Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

didof993

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
So, lately I'm searching for an adapter which can make my iMac 21.5 inch into a monitor for my ps3. I've searched on youtube but the only things that I've found was "How to make your iMac 27 inch into a monitor for ps3"

Do you have any idea how i'm going to do this ???

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
So, lately I'm searching for an adapter which can make my iMac 21.5 inch into a monitor for my ps3. I've searched on youtube but the only things that I've found was "How to make your iMac 27 inch into a monitor for ps3"

Do you have any idea how i'm going to do this ???

You can't. You could do it with the 2009 and 2010 27" iMacs, but not on any 27" iMac with Thunderbolt, and you've never been able to do it with any 21.5" iMac.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
I know that there were some adapters which allowed iMacs to take a HDMI video-in; don't know if any of those would work with the newest model.

Another, though somewhat more expensive, and possibly less effective (I don't know), method would be to get an external video capturing device (e.g. Blackmagic Intensity Pro) and run the video through that. Assuming the iMac is capable of handling a live playback stream (an issue of processing power, not connectivity), then this would certainly allow for an external device to be viewed on the iMac as a monitor.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012

vooblu

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
The 2012 iMac's only support video in via a thunderbolt connection (something which can't be done with a PS3). An HMDI -> Thunderbolt adapter does not exist.

Only option is to use your TV. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.