypt the traffic between the two ends of the sync.

Starbucks Wi-Fi would never work for Wi-Fi syncing. Their firewall blocks access to the ports that 1Password uses and doesn't allow the Bonjour zero-config network discovery protocol that Wi-Fi sync relies on. This is the kind of thing that caught some users unawares. Imagine for a second that you need to sync your data when you're on the road in a hotel. Hotel Wi-Fi is the same situation. So too are many other situations like corporate networks and anything else where you don't have access to adjusting the configuration. This is just *one* of the pitfalls with Wi-Fi sync that has plagued users of 1Password since its initial release in 2008.

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
Since this thread is now being monitored by agilebits staff, I just thought i'd throw my 2c in.

I'm a 1password customer on both the Mac, and on iOS (intact twice on iOS with v3 and v4). I couldnt live without it (especially on the Mac), but there is one glaring omission in the whole 1password world for me. I know you guys hate to hear it, but its the lack of Opera plugin. The *only* thing stopping me from using Opera as my primary browser is lack of plugin.

Not expecting much, just sowing another seed!

AGJamie

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Since this thread is now being monitored by agilebits staff, I just thought i'd throw my 2c in.

I'm a 1password customer on both the Mac, and on iOS (intact twice on iOS with v3 and v4). I couldnt live without it (especially on the Mac), but there is one glaring omission in the whole 1password world for me. I know you guys hate to hear it, but its the lack of Opera plugin. The *only* thing stopping me from using Opera as my primary browser is lack of plugin.

Not expecting much, just sowing another seed!

Thanks for the feedback. This is something that we're keeping an eye on but for now we're focusing our browser extension development on "the big three": Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. They keep us very busy as it is. Opera fans are passionate users to be sure, but right now, they represent a minority in the grand landscape of browsers and 1Password users. Then again, maybe the reason more people don't use Opera is because there's no 1Password extension… :)

In all seriousness, though, thanks for letting us know this is important to you. We'll still keep an eye on Opera, but for now, I have to be honest and say it's not something we are working on or have plans for in the foreseeable future.

--
Jamie Phelps

AGJamie

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
So should I delete the old app after installing the new one or what?

Generally, yes. Unless you have some compelling reason (such as Wi-Fi syncing) to need 1Password 3 around, once your data is safely inside 1Password 4, you can delete 1Password 3 from your device.

--
Jamie Phelps

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Where to Buy..

Apologies if this has been asked before but is it better to purchase 1Password from the MAc App Store or from AngileBits and, to the extent that there is a difference, please explain why one is preferred over the other.

Thanks,

Joel

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Apologies if this has been asked before but is it better to purchase 1Password from the MAc App Store or from AngileBits and, to the extent that there is a difference, please explain why one is preferred over the other.

Thanks,

Joel
Mac App Store. I believe they have dropped selling from AngileBits. And since it is from the App Store you can run it on all Mac's that use the same Mac Store ID.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Not thrilled about paying a third time for my iOS app, but this really is a useful tool. My question is this: If I'm at a third party computer and no iDevice is handy, with browser login to iCloud and/or Dropbox, using v4, will I be able to access my passwords? If so, how? If not, I believe I'll stay on v3. Thanks for the help.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Mac App Store. I believe they have dropped selling from AngileBits. And since it is from the App Store you can run it on all Mac's that use the same Mac Store ID.

I just went to the AgileBits website at https://agilebits.com/store and as you can see they are still selling direct so my question remains...where is the best place to purchase the software -- directly from AgileBits or indirectly from MAS -- and why...

Thanks,

Joel

AGJamie

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
I just went to the AgileBits website at https://agilebits.com/store and as you can see they are still selling direct so my question remains...where is the best place to purchase the software -- directly from AgileBits or indirectly from MAS -- and why...

Thanks,

Joel

Yes, we still sell directly, but if you're on Lion or later, the Mac App Store is the best way to purchase. You'll get the 1Password 4 for Mac upgrade for free and there are some nice additions there that aren't in 1Password 3.8 that we sell from our online store such as the menu bar application and the enhanced security of the application sandbox.

--
Jamie Phelps

----------

Not thrilled about paying a third time for my iOS app, but this really is a useful tool. My question is this: If I'm at a third party computer and no iDevice is handy, with browser login to iCloud and/or Dropbox, using v4, will I be able to access my passwords? If so, how? If not, I believe I'll stay on v3. Thanks for the help.

If you keep syncing 1Password 4 with Dropbox, you can still use 1PasswordAnywhere to access your data when you don't have a 1Password application handy. You might also be interested in this post that Brett Terpstra wrote recently.

--
Jamie Phelps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.