Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I can recommend a Berlin based company named "Teufel"

This set is STUNNING!

By far best value for money I have ever owned.

Ships with Decoderstation 5

I get DTS 5.1 & DolbyD 5.1 via Toslik.

Just use a Toslink cable and this adapter to plug it into your Mac's headphone jack.

Smaller options are available as well ;)

I would absolute +1 this!!! I own this set myself and it knocks you off your feet.

hkfan24

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
THX rated ones. Logitech, Klipsch, and maybe a few others make THX compliant speakers....and more much less money than many speakers that would not pass THX compliance.

LOL. THX Compliance for speakers and most audio related products means absolutely nothing. Not great advice at all.

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2012
North East US
I would stay away from the overpriced consumer grade boom-boxes like Bose and such and look at either some decent hifi speakers with an appropriate amp (something like a used NAD amp with Paradigm speakers or so) OR go to a professional music equipment store and check out near field monitors. Some of the very basic ones such as the entry level KRK or Mackie powered speakers are very good.

They don't go BOOM like Bose or any 5.1 system with a sub but sound more like things were meant to be, especially music. The little Mackie 5" speakers can be had for under 500 a pair and come pretty close to hifi-like sound and are not to "purist" from a music producer standpoint. Pretty good bass for general purposes (a bit too much if you're using it for actual mixing perhaps). I prefer KRK.

MacFoodPoisoner

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
Can anyone suggest speakers with good highs and mids, if it's some out there hi tech brand all the better, I really like to buy the underdog vs. the established player when it comes to speakers. I 'll be listening to rock/jazz mostly and audiobooks. Thanks.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
Can anyone suggest speakers with good highs and mids, if it's some out there hi tech brand all the better, I really like to buy the underdog vs. the established player when it comes to speakers. I 'll be listening to rock/jazz mostly and audiobooks. Thanks.

From the reviews I've read, the Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 seems to qualify in your parameter. I've a pair on the way. I could let you know. :D

Sound really is an individual thing. I'm not someone that expects or demands that bass shake my thoracic cavity at the expense of clarity and articulation.

I used a vendor (Crutchfield) with a 60-day satisfaction guarantee, so, no worries.

MacFoodPoisoner

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
From the reviews I've read, the Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 seems to qualify in your parameter. I've a pair on the way. I could let you know. :D

Sound really is an individual thing. I'm not someone that expects or demands that bass shake my thoracic cavity at the expense of clarity and articulation.

I used a vendor (Crutchfield) with a 60-day satisfaction guarantee, so, no worries.

thanks man!

Wakeywarrior

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2012
I don't want anything on the desk- going for the minimalist look that the iMac gives- spoils it with speakers and wires.

Could I Bluetooth all the audio to my Logitech Wireless Boombox sat on my bookshelf?

ottawaP5

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
I've had MM-1's for over a year now and I am still impressed with their sound. If you want a lot of bass than this is not the speaker for you.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I kinda wonder about the Bose companion 5.

I have the companion 5's. I like their sound, especially when gaming. Call me crazy but I think the "sound coloring" bose does isn't half bad. I listen to music without any EQ settings or sound enhancing settings in iTunes.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

I use these. They sound pretty good for the price, but I do have one complaint. The cable between the speakers is quite short and I have them on either side of a 24" monitor. I am not sure that it's long enough for a 27" monitor.

----------

Absolute agreement. A5's are brilliant. I had a pair of Bose Companion 2 speakers and they were so horrible with that cheezy out-of-phase effect...I just threw them in the trash.

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment regarding Bose.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Logitech Z5500 best pc speakers around for the money

Not even close. I owned the Z5500s for years. I now have the Audioengine 5s. These speakers kick the Logitechs to the curb.

I recommend the Audioengine 5 or 5+ without hesitation. Killer speakers at a killer price.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I didn't want to drop the coin on the B&Ws (even though all my other speakers are B&W) so I went with

Audioengine D1
Audioengine A2 with the tilt bases

They're surprisingly good for something small that sits on a desk. Bass, not much.

I have a pair of the M-Audio AV40s at another work site, and they're fine, but larger than the A2s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.