Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
It seems everyone wants to include a camera in this thing for video chat on the TV. Which means that the device must be located directly above or below the TV. That limits the form factor and also might create problems since the target audience for a device like this is a group that is largely using an AV receiver.

The cable companies will always require their own set top box, which they will give you for "free" but actually make quite a profit off of. That is what Apple is struggling against and also why other TV items have largely failed to really catch on. It is tough to compete against a device that is "free" and required to be connected to your TV. Google couldn't do it. TiVO was awesome, but it couldn't get folks to buy it in large numbers. Apple is selling a neat little device but partly only because of its impulse buy level $99 price. I've got three of them myself, one on each floor of my house attached to the projector or TV located on that floor.
cable card man...cable card.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
i think he means that most tech savvy people have a receiver that has all the inputs that then plugs into the tv. i have a sony surround sound with 4 hdmi inputs. everything runs through that.

Well it would be extremely foolish to build a TV only for tech savvy users. And pretty much polar opposite to the principle that previous iOS devices have been built on.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
" Siri, TV on"
" Siri, change channel to Number 361"
" Siri, pause TV"
" Siri, TV off"

etc.
I would buy it today if it could do even that.

I honestly don't see Siri on a tv being anything more than a niche feature for most. For your normal everyday watching the good old remote control is a much better input method.

However I do see it being beneficial for certain situations.

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
What I am ready, willing and able to pay for now and on a monthly basis is good content.

At some point when my tvs breakdown, you betcha I will be looking around for what best suits my needs, an Apple TV sounds great.

I refuse to pay for bundles of unreliable, high priced junk. Right now I want, need good choices at a fair price.

Wheeler

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2007
The most amazing addition would be wireless IR sensors to put on other devices (Blu-Ray Player, DVR, Stereo, etc) so that your AppleTV could control all the devices using an iPad Mini.

I have the Harmony 1100 now, but the interface is lacking, the sensors are all wired. Leaves major room for improvement.

That would make it complete IMHO.

Might not need it if the equipment is in the open- the Harmony Link magically bounces IR signals off the walls. I have it sitting under my TV and it somehow controls all my devices without direct line of sight.

Doubt it though- Apple doesn't want you using a blu-ray, and this would replace your DVR. Stereo control is a huge deal for me though so I would be more than excited about some sort of device control, and wireless IR receivers sounds pretty nice- could be a third party add on if API allows it.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Thunderbolt would be a pointless waste for that. Streaming full HD would never need 10gbps.

HDMI bandwidth is 10.2 Gbps. Thunderbolt is supposed to go far beyond 10 in the future. I can see a need for more bandwidth if the cable is supplying video, taking camera footage, passing motion sensor info, downloading apps, etc.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
A bit of a dull subject for me I'm afraid - certainly not something I'd be interested in.

Why exactly would I be worried about it? I was answering your question.

True. But none of said companies are:

A) Globally used and globally trademarked
and/or
B) In the same industry.

Could you explain how exactly that would work? Apple would have to take them to court in the UK. And given that ITV is a household name in the UK, the courts would rule in their favor. Think about it, if there was a discussion with someone saying "Hey did you watch <program> on ITV last night?" thats going to create confusion if you've got an ITV channel, and an ITV service providing television content.

Because of that, its a no brainer that they would never be granted a fair usage on the term 'ITV'.

They could call it iTeeeVeee if they wanted. But it sonds like something a child would come up with. Certainly not a name Apple would ever use.

I'll ask you again - why do you think they called it Apple TV in the first place. If they wanted it to be called iTV, dont you think they would have called it that from the get-go?

You think "it's" about the name still... Why is their "laptop" called a MacBook, their "MP3" player called an iPod, their "tablet" called an iPad, etc etc???

Let's leave the names to the side, and talk shop...

This thread is about an Apple Television Set that not one of us knows the name of, and you want me to answer you a question about Apple naming a product "Apple TV". Can you please help me help you - why isn't there an Apple iTV(or the appropriate term/name - 'Apple Television Set') at the moment?

apolkowski

macrumors regular
If the apple tv could record and pause live tv I'd buy one today.

We don't have cable tv (rarely watch it). Imo, it's not worth the monthly charges for the dvr anyway.

The only only non subscription dvr I've used is a computer w/ a tv tuner connected to a xbox 360. Ease of use rating on a scale of 1-10 is about a 2. Basically is a real pain.

Such TVs are available already. Look for any Samsung, LG or whatever with Smart functions. All you (eventually) need is a small 2,5" HDD attached via USB.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I wont be interested if its 60". That's just stupid. They need about 4 different models:

32" 36" 42" and 48"

Any bigger and its no longer a TV, it's a cinema.

I understand that you personally wouldn't be interested in a 60" TV. I don't understand how it logically follows that a 60" TV is "stupid," or what difference it makes whether you call it a TV or a cinema. If you have the room, once you step up to a big TV, you won't want to go back to a smaller size. I was in Costco yesterday, and they had a 60" Vizio LED TV for $928, so the cost for a basic 60" model is no longer prohibitive. So why would Apple not make a 60" TV, if they think there's a market for it, and they can make the profit margin they want to make?

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I hightly doubt TV's get replaced every 4 years. I would say 5-7 years would be more reasonable. Mine is 5 years and while the new LED models are much nicer, I'm still content with mine.

I highly doubt Apple will get into the TV market though. They might do another box like before with better integration with select partners, eg Sharp.

Similar to how Samsung devices all work together, (eg. TV, BluRay player, and their sound systems) can be controlled by a single remote.

Apple would have to sell their TV's at least 50-80% higher, and not a lot of people will pay that premium. And there's no one that would be willing to subsidize the costs.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
The coaxial cable to lightning connector is a pipe-dream. The cable companies will definitely make you have a CardCARD system. Anyways, it should be a coaxial to thunderbolt connection, IF it were even remotely feasible.

Finally, it should detect Samsung TVs and only run at 720p on those...

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
That price estimate is crazy low!

Really?! $149 for a device that is a Game Console and a DVR with 1 - 3 TB of storage? I bet the 3d graphics have to be better than XBox 360 to be a contender. This does not make much sense.

The Central Hub for content idea is sound but everything else is pie in the sky.

He should let his company produce that device and see how fast he goes out of business

He must be thinking that customers are signing a 3 year contract or something to subsidize that wonder device.
:eek:

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Honestly, I think the AppleTV is pretty great the way it is and most of the updates and feature enhancements can easily come via software updates.

My wishlist includes:
-Ability to subscribe to TV channels. Individual channels, not packages.
-Ability to connect an iSight or similar camera to enable FaceTime.
-and more functionality in the iOS Remote app that aids to the overall experience.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Such TVs are available already. Look for any Samsung, LG or whatever with Smart functions. All you (eventually) need is a small 2,5" HDD attached via USB.

I do wonder how many of those posting here have bought a smart TV in the last 12 months. Almost all of the nice to have features mentioned here are already available on many Smart TV's in the shop today.

I have a Sumsung that can record and pause tv run Plex to connect to my Media server, connect to any DNLA server, stream video from multiple sites like Love film, Netflix and others, has interfaces like iplayer and ITV player, runs a browser, connects to Utube plus lots of other features.

I no longer use my apple TV device because its redundant.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
It should be made of chocolate.

Sorry, Microsoft already has a patent on chewy, edible technology.

jerry_gates_shoes.jpg

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
I honestly don't see Siri on a tv being anything more than a niche feature for most. For your normal everyday watching the good old remote control is a much better input method.

However I do see it being beneficial for certain situations.

I use voice commands with my xbox all the time. I only wish I could use it for other commands like turn on Apple TV, turn off TV, turn on PS3, etc...

huffcw

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2012
Forget about an integrated TV...Apple should just release a large-format Thunderbolt display (50", 55", 65") optimized for HDTV content, along with a improved set-top box.

The display, being optimized for HDTV, would be a simplified version of the Thunderbolt display that's currently made for Mac. So, this would mean a lower 1080P resolution and less i/o features, but still a FaceTime camera and microphone and one Thunderbolt input (forget HDMI input and other inputs since it is made for interfacing with the Apple set-top box). With the reduced feature-set - hopefully that would mean a similar price for a much larger display.

The set-top box would be the hub for connecting whatever you would like to connect to the Thunderbolt display. And, could be more reasonable to update on a 2-year product cycle. So, your Thunderbolt monitor stays with you for a good number of years (like a typical lifecycle of a TV), but the set-top box gets upgraded from time-to-time as technology advances and keeps revenue coming into Apple.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
The most amazing addition would be wireless IR sensors to put on other devices (Blu-Ray Player, DVR, Stereo, etc) so that your AppleTV could control all the devices using an iPad Mini.

I have the Harmony 1100 now, but the interface is lacking, the sensors are all wired. Leaves major room for improvement.

That would make it complete IMHO.

Not in a million years.

Oct 24, 2012
You think "it's" about the name still... Why is their "laptop" called a MacBook, their "MP3" player called an iPod, their "tablet" called an iPad, etc etc???

Naming is very important to Apple. iTV is a trademark that Apple has no grounds to infringe on. They would lose swiftly in court and according to a quick google search:

Back in 2010, with rumors circulating that Apple was set to rebrand the Apple TV line to iTV, ITV's Group Director of Communications Mike Large told Pocket-lint that "ITV has a very strong brand, and a highly valued IP," suggesting that it would defend the name strongly if necessary.

I remember reading it then in 2010. I even recall an article saying Apple agreed not to use the term (under Steve).

It's not important in this thread, though. But there is a reason that the Apple TV is not already called the iTV.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
The second you start thinking about a set-top box you've failed.

Such a stupid thing shouldn't even exist.

It should be integrated into the TV.

It makes sense that the thing you stare at should stare back. Therefor we need the camara inegrated into the TV.

There is so much more wrong with the idea of a set top box. It's for people that want the Apple experience on a non-Apple brand TV. Just reaches more market.

But the idea of a set top box is old and ought to be shot over and over until blown into oblivion.

I like to have my TV mounted on the wall, flush, no cables, boxes, garbage. Like a animated picture frame on the wall. And a set top box screws it all up for me. Instead I have to place them inside the wall behind the TV, but then I have issues with the IR signal reaching the boxes, so I get a extender, tucked it behind the edge of my TV, and the signal reaches 50% of the time. WiFi (AirPlay) controls are usually a bit laggy and that kills the experience.

So again, **** set top boxes.

Yet again, I don't understand this mentality: "I don't want a particular product/feature, therefore it's stupid, therefore Apple shouldn't make it." I have a 1080P 2D/3D projector and a 120" screen. Why on earth would I want to replace that with a 47" (or whatever) Apple flat screen TV? A set-top box, on the other hand, would interest me very much. And even if I did have a flat-screen TV in the size range Apple might make, I still wouldn't want to replace it, if it were of recent vintage and still worked fine.

As for "It's for people that want the Apple experience on a non-Apple brand TV. Just reaches more market." Oh my God! The horror of that! I have an old MacBook Pro that I use with an old Samsung external monitor. At the time, I wanted the Apple experience on a non-Apple (i.e., less expensive at the time) monitor.

So if Apple does make both a TV and a set-top box, you can buy the TV, and I'll buy the set-top box. Would that work for you? :rolleyes:

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
Why would macrumors even post this as this guy is clearly clueless on the state of living room connectivity.

I mean, first, Apple's entire strategy is moving towards Cloud services, so why would they build Terabyte storage in their TV's? A CEO of a cloud streaming service should be aware the local storage is not the future of online devices.

This is why this guy is not CEO of Apple and why I have never heard of Brightcove until today and probably never will again.

You are correct about Apple's overarching strategy being to move away from internal storage. Unfortunately the world does not have the data transfer (read internet/cable) infrastructure in place to fully support this vision. One of the most anticipated functions of an Apple TV is gaming. Currently, gaming on a TV is facilitated using external hardware (Xbox, PlayStation, Wii). I anticipate that Apple will integrate gaming functionality in any TV they make. The app store would expand to include major TV gaming titles. Most popular games are too large to be streamed effectively. This means that the game has to be either stored locally on a hard drive, or on an external media (cd, dvd, etc.). I believe that the movement at Apple to remove needless media input devices like cd and dvd players takes precedence over removing hard drives. Thus, any Apple TV will require a hard drive up until the time that the internet/cable companies are able to provide 100% reliable and extremely fast signals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.