Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
Yes, please! And make Safari more consistent with the OS X Version (gray, combined search/address bar)

While they are at it, they could make some of the icons cleaner looking.

I think the reason for the separated search/address bar is so that Apple can offer a different keyboard layout based on what text field you are in. If you are typing a URL, the keyboard is more laid out for typing in a URL, if you are in the search text field you get the classic typing iOS keyboard.

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
I think things are changing for Apple. I see a lot more people with Samsung phones in my group. I changed almost all people to get iPhone in the past but recently I see more and more Samsung phones.

Apple has to do something to take this fight to next level or they will lose the market share.

A lot more people own Ford rather than Mercedes. That doesn't mean Ford makes a better car (sometimes they do, most of the time they don't). Which would you rather drive?

The same analogy is true for Apple products vs. everyone else.

blackbox100

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
I hope they release this update quite soon and hopefully it activates the LTE in Scandinavia as well!

I bought my iPhone on the day of release and still... No LTE! My carrier does have LTE on their other capable devices, such as the Galaxy SIII, but it requires a software update to work over here. Bah!

Anyway, still waiting!

works perfectly with 3.dk and telia.dk with 6.1 beta 3 here in denmark

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Regarding battery life, I ran into a problem recently where my battery was being drained much faster than usual. Try quitting all 3rd party apps in the multitasking tray. That resolved the issue for me though I'm still trying to figure out which app it was.

A couple of apps I find as battery draining culprits are WhatsApp and MapMyRide both of which seem capable of taking hours off my battery life if left unchecked - I make a point of quitting both from the task switcher when I'm not using them.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
How about everyone just stops crying about Apple maps. It works brilliant.

Apple maps speaking turn-by-turn directions works great for me. I have only seen one issue (and it was a new road that I think was previously a one-way service drive). The convenience of using my iOS address book and clicking on addresses in e-mail messages is awesome!

Occasionally I can't find a store or business, but that's true for my new Garmin maps or even Google maps on the web.

It's not like you can compare Apple maps speaking turn-by-turn to the old Google Maps app, they just added this feature (and until they integrate with my address book, I don't see me using it). Since I never used google maps in this fashion, I used the one in my car.

FYI, I've seen plenty of problems with google maps in the past and I saw 99.9% of these by looking at the directions before driving (duh!). I used to look at the maps the AAA person put in my triptik before driving too :)

Please don't confuse Apple 3D Satellite view problems with actual direction problems. I'm generally not looking at satellite pictures to figure out my directions; sounds pretty unsafe for driving.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
FYI, I've seen plenty of problems with google maps in the past and I saw 99.9% of these by looking at the directions before driving (duh!).

Interestingly I've never heard any public outcry or 24/7 media coverage of Google's map deficiencies, of which there are many. Go figure.

Masterkona

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
Regarding Apple maps. Seems most are more than happy with it. I know I am. The " Problems"with Apple Maps are 90% Hype. Software can and will be fixed, and very quickly.

10million downloads of Google Maps in the first 48 Hours means less then 3-5% of IOS devices running IOS6 opted for it. Not impressed!! :D

ggarthe

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
how on earth do u go 3 or 4 days with one charge on the iPhone? i have to charge mine at least once a day, sometimes even twice but i also use it almost every few minutes

For me it's not so much about what I'm doing but where I am. At home where I have a constant strong WIFI signal, I can go two, sometimes three days before needing to plug in. Work is a different story. WIFI coverage is sporadic at best and almost useless when found, so I spend the majority of my time there using the cellular connection for data. Sometimes I'm lucky to get through a 10hr shift without getting the 20% warning.

mytakeontech

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
What does this have to do with the 4th Beta of iOS 6? When we come into this thread we're looking at getting information about iOS Beta. I don't think anyone really wants to come across a post about your Samsung using friends here. Not that that's not valuable information but this perhaps is the wrong thread to broach that subject matter

$.02
The relation is that the iOS betas are not bringing much to keep us excited about iOS.

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
Hi Mike,

Yes, LTE is ACTIVE on my iPhone 5 (Using Telia). I did't change any networksettings or anything. Just updated to the 6.1 beta :) Getting about 20 mBit/s i Copenhagen.Image

Correct me if I'm wrong. You're saying that with this update the iPhone supports 800mhz or 2.6ghz? Seriously? :eek:

Sweet!

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Regarding Apple maps. Seems most are more than happy with it. I know I am. The " Problems"with Apple Maps are 90% Hype. Software can and will be fixed, and very quickly.

10million downloads of Google Maps in the first 48 Hours means less then 3-5% of IOS devices running IOS6 opted for it. Not impressed!! :D

That doesn't mean they are using it. Just that they downloaded it...

Since Apple Maps integrates with the address book and addresses in e-mail, most people with iPhone 4s and iPhone 5 will likely still continue to use the Apple Maps. The iPhone 4 and earlier users will like the free turn-by-turn directions, I seem them as higher users.

People who want public transit information with likely use it, since Apple Maps does not have that yet(!). I bet Apple hops on that quickly.

Personally, I downloaded it, checked the few out of the country locations I travel to and the Costa Rica coverage was better in the few remote places it was lacking in Apple Maps.

I tried it twice and put it away. It's a backup in case I need it (if Apple's cloud goes down). When they add address book integration, I'll play with it more. Or the next time I go to Costa Rica.

BUT, I think the Apple Maps verbal turn-by-turn is awesome so far, I see no reason to change to something else for use in the U.S. as long as I have cellular coverage...

Gary

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Seems like this theme of "My 'insert device name' doesn't work with my iPhone, when will a Apple fix it!?" has been going around since these devices were made, its sad people just don't learn to buy a $50 piece of hardware to replace the one that doesn't work rather than waiting for months (or ever) for Apple to not fix them because .... let me tell you which one is the issue hint: not your iPhone.

People usually blame what is in front of them. Right here in MacRumors forum a member asked why his iPhone doesn't work well with his 2005/6-ish 802.11g router.

But I understand. Most routers that are not Apple's Airport Routers are very difficult to configure and bombard the user with crazily complicated jargons and codes, and changing every setting requires a reboot of the router which takes forever. So people are literally afraid of the WiFi router at home and would rather not touch it or change it.

----------

That'll probably be saved for iOS 7. Along with new matte icons everywhere.

Right now it doesn't make much sense that new Apple apps like Maps, Passbook, Game Center and Reminders are all flat and matte while older apps like Phone, Messages, Safari and Photos are all round and glossy.

While I think that matte looks better, I'd rather have everything be glossy than have this kind of inconsistency.

Fat and round icons matched with the iPhone 2G/3G/3GS's style but Apple changed to a more squarish design since the iPhone 4 and hasn't updated the original icons since then.

----------

I'm not sure what they have been doing for the past year. I guess some of it has to do with conflicts with Scott Forstall and Internet service distractions (Siri and Maps). Now that Eddy Cue is in charge of those services, hopefully the iOS development team can focus more on the actual operating system.

iOS practically stopped developing any real new features since 5.0 :( glad that Forstall is gone now. Tim made a bold and good decision.

----------

This request is never going to get old... How about everyone just stops crying about Apple maps. It works brilliant.

It doesn't work brilliantly for me. Maybe for you.

----------

My wishlist is short:

- Let me customize the dock!
- Get rid of the stupid "Stocks" apps.
- Merge the "Videos" and "Music" apps/icons. What are music videos?
- Animated background images would be beautiful!

Music Video is Music:

You can't have a music video without the very music in the title
Video on the other hand can be either silent or with all sorts of music

uncertain.nomad

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2011
[...]And make Safari more consistent with the OS X Version (gray, combined search/address bar) [...]
Not gonna happen. Why? Ever noticed the different virtual keyboards based on the input field you're in (address vs. search)?
How would they solve that if they got no clue, what you're gonna do? Switch it on the fly? Introduce more keyboards? Layout switches? Dynamic change while typing.

Seems to me the current solution works quite nice. (until there's a better one :) )

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Most routers that are not Apple's Airport Routers are very difficult to configure and bombard the user with crazily complicated jargons and codes, and changing every setting requires a reboot of the router which takes forever.

So, are you saying that part of Apple's walled garden is a requirement to use Apple networking gear?

I thought that there were standards....

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
So, are you saying that part of Apple's walled garden is a requirement to use Apple networking gear?

I thought that there were standards....

I only mentioned that other routers are not as easy to configure so people are afraid to upgrade firmwares or change their network gears, and gave an example of a user asking why his/her 7 year old router didn't work well with 2012 devices. I never said it's a requirement for iOS devices to be used with Apple routers.... If it's the case I think my iOS devices can't connect to any WiFi hotspots outside my home!

My experience with WiFi on iOS varies. There is definitely some problem here, and my observation is that in the 'discovery' stage i.e. before you connect to that specific network, iOS is particular weak and usually give "cannot join the XYZ network' error message. If you walk close enough to the router, it magically connects, then you return to your original place and it's still full bars.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
The relation is that the iOS betas are not bringing much to keep us excited about iOS.

No it's more likely that you like to stink up iOS threads with threadcrapping. Remember these

Made the jump from Android...

So he'll be sorry huh?

Apple introduces new 7 inch iPad

:rolleyes:

You're not looking to deliver constructive feedback, you're here to push an Android agenda into threads that don't need it. Again ...there are threads that you can do this (Alternative OS) please let us discuss our iOS evolution sans the Android slant please.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
how many are there gonna be ? When will 6.1 be available ?

Add to this, i bet Apple still has not fixed that critical "in-app
purchase that that Russian guy flawed since IOS 3.

Maxipeg

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2004
Forced?

U guys think they'll ever add an option like

"Open with.."

Verse being forced to use apple maps, email, etc

Google now offers APIs for maps... it's just a matter of time before they become available again. MotionX let's you select different maps (Apple, Bing as well as its own maps). So it can be done...

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Does anyone know what would happen to my Dev account if I didn't renew, and had a device with the latest beta on it? Would said device, be locked until to Golden update rolls out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.