Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I have nothing productive to add but it would be great to know what camera you used to take those shots? They are very nice.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Maybe it is worth a try to buy an iPhone 5 somewhere in 2013 when all these quality issues will belong to the past or just patiently wait for the introduction of iPhone 5S. We shall see...

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
damn that sucks.. some people have better luck than others.. If I was on my 3rd replacement and I was dissatisfied I would definitely request a refund

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
I have nothing productive to add but it would be great to know what camera you used to take those shots? They are very nice.

Thank you!

I have used my Panasonic Lumix LX5, which I love! (made in Japan and had no scratches/dust under the lens when I opened it) :) It is a small but very capable and popular camera among photographers.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
You are incredibly picky. Especially with the first one (the second one was pretty legit)

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Personal opinion:

Scratches on body: you're making too big a deal over it, with the exception of the third phone scratched near the volume buttons. Big and unnacceptable.

Camera:
- dust on phone 1: Did you try the camera out to see if it affected the pictures at all. It looks so small and irrelevant that it might not get in the way of pictures. I can barely see it in those macro shots, indicating how small it really is. I would have kept phone #1 if this were the case. I can't even see the dent you're trying to show.
- smudge on phone 2: legit and big enough to distort pictures. Valid reason to return. But only for that reason in my opinion.
- scratch on phone 3: legit and big enough scratch that I would think could affect the camera.

Phone #1 appeared to be the best out of the group and I would really like to know if you tested the camera. I can't see dust in mine but I'm not looking at it through a macro lens. Just wondering if it would actually cause problems. Serious question.

Last edited:

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Don't listen to the fundamental Apple loyalists on here. They think anything with an Apple on it is perfect even though all your phones were clearly flawed or damaged out of the box.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Personal opinion:

Scratches on body: you're making too big a deal over it, with the exception of the third phone scratched near the volume buttons. Big and unnacceptable.

Camera:
- dust on phone 1: Did you try the camera out to see if it affected the pictures at all. It looks so small and irrelevant that it might not get in the way of picture. I can barely see it in those macro shot, indicating how small it really is. I would have kept phone #1 if this were the case. I can't even see the dent you're trying to show.
- smudge on phone 2: legit and big enough to distort pictures. Valid reason to return. But only for that reason in my opinion.
- scratch on phone 3: legit and big enough scratch that would think could affect the camera.

Phone #1 appeared to be the best out of the group and would really like to know if you tested the camera. I can't see dust in mine but I'm not looking at through a macro lens. Just wondering if it would actually cause problems. Serious question.

Thanks for giving your opinion on that!

To be honest, I also consider the first one to be the best iPhone 5 I got. Believe me the speck of dust under the lens cover is very big, but it is difficult to capture on camera. The dent I am talking about looks like rust and is fairly big, but I was more concerned about the dust. When I saw these flaws, I called Apple immediately without even turning the phone on. They told me that it is indeed unacceptable (the camera is sealed and must contain no dust at all, or it will collect more dust in the future) and sent me a new one (which came out to be the worst one out of three iPhones).

----------

Anyway, thank you all for telling me your ideas about my buying experience! Going to the gym now and when I am back, I will be very curious to read more of your comments.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Thank you!

I have used my Panasonic Lumix LX5, which I love! (made in Japan and had no scratches/dust under the lens when I opened it) :) It is a small but very capable and popular camera among photographers.

Cool thanks, dude. :)

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
If I were you I will keep returning iphones until I receive one that was flawless.

Unfortunately some day you could damage your iphone 5 and you will start thinking every day how bad your iphone looks.

Also maybe the best is to receive the money and go directly to an apple store to buy it.

irod87

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
I would have kept at least one of those phones. Normal wear and tear after owning it a month or so would give the same if not worse results. Missing out on a great phone seeking visual perfection.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
I would have kept at least one of those phones. Normal wear and tear after owning it a month or so would give the same if not worse results. Missing out on a great phone seeking visual perfection.

I am not worried about those tiny scratches, which will appear anyway. I am more concerned about dust and scratches on the camera lens. I quite often use my phone to take pics and capture video.

See you all later!

rollingstart

Jul 15, 2007
To be honest, I also consider the first one to be the best iPhone 5 I got. Believe me the speck of dust under the lens cover is very big, but it is difficult to capture on camera.

But did you actually take a photo with the iPhone to see if the photos themselves were affected?

You're being ridiculous, imho. And that poster who claims that anyone who says you're ridiculous is an Apple loyalist is also being ridiculous.

Machines don't make these products, people do. Expect tiny little flaws like this to occur in every thing made and inspected by human beings.

You're not OCD, btw. OCD is a very serious mental health problem.
Again, my opinion. You asked for them in your first post.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I believe the OP has grounds to get each and every one of those iphones replaced. I certainly would. As has been said, Apple rant on about their "amazing craftsmanship and precision" yet sell flawed phones.

The argument of "it would get scratches/nicks etc after a month of use" is just a feeble argument. I don't expect a NEW device to look a month old out of the box.

It's quite simple really.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
This is ridiculous. Besides the scratch on the left of the third phone, the other flaws aren't even noticeable. Your standards are far too high; there's no such thing as a perfect iPhone (regardless of model). Stop stressing so much about imperceptible cosmetic issues and just use the phone, jeez.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
That's what I am about to do.

Completely unrelated but mind if I ask what you used to take the pictures?

Related: My iPhone 5 wasn't perfect. After a "perfect" iPhone 4s I find it hard to live with an imperfect device. But I can use it, live with it, and focus on more important things. But that's a personal decision I made.

----------

Maybe it is worth a try to buy an iPhone 5 somewhere in 2013 when all these quality issues will belong to the past or just patiently wait for the introduction of iPhone 5S. We shall see...

I'm finding that buying the S version tends to result in all the problems being fixed. My 4s was "perfect" as perfect could be while all the 4 owners I know complain of all these problems I don't have. Maybe I was lucky but it does seem like the S version is a fixed version.

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
There were smudges, broken mic rings, and scratches on the camera lens. Do you know how much a brand new 64 GB iPhone 5 costs? If someone's going to dish out that much money for a phone, they have every right to expect to at least unbox it in flawless condition. OP brings up legitimate reasons of concern and has the right to complain -- especially since Apple places so much emphasis on how high quality their products are.

But did the phone take good pics even with that dust ? Was the battery good? Was the OS experience good? Was the call quality & network good? I'm pretty sure they all were, these little scuff you will only see them if you really sit there and stare at your phone & they have been known for a while that it happens to ALL black iPhone 5. So the OP was aware if he really reads this forum. It's either you sit there and complain about those little stuff because you might have nothing better to do than stare at your phone or go get a white iPhone and stop crying.

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
I wouldn't mind tiny dents at the side or back.
But even if it's only tiny dust or scratch at the front screen and the lens, i will rage swap the phone until it's perfect. I don't like to see at the screen and end up always noticing the scratch or taking horrible pictures just because the damn dust or scratch.

Davejprince

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
The Netherlands
Try another store, or maybe another capacity model.
There might be a few flaws with certain productions so I would just keep trying.
Altough a big part of the people who have purchased an iPhone haven't got any flaws I wouldn't give up and blame Apple to not deliver you a perfect in-the-box phone.
Good luck!

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
If the lens defects cause problems with the photos, then those are legitimate problems.

But every single other thing in here? I'm sorry, but that's the kind of stuff that will show up in less than a month on any product no matter if you use a case or not.

There's a reason used sites use the phrase "Good, but signs of use." No one would look at those photos and call those phones damaged...just "lightly used." And, assuming you're going to use this phone, you'll just end up in the same place in a few weeks anyway. So why care about it now?

This simply isn't true unless you throw your phone about - mine isn't in a case, is either in my pocket (with nothing else), on a desk or side cabinet and it hasn't got a mark on it since launch day. I've dropped it off the sofa onto hard wood floor a couple of times as well.

I don't like my yellow/green tinted screen one bit but aside from that the phone is perfect.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
It's your money, your phone and your opinion of what you expect from a NEW phone. I would expect a flawless phone out of the box as well. For the price you pay and the fact you are supposed to keep the same phone for 2 years, you should expect a quality product.

I could totally understand going to a different phone.

I would keep trying unless it's a total inconvienience. I only say that because of how much I enjoy my i5. I would go to a store, if possible, and inspect the phone before taking it home. Make them bring you one until you are satisfied with it.

That said, the SG3 is supposed to be a very nice phone.

masciam

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
I've been reading about the quality issues and was worried about them when buying my phone. The ip5 just launched (last friday) here in Brazil and I went to a store so I could check the phone and every one they had there was perfect, no scratches whatsoever. Maybe the new batches are better?

Mark316

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
Keep returning it until you get a perfect one. The whole "oh who cares about a small scratch it'll look like that in a month anyways" argument is crap. If Apple was some kind of discount phone maker sure, for 300 bucks I'd say you get what you pay for. But for the money Apple wants for these things they better deliver on their end of the bargain as well, which includes coming in brand new condition.

kadillac

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
What a joke. There is no QC issues here, not damaging to their reputation. This is the same with any electronic. You're being OCD. Luckily Apple is OK bending over for you, I would've just given you your money back and said GTFO my store.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
What a joke. There is no QC issues here, not damaging to their reputation. This is the same with any electronic. You're being OCD. Luckily Apple is OK bending over for you, I would've just given you your money back and said GTFO my store.

Looks like Apple's standard for quality is scratched and dented.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.