Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newyorkone

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
No thanks...

Apple Maps is working fine for me in NYC. Don't need no stinkin' google maps and their big brother tracking and sponsored search returns.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Steve Jobs wouldn't want me to download it.

Seriously?

Right, and 9 in 10 didn't download it, which is probably why 90% of people claim their maps work just fine.

Note that the 1 in 10 includes people like myself who downloaded it to toy around with, to realize Google still doesn't have 3D of their town and shows your apartment as a corn field (admittedly, as does Apple maps), and won't actually be using it.

So you're saying that 10M is not significant? Is that right? Really? Ok. Feel free.

Steve J0bs

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
Don't get me wrong I personally had no problems with Apples new maps, but the new google maps is simple, feautureful, fast, and all around great. This is probably one of the few apps I wish I could make as the defualt on my iPhone.

Ps the voice of the lady giving turn by turn directions is very appealing as well.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
I downloaded it and deleted it because I got tired with Google annoying me to log in each time I launched the app. Sometimes their data tracking business comes on a little too strong.

Plus, when it comes to navigating in Northern New England - Apple and Google both are equally unhelpful.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
"The number of iOS 6 downloads has likely increased quite a bit over the last three months, indicating that the majority of iOS users have chosen to stick with Apple's Maps application rather than switching to Google Maps, despite the rampant complaints about the quality of the built-in app."

A more plausible explanation is that the remaining iOS 6 users simply have no use for mapping software, and so they have no need/motivation to replace Apple Maps.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that Apple customers have "indicated" their preference - that's pure conjecture.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
"Tell a friend"... so we can make money off their location and searches too....... no thanks big G.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It would be interesting to be able to look 6.5 years into the future and see how far ahead Apple Maps will be compared to Google after the same time to develop.

Because Google has stopped doing anything/everything with Maps? No - they are moving forward too. Will Apple "catch up" - it's hard to say. To assume they would be where Google WILL be in 6.5 years though is unlikely. Will they be where Google is TODAY - I'd say they'll be further. But Again - Google isn't just stopping their Map business.

Even if 1/3 of all users download and switch to Google maps google just went from having 100% of the iOS map market, with a contract that one assumes paid hard dollars and had other benefits to Google, to having only 30% of the market without any direct revenues.

If Apple sticks to improving its maps as it goes this will only decrease, not increase. If Apple completely abandons its maps then Google has provided a much better implementation for free than before (note how this one will do turn by turn navigation?)

So how exactly is this a win for Google?

Business 101. Before - Apple cut Google out and therefor Google had little to no "Apple" map business. Now they've reclaimed 10%. And that's just in 48 hours.

Going from 0 to 10% in 48 hours. How is that not a win?

GregAVL

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
I am sticking with Apple Maps. I have used it on several long-distance trips and haven't had a problem yet. I know results may vary, but I have been completely satisfied with it so far.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I wonder if this is total number of downloads or accounts that downloaded. I say this because many families will just use the same account to download their apps once on to 1 computer but then sync multiple iPhones to that computer. So, 1 account could actually equate to 3 downloads if there are 3 family members sharing the same account.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
It is important for "leading edge adopters" and "mission critical users" to have access to an established map app. The majority of users infrequently use maps and use them is common places. The process of the "middle of the bell" users using the app and reporting issues will make maps from Apple as much better every month or so as it has improved since release. A year or two from now the concern will evaporate and the added integration features iOS 6.x offers will offset the inconveniences of finding and reporting errors. This is the Apple business model.

What I wonder is what applications Apple envisions relies on maps to work and have not been released yet. If it is something for cars and transportation vehicles the market could be very large and untapped. Bigger than Apple TV IMHO.

Rocketman

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Why, just because its better than Apple's maps app? Or because it really is THE best app in the AppStore? I haven't used it much, hence why I'm asking.

Personally, for what I use maps for, it is the best. I know people that swear by Waze, though.

angrynstupid

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
In the long run

This is bad for Google. Apple Maps will get better and will be a clear alternative to Google Maps.

Oh, and did you know that Google's AdWords and AdSense is all stolen technology? Just Google Vringo.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
If Apple had stayed with Google maps, we would still use old Google maps without turn-by-turn navigation.

Exactly. The haters will fail to recognize this fact.

To sum it up: Apple plays hardball = we get a better app from Google than was there before. Aaaaand we get to choose (or not) to use Apple's built in option as well.

Kudos to Apple. Thank you. Once again, we the users win thanks to you.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Any feedback you have is welcomed, here in G+ or in the app (just shake it).

So that's how you do it! I ended up going to Maps on a computer to send feedback. If only this feature was more intuitive...

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
Though 10 million is a significant number, it still represents just a fraction of iOS users. Only three days after iOS 6 was released on September 21, Apple announced that it had been downloaded onto more than 100 million devices.
Lets not forget that iOS includes iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad - Google Maps users are likely to be just iPhone (no 3G on iPod Touch so less likely to use Maps, and the new Google Maps is not currently available for iPad).

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
This is bad for Google. Apple Maps will get better and will be a clear alternative to Google Maps.

Oh, and did you know that Google's AdWords and AdSense is all stolen technology? Just Google Vringo.

Yes, I'm sure Google is wallowing in their sorrow. Seriously, on what ****ing planet is this bad for Google?

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I've recommended it to all my friends, because it's a pretty good app, and because it's rather small, and because it's "free". There are a lot of good reasons to have this on your iPhone, and not many for leaving it off.

For me, though, having used it a bit, it's going to be the fall-back maps app. I like Siri's turn-by turn better, and Apple's maps aren't bad where I am.

I'll probably delete MapQuest and Here maps from my iPhone. I don't ever use those.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Lets not forget that iOS includes iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad - Google Maps users are likely to be just iPhone (no 3G on iPod Touch so less likely to use Maps, and the new Google Maps is not currently available for iPad).

Also don't forget people downloading once but syncing to multiple iOS devices. These would only be counted as 1 download, unlike iOS 6 which requires multiple downloads for multiple devices.

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
Meh

Meh

I downloaded it, hate it just as much as the new Apple Maps.

New Apple Maps - great UI, crappy data.

New Google Maps - crappy UI, great data...

How about you two kids kiss and make up and give us one map app with a great UI and great data? Is that asking to damn much? Really?

And git off my lawn!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.