Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
I wonder if the final version of 6.1 will have map improvements, but just haven't been put in the Betas. From the looks of it, we'll have to wait until iOS 7 for transit directions, etc. Sigh.

In all honestly, Apple's current method of handing this is great. For instance, you can Apple's Maps App use any third party transit App you want, including Google's.

Heb 7:4

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2011
I dunno, these sales look very inaccurate. Google Maps gets 10 million downloads in 2 days, but only shows up in the Top 10 of a few random countries. I would have at least expected it to crack the Top 10 in every country (not just Greece, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Ireland, New Zealand, and Australia). Maybe these Top lists are based on staggered weeks.

It's number one in the UK. Apple maps is absolute dog***** here. Google maps is quality. So so happy to have it back.

Also, as a side note, I noticed a minor error 2 days ago. A house I was looking was in the wrong place by 4 houses. Did the shake to report, and it was fixed today.

Just brilliant :)

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
I never said anything about use. I said 10M downloads in 48 hours is impressive.

X number of people download lots of apps in the appstore only to never use them - that doesn't make the download count any less significant.

I will admit it sounds impressive, but I don't have anything to compare it to.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
It's number one in the UK. Apple maps is absolute dog***** here. Google maps is quality. So so happy to have it back.

Also, as a side note, I noticed a minor error 2 days ago. A house I was looking was in the wrong place by 4 houses. Did the shake to report, and it was fixed today.

Just brilliant :)

I will admit the shake to correct feature is cool. Apple hasn't made it super obvious to report errors. Google did have the second mover advantage there though.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Call me crazy, but I actually prefer Apple maps over Google's. Google Maps voice is a lot more pleasant to listen to than Siri though.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Apple makes the best hardware.
Apple makes the best end user OS, regardless of platform.
Apple has the best customer support.
And "the Google" makes the best map app for iOS.

I can live with that. :cool:

best hardware - no
best end user os - no....
best customer support - yes.
best map - yes, google.

If I wasn't such a music nerd with a big itunes library i wouldve jumped ship.
the iOS 6 generation sucks

Tjex

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2012
maps.google.com still can't find my house, so no point in downloading it and being a statistic.

I paid 135 people a dollar to submit a request to Google (business expense) to fix this issue. I have also been doing about 4 times a year since maps was released by Google. I'm hoping one day it gets fixed. I also hope when it does, other GPS systems get their data fixed as well.

Maybe I should send a certified letter to resolve this issue once and for all instead of telling customers that my location is about 15 houses further down than were it says.

Have you tried adding it yourself on google.com/mapmaker ?
Doesn't support all countries yet though...

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
The fact that it has a 4.5 star rating indicates that it is pretty significant.

I strongly disagree. I downloaded the app about fifteen minutes after it was released. There were about 14 thousand reviews at that point, most of them five stars. The problem with that is none of those people actually had time to adequately test the app in that short a time. People were downloading it and giving it a five star rating without testing the app. So while it might be true people love the app, the rankings can't honestly be a reflection of that when people were reviewing the app BEFORE trying it.

denmarkguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
Apple vs. Google 0:1

hello mighty Apple, I hope you will take a lesson about doing everything by yourself. Cooperation can be also good thing, even if you won't earn so much $$$. We love you and expect you give us some love and respect in back.

hondo77

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2011
I Downloaded It...

...and had a chance to use both Apple's maps app and Google's for a trip this weekend. Much to my surprise, I actually preferred Apple's audio turn-by-turn directions to Google's. More testing is needed, to be sure.

Jonny Quest

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2010
I only downloaded it for street view. Google's route wanted to take me 20 minutes out of my way on a 45 minute trip. I'll stick with GPS Drive as I have for the last 4 years. Google does NOT equate to great (not even good).

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Meh

I downloaded it, hate it just as much as the new Apple Maps.

New Apple Maps - great UI, crappy data.

New Google Maps - crappy UI, great data...

How about you two kids kiss and make up and give us one map app with a great UI and great data? Is that asking to damn much? Really?

And git off my lawn!!!

git: 'off' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

Did you mean this?
diff

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The only thing that's worrying to me is that Google is providing their own UI design at every level of the app, particularly the fonts. I know that is their right, but going away from the "iOS standard" in this area is what will make iOS a mess in the future. They should maintain at least some adherence to the look-and-feel of the platform they are running on. On a positive note, they are sticking to a very high standard and clean design (and that's something that Apple gets credit for establishing), but please don't make my iPhone look like an Android phone. :p

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
9 of 10 don't use maps

MacRumors should be renamed to MacSpin.

The original article is laughable at its logic.

By comparing an app download vs system update, the author somehow deducts most users prefer Apple Maps. Seriously? :rolleyes:

The most accurate comparison should compare Google Maps and every other app in the appstore. Chances are there are way more Google Maps downloads in the first 48 hours than any other app ever released. Do we have a figure of the app download times in the entire appstore?

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I strongly disagree. I downloaded the app about fifteen minutes after it was released. There were about 14 thousand reviews at that point, most of them five stars. The problem with that is none of those people actually had time to adequately test the app in that short a time. People were downloading it and giving it a five star rating without testing the app. So while it might be true people love the app, the rankings can't honestly be a reflection of that when people were reviewing the app BEFORE trying it.

True. But in about a week or so, the rating should reflect the app's quality.

TBH though, an hour is really all you need to check out the maps portion of the app since not everybodu has a need for navigation. Also, I saw some 1-star rating on the front page, with the comment being "Google Maps. No Thanks.". But those are just fanboys and there probably aren't too many of those.

I will say that I expect the rating to stay above 4.5, mainly because most of the complaints regarding Apple maps were outside of the states.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Define best hardware? There's faster out there, there's also more reliable hardware out there, theres also more reliable hardware out there thats faster.

If we're talking smartphone hardware, I think your points are questionable on all counts, no?

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere

yes it is all part of a google conspiracy. They planted 15,000 reviews in the app store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.