Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mudman2

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
Why, just because its better than Apple's maps app? Or because it really is THE best app in the AppStore? I haven't used it much, hence why I'm asking.

I downloaded and then deleted it , F Google I will stick with Apple

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
If Apple had stayed with Google maps, we would still use old Google maps without turn-by-turn navigation.

Not sure on that one. Was google non TxT accurate? Sure. Was it unsafe as hell when driving and having to manually forward to the next turn? Sure was. It wasn't enough to make me want to switch back to Android, but damn was the old google static maps irritating.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
10M - no matter how you slice it is significant. Any attempt to suggest otherwise is just utter nonsense.

And despite it being posted several times already - Apple had a contract with Google. That contract did not include TbT. When Apple wanted TbT - they had to renegotiate. Google wanted better branding on the app and that Lattitude be integrated. Apple didn't want this. So the talks ended.

Google never DIDN'T want to offer the added features. But they also weren't willing to shoot themselves in the foot. You might argue they did. I would argue that most likely - both companies did. Only - Google didn't get any bad PR out of the deal. Apple, however...

Sure - nor can one use the 10 million number to justify all this complaining about Apple Maps.....it's not a huge number relative to the number of users out there (or the number of complainers) just like the number of problems in Apple Maps is miniscule compared to the size/volume of data of the world's maps.

I find it fascinating that Google decided to release an app with all the things Apple originally wanted in the app, but were not allowed to add (turn-by-turn, vectors) due to Apple not wanting to give up more info....Apple bit the bullet, called Google's bluff and now Google, hurting because the iOS-user data pool is quite vast, offers all of that for free and hopes users will come back and send them more data.

All the more reason to continue using Apple Maps and sending them feedback - it was, is and always will be the only way Apple Maps improves/evolves (just like Google Maps). But, in the name of choice, I'm glad both are offered.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I'm guessing the 10 million downloads are mostly from people who live in Australia who don't want to drive into a pack of dingos. ;)

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Not being integrated with contacts
How did you come up with this? There is a restriction that the App must ask permission to access your Contacts but that does not mean it can not use them. Look under Settings / Privacy / Contacts and you will see which Apps have been given permission to access Contacts. Google Maps is not listed on mine. I have 4 listed. They are Bria, Navigon, iDayZ which I allow (ON) and Facebook which I do not allow (OFF).

Not integrating with Contacts is Google's decision, not Apples. For me where 90% of my addresses are in the Contact File it is a problem. As I have said before I do prefer their POI Database so for the other 10% I will use their Search to find the Address, at least until I get more confident with Apples POI.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
It's not really a choice when it's the default. If there was an option at install Apple or Google maps, then it would be a choice.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
yes it is all part of a google conspiracy. They planted 15,000 reviews in the app store.
Not likely. More likely it was the 15,000 MacRumors users I've been watching choke on their own bile who couldn't wait to make Google Maps the top rated app just to send a message to Apple.

I'm just thankful they chose App Store ratings over self-immolation. I honestly wasn't sure which way this one would break...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
According Techcrunch this iOS 6 adoption has not increased much since Google Maps:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/14/re...se-suggests-impact-of-apple-maps-exaggerated/

Well I know several people who still aren't upgrading until they know that developers are utilizing GMaps instead of relying on the integrated Apple Maps.

Further - I don't see why there would be significant iOS6 bump in the past 48 hours. For one - you don't need iOS6 (do you?) to test the software. You can download and try Gmaps on iOS 5, right? Also - if you own an iPhone 5 - you had no choice - it shipped with iOS 6.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I downloaded Google Maps once but installed it on all four of my iOS devices. I'm sure I'm not the only one they're only counting as one download when in fact the app is installed on multiple devices.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I liked the old google maps app when it was part of ios but this version sucks, for me it doesn't seem to work how i expect to and flips to screens i don't want etc. Frankly i now prefer apple maps version it has no errors that i can find but I do live in central london which would be a priority to get right.

Google are great at giving us products for free and i'm always concerned when they undermine other companies businesses such as sat nav. Google made it impossible to sell it anymore and as such eradicates the competition.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
I switched to iOS6 the day after Gmaps was released. It had been sitting on my phone for three months doing nothing but hogging up precious memory.

Yes, Gmaps is indispensable and the new app is lightyears ahead of Maps in iOS5. Turn-by-turn nav is as good as the built-in nav in our car.

The only things I liked better about iOS5 Maps was that traffic was easier to see, and the system-wide integration, i.e. contacts etc. I hope that will be possible eventually.

Apple's own Maps in iOS6? Eh...

It is no surprise that Google Maps is the most downloaded app right now. To me, it really is that good.

Last edited:

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Some of the anti-Google people posting, are sure filled with hate. It makes one wonder why they have so much emotion invested. Apple & Google are both good companies.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
Not to mention it has 20k ratings with a 4.5 star average. Huge success.

Too bad Apple probably won't recognize its success, it would probably be a shoo-in for best app of 2012.

Funny thing too. Apple gets no money for it b/c it's free. But they have to use their servers and bandwidth to dish their competitor product to their customers.

It burns.

:apple:

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Oh good. Now my phone takes me to Starbucks instead of Dunkin Donuts.

Best comment of the day!!! I have angry bird toooo. He live at factory and try to steal my lunch! :D

Downloads don't really matter as a stat for apps. The big thing is how long people keep it on their device. To be fair to Google though, there is no iPad version, so that could play into the downloads as well.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
The Google map rendering is a little bit laggy in my iPhone 5, and Apple map are smoother.

Not sure about your guys.

You're not the only one. It's slightly choppy on mine as well. Things like that annoy the crap out of me. Luckily, the location data for the Apple Maps app where I live has (so far) been accurate. Otherwise, I'd be in a bit of a pickle trying to decide with which one to suffer.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
As others have stated, this is just complete conjecture. Many iOS users have no idea yet that Google Maps is even available. In fact, I would guess that a large portion of iOS users don't even know that Apple switched from Google Maps to Apple Maps in iOS 6. Unlike the iOS6 update, which Apple pushes out to users via notifications, there is nothing to alert iOS users that a Google Maps is available.

This is like saying the majority of Windows/Mac users have chosen to stick with Internet Explorer/Safari instead of switching to Firefox/Chrome when in reality many just don't care or know it's available.

Shoddy journalism.

No kidding. But what do you expect. This is a site that makes a ton of money by taking other people's news stories, paraphrasing it, and posting it on their site.

:mad:

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
You're not the only one. It's slightly choppy on mine as well. Things like that annoy the crap out of me. Luckily, the location data for the Apple Maps app where I live has (so far) been accurate. Otherwise, I'd be in a bit of a pickle trying to decide with which one to suffer.

That's weird, 'cos I run Gmaps on my 3GS just fine...

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
YMMV but my first weekend with the Google maps app was a bit of a mixed bag
it finds all my POIs great. I didn't try but I don't think Apple maps wouldve picked up some of the POIs I entered.
However, I used it for the first time to navigate somewhere, and it navigated me to the correct area but I was on the other side of the road. but then it expected my to do a U turn on a random section on a major road! what's more, this U turn position that Google suggested just happened to be right before a big bridge, hence I had to cross the bridge, (whilst it keeps on insisting that I have to do the suicidal U turn, to find a turn off so I can then head back. the whole incident took 15 minutes to resolve.)
I know apple maps wouldve made me do a turn in prior to the destination and go on a side street to turn back in on the right side of the road.
I do like that Google maps tells you your ETA straight on the main screen

TechieGeek

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Apple makes the best hardware.
Apple makes the best end user OS, regardless of platform.
Apple has the best customer support.
And "the Google" makes the best map app for iOS.

I can live with that. :cool:

Nah man, Apple makes the best looking hardware and a pretty end user experience. Gotta hand it to Apple though, their customer support is awesome.

But let's not get carried away with saying best hardware or best OS ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.