Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
No, never. I only use my camera for photos. I don't see any problem with it however - it just seems awkard to me.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
I have an iPad 2, so no...

I think for the iPad, they should upgrade the front facing camera before the rear.. people clearly would benefit from this with all the self portraits and FaceTime going on...

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I do take pictures with my iPad for quick things in good quality - usually at home, though. Sometimes when I'm out and about on vacation trips, too.

I usually use my iPhone to take pictures of things when I'm out with friends, or see interesting things in the city, etc.

I have a professional Canon camera that I use for events, parties, graduations, and hobby photography.

But I have used my iPad to take pictures, and I do regularly as well.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I use mine to take pics and videos all the time. But I don't think I would take it to a football game. Way too much shoving, etc. if you really want pics maybe pick up a couple of disposable cameras.

It's not about looking silly. Eventually you have to get over what others think. But in this case it's probably more about the hassle and potential for damage to your iPad.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Twice because I didn't want to get off my ass to grab my phone when my dog was doing something stupid. /shrug

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
Yes although I use it more for video over photos. Lets face it if you walk around taking photos you're going to look like a tourist no matter what camera you use - who cares.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
No, its too cumbersome. Because there are many other easy/convenient readily avaliable alternatives i.e. phone, disposible cams, small digital cameras out there, to use an 9 inch ipad looks a bit nonsensical to say the least.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I have seen a lot of people taking picture out of iPad at the Space Shuttle museum I thought it was crazy. I can use it for home only. :apple:

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
The pictures are OK. If you have nothing else the go for it.

I'd worry about security in a crowd. Make sure you have a case in case it gets dropped. A strap would be nice. A small back pack would be good for those times when you are not using the iPad. Where it across your chest. That way someone can't reach in and steal the iPad without your knowing it.

The pictures are OK, especially when there is a lot of light. I take a fair amount of photos with my iPad. It works well when you just want to document something or have a picture available to email to someone.

Go outside and take a few pictures to get a feel for it. The biggest problem I imagine is that the field of view is rather wide. The players will all look like little dots. But if you just want pictures of you and your friends or other things kind of close it could be good.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Never understood the "it looks silly." No it doesn't? It has a camera, one that is semi-decent and will work for most peoples needs, so why not actually use the camera? Cause your afraid a select few of people will think you look stupid?

The people who think you look stupid are the same people who would make fun of people in school cause they actually did their homework or were smart.

I race Remote Control Cars and their is someone who records all of his friends races with a tablet. Does everyone their think he looks silly? Nope. Though silly is him racing with a GoPro Strapped to his head to record his car. Silly but cool.

Also why care what people think of you? In my mind you're "cool" if you're not afraid to get your tablet our to take a photo/video. The people that seriously say it looks silly are the ones that are silly.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
I've used my iPad 2 often for photos. It takes great pictures so long as you use it in bright light.

I've also seen lots of folks using their iPads for photographic purposes and think it's rather cool to see savvy people using great technology!

Now, I will be honest in admitting that since I got my iPod Touch 5G, that's my camera option of choice because of the flash and the fact it fits into my pocket.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I would use the camera if it were superior to the iPhone and I had a cellular model (therefore carrying the iPad outdoors). As it is, I would never use the relatively low quality camera. I don't understand why the iPad even has a rear-facing camera.

roccobladr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
I dunno if I'd take it to an eagles game. Us philly sports fans can get wild, but then again we don't have anything to get wild and rowdy about this year so you should be fine!

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
yes, I do with my iPad mini. small enough that it doesn't look as strange. but as some people have stated, tablets are becoming so commonplace nowadays that its not strange anymore.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
sometimes I do; more while inside the house or few times outside.

It still looks a bit silly using iPad for photography; but hey, why not. Better shot with an iPad compared to no image. People and I will get used to it.

Actually I on purpose tried it as Disney Land (Tokyo) with the iPad because at that time is was my only HD recorder for video. Was nice actually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.