Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hpaddict731

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
Hello,

I keep getting the same two error messages when I start my Macbook Laptop. These are the messages:

“/Library/StartupItems/.DS_Store” has not been started because it does not have the proper security settings.

“/Library/StartupItems/Anacron” has not been started because it does not have the proper security settings.

I am currently using Mac OS X ver. 10.6.2. I know I previously installed Anacron on my Mac and now I am unsure of how to remove it. I tried looking on the website where I downloaded it but I am not familiar with Terminal and I don't understand how to disable it. And I don't know what the other message means or why it is popping up.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Open a Terminal window and type:

cd /Library/StartupItems
sudo rm .DS_Store Anacron

(That does the same thing as what aggie posted, but you probably won't be able to see the .DS_Store file it mentioned.)

hpaddict731

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
Only Anacron error message showing now

cd /Library/StartupItems

(That does the same thing as what aggie posted, but you probably won't be able to see the .DS_Store file it mentioned.)

I did this and then restarted my computer, and I don't see the .DS_store error message anymore, but I still get a message that says:

Insecure Startup Item disabled.

“/Library/StartupItems/Anacron” has not been started because it does not have the proper security settings.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions of how I can fix this. Thank you.

scottsmrn

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2010
Help! Im A Newbie To The Core!!!

I'm having the same problem.... same exact thing is happening. I got the .ds store message to go away but i am still being haunted by the anacron message...

can someone please help!

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Just go to /Library/StartupItems in Finder and delete the Anacron folder, no need to mess around with Terminal after you have gotten rid of the hidden file.

Drift91

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2010
To follow the uninstallation instructions all you have to do is copy and paste the terminal command and hit enter. When it asks for your password just type in the password for your user and press enter again. However if your uncomfortable using the terminal I would recommend avoiding any system modifications like Anacron or SMCFanControl.

brutay

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
error message at startup

I keep getting these two error messages when I start my iMac:

“/Library/StartupItems/.DS_Store” has not been started because it does not have the proper security settings.

“/Library/StartupItems/HP Trap Monitor” has not been started because it does not have the proper security settings.

I am currently using Mac OS X 10.6.8. I don't know what the either message means or why they are popping up. Under the Library/StartupItems I find a folder titled HP Trap Monitor which contains the file HP Trap Monitor and a folder titled Resources which contains the folder English.Iproj and file StartupParameters.plist.

Not familiar with terminal sessions.

Help please.

-Concept-

macrumors member

cd /Library/StartupItems

If you want Finder to show hidden files, just go into Terminal (Spotlight -> type in "terminal") and type in:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

Then you should be able to see all of the .hidden files on your computer. It'll look a little hairy but once you delete that Anacron folder you can go back into Terminal and type

Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder

which will undo it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.