Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I had the Linear EX on my 4S and it was a very nice case. Pretty much a matter of preference between the two in terms of style. Protection wise, the Neo EX might be a little bit more resistant to drops because of the interior bumper piece.

http://techmusings.me/back-to-black-and-red-and-silver-and-matte

Yeah, I have both right now, returning the Hybrid. I'm sure it has a bit more protection, but it is much bulkier than the Linear EX.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
For anyone else who orders from Caze and doesn't receive a tracking number, I used a method found by JNGold that worked for me. Answering questions in this and the other Caze thread; yes, the delays are because of Hong Kong.

Go to this page and put in your order number. Take the number and put it into the USPS tracking site(if you used the standard shipping).

http://www.iphonecaze.com/gettracking

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Yeah, I have both right now, returning the Hybrid. I'm sure it has a bit more protection, but it is much bulkier than the Linear EX.

Did you get the original "thick" Hybrid EX or the Slim? I would suspect that the slim wouldn't be bulkier than the EX.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Did you get the original "thick" Hybrid EX or the Slim? I would suspect that the slim wouldn't be bulkier than the EX.

I got the slim model. It's not a bulky case, but it's nowhere near as sleek as the Linear EX.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Can you take some comparison pics?

It's very hard to tell the difference by having the cases side by side (and I only have 1 iPhone so can't get a picture of them both installed side by side). In reality, the Hybrid is not all that much thicker than the Linear, but it gives the impression that it is visually and in hand because it has the rubber lips on the front and back, whereas the Linear, like the Caze, fits nearly flush.

The other thing is that the Linear is extremely solid when installed. It is very difficult to remove and there is no flex - it almost feels like part of the phone. The Hybrid is very flexible, especially on the long edges and is not a tight fit.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
The other thing is that the Linear is extremely solid when installed. It is very difficult to remove and there is no flex - it almost feels like part of the phone. The Hybrid is very flexible, especially on the long edges and is not a tight fit.

Does the Linear for the ip5 have lay on table design?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Does the Linear for the ip5 have lay on table design?

On the back it wraps around just slightly to set the aluminum off of the table. On the front it just fits over the chamfer but does not obstruct any of the glass (there is just the slightest gap around the edge of the glass and the inner edge of the case). It is still ever so slightly higher than the glass, however, so if you lay it face down it is resting on the case, not the glass.

jammerz

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
On the back it wraps around just slightly to set the aluminum off of the table. On the front it just fits over the chamfer but does not obstruct any of the glass (there is just the slightest gap around the edge of the glass and the inner edge of the case). It is still ever so slightly higher than the glass, however, so if you lay it face down it is resting on the case, not the glass.

Will the linear fit if you have side skins? And is the headphone jack large enough to fit any earbuds other than apples earpods?

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Will the linear fit if you have side skins? And is the headphone jack large enough to fit any earbuds other than apples earpods?

Dude, take the side skins off. The aluminum edges are pretty resistant. It's the chamfered edges that's really the problem. If you put a case on, it's going to be protected. Most of the cases you have been asking about are plastic or soft touch plastic. I wouldn't worry so much.

jammerz

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
Dude, take the side skins off. The aluminum edges are pretty resistant. It's the chamfered edges that's really the problem. If you put a case on, it's going to be protected. Most of the cases you have been asking about are plastic or soft touch plastic. I wouldn't worry so much.

Yea I guess. Personal preference to keep it on, keeps my OCD in check, lol. I too have been experiencing some "give" on the sides of the Caze thinedge, so I am looking for an alternative.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

Headphone jack is very small.

No idea about side skins, but I doubt it. It fits extremely tightly.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I just received this case today. It is a nice case, but IMO, too much "wiggle" on the side with the clip. Not the clip itself, but the whole side. Not what I would call a tight fit. Still, not a bad case.

alleyooptroop

macrumors regular
May 4, 2010
I just received this case today. It is a nice case, but IMO, too much "wiggle" on the side with the clip. Not the clip itself, but the whole side. Not what I would call a tight fit. Still, not a bad case.

how long did it take to get to you? did you get a tracking number emailed?

jammerz

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
how long did it take to get to you? did you get a tracking number emailed?
I ordered Nov 30, received Dec 10. I didn't get an email about tracking or anything. I emailed them asking for a tracking number the day my case arrived lol.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
I do have to comment that the second case that Caze sent me (Silver), which btw was my original order they sent Black, seems to be much tighter and less give. The side of the phone seems to snap into the side of the case. I don't get that with the black version. I wonder if Caze changed something with the build process for the "newer" cases.

jammerz

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
I do have to comment that the second case that Caze sent me (Silver), which btw was my original order they sent Black, seems to be much tighter and less give. The side of the phone seems to snap into the side of the case. I don't get that with the black version. I wonder if Caze changed something with the build process for the "newer" cases.
Update in a few weeks to tell us if it loosens over time.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Update in a few weeks to tell us if it loosens over time.

Will do. Any closer to what you are going with next? The Neo Hybrid Ex is disappointing hacking the same problems as the 4/s versions. The Sllm Linear looks nice but I want to see son more reviews of it. I had it for the 4/s as well. Nice case but it was a bit different than the 5 version.

jammerz

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
Will do. Any closer to what you are going with next? The Neo Hybrid Ex is disappointing hacking the same problems as the 4/s versions. The Sllm Linear looks nice but I want to see son more reviews of it. I had it for the 4/s as well. Nice case but it was a bit different than the 5 version.
I don't know yet. Spigen is an innovative company with good customer service. Even after returning the Neo Hybrid EX, I would like to re-buy from them. I won't go with the Hybrid EX Slim, I think I'll run into the same problems with a loose bumper over time. Linear Slim is going to be the next move, when they get the red back in stock (I might wait until Dec 26 for a discount too, lol).

I'm also interested in bump, this bumper that came out recently from New Zealand... but I think I'm going to have issues with it lifting my GA.

Sigh... I might as well just get some double sided tape and use it on the inside of this Caze thinedge, lol.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
I don't know yet. Spigen is an innovative company with good customer service. Even after returning the Neo Hybrid EX, I would like to re-buy from them. I won't go with the Hybrid EX Slim, I think I'll run into the same problems with a loose bumper over time. Linear Slim is going to be the next move, when they get the red back in stock (I might wait until Dec 26 for a discount too, lol).

I'm also interested in bump, this bumper that came out recently from New Zealand... but I think I'm going to have issues with it lifting my GA.

Sigh... I might as well just get some double sided tape and use it on the inside of this Caze thinedge, lol.

LOL (tape idea). I just put in an order for a Metal Slate Linear slim. :)

jammerz

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
So Caze has some great customer service. I emailed them complaining that there was a defect in my red clip (added pictures), and I received a response from Jennifer who said that they will ship me a product replacement in 2 days! Will follow up as to when I get the replacement.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
So Caze has some great customer service. I emailed them complaining that there was a defect in my red clip (added pictures), and I received a response from Jennifer who said that they will ship me a product replacement in 2 days! Will follow up as to when I get the replacement.

That's surprising considering they never sent half of their customers any sort of reply. I think you just got lucky

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012

The bump looks like the overly thick Apple-style, Chinese knockoff bumpers, not even the thin-style knock off bumpers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.