Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poliwag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
(Sorry if this is in the wrong section!)
My MacBook Pro had a harddrive issue recently and having only owned it 3 months apple replaced the harddrive for me. When I got it home I realised that they have restored it with Lion when the software I had previously was Mountain Lion. The store is shut so I'll ring tomorrow but I'm wondering everyones opinion - should apple send me a disc to update the software or something similar? I live far away from the store and I'm worried they'll say the only way they can help is if I drive there (it's an hour and a half!)
Thanks

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
they should install ML if it came into the store with ML.However, installing ML should be trivial right? You should have already bought it and installing it should be simple.

poliwag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
When I bought the mac it didn't come with a disc, mountain lion was just ready installed, else I wouldn't have much of a problem

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
So - your laptop had Mountain Lion on it when you bought it, and then Apple repaired it but when you got it back it had Lion, not Mountain Lion?

Then yes, Apple need to update it. It needs to come back with the factory default, as it was when you got it.

However, if you bought the computer with Mountain Lion already on it, then you can just restore it yourself using the OS X recovery system. Which might be easier than going back to the store.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
they should install ML if it came into the store with ML.However, installing ML should be trivial right? You should have already bought it and installing it should be simple.

It was an oem installation. It should have been returned with ML.

When I bought the mac it didn't come with a disc, mountain lion was just ready installed, else I wouldn't have much of a problem

That's normal. They no longer include disks as optical drives are being phased out of Macs whenever design changes are made. Mountain Lion should have been installed. I clicked thinking it would be an issue of an earlier build of mountain lion, in which case I would have suggested downloading the combo update. That is annoying though.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
If you go to the app store, does Mountain Lion show up under "purchased items?" If it does, then you can save yourself a trip back to the Apple store and simply re-download it. It's a 4.7 GB download so you will need a decent 'net connection and a bit of patience.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
My MacBook Pro had a harddrive issue recently and having only owned it 3 months apple replaced the harddrive for me. When I got it home I realised that they have restored it with Lion when the software I had previously was Mountain Lion. The store is shut so I'll ring tomorrow but I'm wondering everyones opinion - should apple send me a disc to update the software or something similar? I live far away from the store and I'm worried they'll say the only way they can help is if I drive there (it's an hour and a half!)
Thanks

Have you called them yet? Also you could just buy ML for 19.99 on the App Store if you have money in your iTunes account... But I totally understand why you wouldn't want too :/ the should have sent it back with ML.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
My MacBook Pro had a harddrive issue recently and having only owned it 3 months apple replaced the harddrive for me. When I got it home I realised that they have restored it with Lion when the software I had previously was Mountain Lion.

So they installed a hard drive that is a previous generation from what came with your MBP? I thought it was impossible to downgrade to an OS that is older than the one originally installed on a new Mac. If I'm right, then you not only got screwed with an OS downgrade, you got a hardware downgrade as well.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
So they installed a hard drive that is a previous generation from what came with your MBP? I thought it was impossible to downgrade to an OS that is older than the one originally installed on a new Mac. If I'm right, then you not only got screwed with an OS downgrade, you got a hardware downgrade as well.

It's not recommended, but not impossible. At one point I ended to run Leopard from an external drive on a Late 2009 MacBook (which snipped with Snow Leopard) and it worked perfectly. My 2008 MacBook Pro that came with Leopard can run Tiger virtually perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.