Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

artkrime

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
The new Sector 5 Version 2 case. :D

001.jpg

0013.jpg

0014.jpg

0017.jpg

00120.jpg

00121.jpg

00122.jpg

00123.jpg

00124.jpg

00125.jpg

00126.jpg

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
Black case is suppose to have silver screws, I actually replaced the silver ones on my real sector five and think it looks better

----------

I'm gonna throw a wild guess out there and say that they probably won't. Element makes its cases in the US and they use unified (US/Imperial) screws, and the fakes are made in China so it's pretty likely that they'll use Metric screws.

The size for the regular element screws is properly expressed as #0-80 x 1/4 (size #0, 80 threads per inch, 1/4 inch length).

They work on the authentic case I switched mine out for black screws I posted pics on the authentic forum

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
So my Sector 5 just arrived today. I removed the my VaporPro bumper case to compare the two.

8267435143_aa116766cf_n.jpg

8268513224_f28996ee02_n.jpg

First of all, I can say that the fit is better on this "Sector 5" out of the box compared to the VaporPro that needed to be bent a little to be flush with the phone.

However the headphone jack opening is even deeper on this Sector 5 than on the VaporPro making the headphone selection even more limited. Also the bottom opening is divided into three separate sections whereas it was wide open on the VaporPro design.

As far as a signal reception test using field test mode:
iPhone 5 without case: -96 on desk (-110 in hand)
iPhone 5 in Sector 5 case: -97 on desk (-111 in hand)
iPhone 5 in VaporPro case: -97 on desk (-111 in hand)

So as you can see the impact on the signal is negligble with both the Sector 5 and VaporPro.

8268507082_8a0a098e7f_n.jpg

One negative that I noticed is that this Sector 5 is not a "lay on the table" design as the front edge of the case is flush with the front glass. If you set the phone face down, the front glass will touch the surface of the table. The VaporPro case on the other hand had a slightly raised front edge that kept the glass from touching the table/desk/counter.

As far as the overall finish I see a slight asymmetry in the machining of the front bevel and my case came with a tiny dent in the back edge. The edges dont seem quite as sharp as they were on the VaporPro which in my eyes is a good thing as I keep my iPhone 5 in the same pocket as my work iPhone 4. The back of my iPhone 4 case was getting quite scratched up by the sharp edges of the VaporPro on my iPhone 5.

8268503036_40b990ddcf_n.jpg

Overall, I'm reasonably happy with this Sector 5 case. It improves on several of the issues that I had with the VaporPro including initial fit and edge sharpness. Based on my testing, neither case significantly impacts cellular signal strength as compared to a bare phone. The drawbacks however, are not being a "lay on table" safe design, deep/narrow headphone jack opening, and slight asymmetry in machining.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
oh i thought you had a replica one/fake one to compare with guess not

----------

good pics

I have a real sector 5 and a fake vapor pro, I don't use the vapor pro anymore though since the quality is a lot poorer then the real one.

The real sector five has a lay on the table design it comes out a little further then the screen, you get what you pay for though I would recommend paying a little extra for the authentic one if you're OCD since the for and finish is top notch and their anodized and not painted

dwa2011

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
Northwest Atlanta
I'm gonna throw a wild guess out there and say that they probably won't. Element makes its cases in the US and they use unified (US/Imperial) screws, and the fakes are made in China so it's pretty likely that they'll use Metric screws.

The size for the regular element screws is properly expressed as #0-80 x 1/4 (size #0, 80 threads per inch, 1/4 inch length).

If you go into Ace or True Value hardware, they will help you size them. Just bring one of your screws. Or you can go in with your case less one screw and they can size the screw to your case which is what I would do regardless of what size I read on the internet. They have a very large selection of standard and metric hex screws. Only downside to their screws is that their black screws have a different finish than the Element original screws and are more prone to corrosion. That said, you dont have many options short of going to an aerospace fastener supplier to obtain a higher grade of screws.

about to go to the hardware store to see if they have any in black, otherwise I'll just paint them.

edit: they didn't have any so I sharpied them.

Sounds good to me! I would really like to see what it looks like. Maybe @artkrime can tell us what size screws he got and how they fit. Maybe he can throw up a few pics too!!! :D thanks for the help too btw.

jyan5501

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
So my Sector 5 just arrived today. I removed the my VaporPro bumper case to compare the two.

First of all, I can say that the fit is better on this "Sector 5" out of the box compared to the VaporPro that needed to be bent a little to be flush with the phone.

However the headphone jack opening is even deeper on this Sector 5 than on the VaporPro making the headphone selection even more limited. Also the bottom opening is divided into three separate sections whereas it was wide open on the VaporPro design.

As far as a signal reception test using field test mode:
iPhone 5 without case: -96 on desk (-110 in hand)
iPhone 5 in Sector 5 case: -97 on desk (-111 in hand)
iPhone 5 in VaporPro case: -97 on desk (-111 in hand)

So as you can see the impact on the signal is negligble with both the Sector 5 and VaporPro.

One negative that I noticed is that this Sector 5 is not a "lay on the table" design as the front edge of the case is flush with the front glass. If you set the phone face down, the front glass will touch the surface of the table. The VaporPro case on the other hand had a slightly raised front edge that kept the glass from touching the table/desk/counter.

As far as the overall finish I see a slight asymmetry in the machining of the front bevel and my case came with a tiny dent in the back edge. The edges dont seem quite as sharp as they were on the VaporPro which in my eyes is a good thing as I keep my iPhone 5 in the same pocket as my work iPhone 4. The back of my iPhone 4 case was getting quite scratched up by the sharp edges of the VaporPro on my iPhone 5.

Overall, I'm reasonably happy with this Sector 5 case. It improves on several of the issues that I had with the VaporPro including initial fit and edge sharpness. Based on my testing, neither case significantly impacts cellular signal strength as compared to a bare phone. The drawbacks however, are not being a "lay on table" safe design, deep/narrow headphone jack opening, and slight asymmetry in machining.

hi KojiH mind to share where did you get the case?

Thanks.

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
Your sector 5 is grey color? If yes the grey color shown on Caseswill.com is kinda different.

Yes my Sector 5 is the Gray color. It looks differnt based on lighting.

My VaporPro in the other hand is silver.

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
Cases will uses pictures from element case, not of the actual product you will get, so of course colors vary somewhat.

This does not appear to be true. The photos on Caseswill.com are not the same as on Elementcase.com.

Element's photos all show a black phone with the screen off. Caseswill show a white phone with the screen on.

Also there are also some differences on the suede back between the two. Caseswill's suede back has a darker "E" logo while Element's suede has a lighter "E".

That being said, mine didn't come with a suede back at all... just a carbon fiber one, which I prefer anyway.

Overall I find that the gray color of my Caseswill case is very much the same as shown in the photos on their site. And depending on lighting conditions it can appear brighter/darker.

On the other hand, the silver Caseswill VaporPro for my iPhone5 is a very very light silver that is easily mistaken for white.

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
This does not appear to be true. The photos on Caseswill.com are not the same as on Elementcase.com.

Element's photos all show a black phone with the screen off. Caseswill show a white phone with the screen on.

Also there are also some differences on the suede back between the two. Caseswill's suede back has a darker "E" logo while Element's suede has a lighter "E".

That being said, mine didn't come with a suede back at all... just a carbon fiber one, which I prefer anyway.

Overall I find that the gray color of my Caseswill case is very much the same as shown in the photos on their site. And depending on lighting conditions it can appear brighter/darker.

On the other hand, the silver Caseswill VaporPro for my iPhone5 is a very very light silver that is easily mistaken for white.

I take it back, I just checked the site, it looks like they're updated with actual pictures now. When I checked it out initially, they were using stock photos.

I looked at some more of the second generation cases from china. It looks like they're now making the plastic wrench too. Most of the black ops ones I see are coming with a carbon backplate instead of the proper one. I'm still wondering what that will look like when they arrive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.