Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asenna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
I recently got a brand new 2012 MacBook Air and have needed to reinstall OSX 3 times due to my experimentation with boot camp , accidentally running out if batteries while installing something , and some other issues but nothing related to the hardware or anyone's fault but my own.

Anyway I've been using Internet recovery to re install ML and I know SSD's have a finite lifespan. Have I negativity affected my SSD by multiple is reinstalls?

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
You didn't do anything that will severely affect lifetime. SSD lifetimes are no longer a problem so don't worry about it.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Might i suggest you buy a external harddrive and clone a fresh install using either superduper (free) or carbon copy...then if you need to reinstall all you have to do is boot from usb drive and reimage that drive back to air....wayyyyy faster then redown loading ml all over again....

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Might i suggest you buy a external harddrive and clone a fresh install using either superduper (free) or carbon copy...then if you need to reinstall all you have to do is boot from usb drive and reimage that drive back to air....wayyyyy faster then redown loading ml all over again....

This brings up a question I've been wondering about. I use Superduper to backup the ML partition on my 2011 MBA. I also have a bootcamp partition. Superduper obviously doesn't backup that partition.

What happens if I choose to or have to reimage from my SuperDuper copy? Does it write over and eliminate the bootcamp partition? The bootcamp isn't mission critical so I've been too lazy/cheap to find a good backup for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.