Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
What in the world so you do with your device? I charge my iPhones, iPads, and iPods every 3 to 4 days. You must have a lot of junk running in the background all the time, or leave the screems on when you're not using them.

----------

And I suppose you want longer battery life too.

It's not an issue of people using their phones wrong (thank you channeled Steve Jobs). There is a bug in the software. I spent hours and hours trying to figure out what was wrong with my sister's iPhone. She couldn't make it more than a few hours. I disabled everything that could possibly be causing it. She finally went to the Apple store and they replaced the phone. It came with iOS 5 on it. No problems. As soon as she updated to iOS 6 Everything went to crap again. Undoubtedly, there is something somewhere in her settings that is corrupt, but since it works fine in iOS 5 there is some bug in iOS 6. Just because you were lucky enough not to have an issue doesn't mean you can assume that it doesn't exist.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
ok apple defender. Thank you for replying

I think that default apps feature is far more important than "do not track" or "passbook"

What big features has ios 6 brought? NONE
passbook/do not track/new mail app/apple maps/panorama

All of those are either not significant or have been already released in android

It was google who imitates apple, not it is the opposite (siri, panorama, .... nfc in 2013)

I hope apple give us some nice features in 6.1 and not little tweaks here and there seriously

Your not going to see new features in a x.1 release.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Getting closer and closer. Even though its still a none-update feature wise i hope they fix majority or all of the bugs and do something about battery life.

EDIT: In before "Installing..." and "Downloading..."

Regarding battery life, I ran into a problem recently where my battery was being drained much faster than usual. Try quitting all 3rd party apps in the multitasking tray. That resolved the issue for me though I'm still trying to figure out which app it was.

Dannypdrsn

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2010
Hi Mike,

Yes, LTE is ACTIVE on my iPhone 5 (Using Telia). I did't change any networksettings or anything. Just updated to the 6.1 beta :) Getting about 20 mBit/s i Copenhagen.Image

Do you still have the LTE toggle, after updating to beta 4? I've updated OTA to beta 4, and my LTE toggle is gone. Same is the LTE connection. Using Telia DK in Aarhus

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
What in the world so you do with your device? I charge my iPhones, iPads, and iPods every 3 to 4 days. You must have a lot of junk running in the background all the time, or leave the screems on when you're not using them.

In my situation it was not different usage. My phone used to go for a couple days on a charge. After installing the latest OS on my 4S, the charge does not even last a day. So it's not usage, it's bad software design! :mad:

----------

it's not an issue of people using their phones wrong (thank you channeled steve jobs). There is a bug in the software. I spent hours and hours trying to figure out what was wrong with my sister's iphone. She couldn't make it more than a few hours. I disabled everything that could possibly be causing it. She finally went to the apple store and they replaced the phone. It came with ios 5 on it. No problems. As soon as she updated to ios 6 everything went to crap again. Undoubtedly, there is something somewhere in her settings that is corrupt, but since it works fine in ios 5 there is some bug in ios 6. Just because you were lucky enough not to have an issue doesn't mean you can assume that it doesn't exist.
+1

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
people posting about battery life.. It's a smart phone, what do you people expect? I read once a while back that the average smart phone has more power than the Apollo 11. :

The average smartphone selling today has more compute power than a Cray 1 supercomputer (7 tons, 150 killoWatts + a cooling tower).

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
This is a myth. Only the most recently used apps are using any resources at all. The rest are in suspended mode.
I do not believe this is completely true. I have a VOIP App "Bria" that is running in the background constantly to allow for incoming phone calls. So does not matter when it was started. I think a close all would be a good option.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
I do not believe this is completely true. I have a VOIP App "Bria" that is running in the background constantly to allow for incoming phone calls. So does not matter when it was started. I think a close all would be a good option.

Are you sure that it's not using push notifications like all other voip apps out there (Skype, fongo etc...)?

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth

http://developer.apple.com/library/...cationsFlow/ManagingYourApplicationsFlow.html

Audio is one of the multitasking states that can remain running in the background for longer than say the 15 minutes for a data download. Makes sense because there are 2 podcasts or audiobooks that people want to listen to so it is a good idea to shut those apps down if you want. Though if you launch a resource heavy app the audio will get terminated by the OS.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Are you sure that it's not using push notifications like all other voip apps out there (Skype, fongo etc...)?
Yes. I use Talkswitch for the server and it only supports UDP and not TCP. If my Talkswitch used TCP then I would not have the problem. It uses a keep alive option to make it work and that uses battery. I am normally on power during the day and just have to remember to close the App at the end of the work day.

Read more if you are just curious .....

FROM THE BRIA SUPPORT SITE FOR UDP PEOPLE:
In addition, if you are using Bria iPhone Edition version 1.2 or later, you can fine-tune the Run In Background setting. Go to Accounts > Account Advanced and try changing the Keep Alive fields.
Try changing the intervals to a bigger number (e.g. 45 for Wi-Fi or 15 for Cell). However, if calls start to drop, go back to the defaults (30 for Wi-Fi and 9 for Cell).

FULL STORY HERE:
https://support.counterpath.com/default.asp?W541

----------

http://developer.apple.com/library/...cationsFlow/ManagingYourApplicationsFlow.html

Audio is one of the multitasking states that can remain running in the background for longer than say the 15 minutes for a data download. Makes sense because there are 2 podcasts or audiobooks that people want to listen to so it is a good idea to shut those apps down if you want. Though if you launch a resource heavy app the audio will get terminated by the OS.
I just went to your link and found the following. Another reason to allow for CLOSE ALL APPS. It would simplify things.

Hopefully very few Apps do the following:

Background Execution and Multitasking

In iOS 4 and later, multitasking allows apps to continue running in the background even after the user switches to another app while still preserving battery life as much as possible. Most apps are moved to the suspended state shortly after entering the background. Only apps that provide important services to the user are allowed to continue running for any amount of time.

As much as possible, you are encouraged to avoid executing in the background and let your app be suspended. If you find you need to perform background tasks, here are some guidelines for when that is appropriate:

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
This is a myth. Only the most recently used apps are using any resources at all. The rest are in suspended mode.

Not quite. While people complain about not being able to background apps on iOS, some apps actually do continue to run in the background.

Most apps don't. But if somebody runs Waze(or any navigation app), or MagicJack, Skype, or any VoIP app, there's a chance they arn't suspending when you leave to go to another app because those classes of apps don't have to suspend.

One of my friends is new to the iphone and asked me to explain why her's keeps draining. Took a while to figure out but it's because she uses Waze quite a bit, and it seems it keeps going when she's done. Dunno how to tell it to allow suspend.

MagicJack appears in the auto-kill logs on an old itouch for work, so I know that one keeps running too, but it seems to behave pretty nicely when backgrounded.

The proper solution is that the app devs figure out how to best handle being in the background. But it's not exactly an easy thing to do. This is likely why multitasking was restricted on iPhone in the first place.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

how on earth do u go 3 or 4 days with one charge on the iPhone? i have to charge mine at least once a day, sometimes even twice but i also use it almost every few minutes

LastMinuteMike

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
Hi Mike,

Yes, LTE is ACTIVE on my iPhone 5 (Using Telia). I did't change any networksettings or anything. Just updated to the 6.1 beta :) Getting about 20 mBit/s i Copenhagen.Image

Nice! Som jeg forstår det, opererer Telia på frekvenserne 1800/2600 i Danmark. I Sverige opererer Telia på 800/1800/2600, så det bør også fungere her, eller hvor? :)

DMH3006

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
Lost the LTE toggle on my carrier,had it on beta 3 now on beta 4 its back to 3G:(
hopefully they're simply updating and working with the carrier to get it running(only 2 places in a 3KM radius can use LTE where i live)

Sony311

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
A refresh on your phone will fix that. Had the same issue. Just make sure you BACKUP your data! Then select it as a NEW Phone and once everything backup and running transfer your data and apps. Works like a charm!

All i need is better battery life, its just draining. it should last at least 2 days but i cant get to the end of 24hours.

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
You can send your request here: http://apple.com/feedback/.

Cursing on an internet forum won't have any effect.

Neither does that feedback link All you ever get from apple feedback is total silence.

I have had some very good suggestions and issues, and none of them were ever addressed, or even queried.

One of them being the swoosh sound before SMTP negotiation bug in mail.
The other being the problem of Exchange mail on Wi-Fi. Both of which were never mentioned in beta updates.

Feedback simply does not have any effect. Maybe you need to be someone special. Spending multiple $1000s on gear and being a loyal customer does not seem to qualify or have any bearing on the problem.

Apple? I am always waiting and willing to hear from you.

mytakeontech

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
I think things are changing for Apple. I see a lot more people with Samsung phones in my group. I changed almost all people to get iPhone in the past but recently I see more and more Samsung phones.

Apple has to do something to take this fight to next level or they will lose the market share.

Masterkona

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
I suspect the Iphone 6 will be a full redesign. I also suspect they are moving towards making it a more proprietary device. The internal components will be brand new tech that will
blow away Samsung. Let's Pray the courts succeed in granting an injunction against samsung devices. I will be furious if they don't. They are making it clear that allowing them to sell their cloned tech is causing it damaged that can't be remedied with licensing fees.

The attack Ads only add wood to the fire.

I suspect Apple has an overhaul of IOS in mind that will change the look enough to force developers to not be lost, and to not scare consumers, but to rekindle the "Wow Factor". Liquid metal and some sort of "New Technology" will play a part.

They are investing billions into something. I somehow doubt it's being spent on upgrading Siri.

Samsung has taken advantage of the knowledge it gained of Apples supply chain to copy it's business. They make good LCDs, however their phones were always just okay.

Samsung will be lost once Apple beats it by using tech that they aren't familiar with or that is proprietary and exclusive to Apple. New materials are certainly not FRAND, and Apple will have no obligation to license anything.

Last edited:

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I think things are changing for Apple. I see a lot more people with Samsung phones in my group. I changed almost all people to get iPhone in the past but recently I see more and more Samsung phones.

Apple has to do something to take this fight to next level or they will lose the market share.

What does this have to do with the 4th Beta of iOS 6? When we come into this thread we're looking at getting information about iOS Beta. I don't think anyone really wants to come across a post about your Samsung using friends here. Not that that's not valuable information but this perhaps is the wrong thread to broach that subject matter

$.02

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.