Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yes because hardware is like Pokemon to me, I have to collect them all...

Enjoying my Wii U, will definetly pick up the PS4/Orbis.

Though I've had every revision of Xbox 360, I may skip Xbox 720. Lately Microsoft hasn't made any exclusive games that have appealed to me at all.

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
No, we have a Xbox 360 in our house, but I feel like Microsoft has too much control at this point, and that the gaming experience is starting to suffer on consoles in general. I just want to play a game. I already have cable, I don't want to play extra just to load up Netflix, and I honestly don't see the need of pretty much 90% of the content on the dashboard.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
Realistically I'm not interested in either. I've made my choice for the next generation, and that's the WiiU. I'm not really into that many modern games, so as long as there's enough first/second-party releases of Nintendo's main IPs to keep me busy then I'm happy.

I'm more into my arcade games to be fair. Much as I love me a new Mario or Zelda (and hopefully a Pilotwings U), I'm more likely to be playing on the Neo•Geo or the Astro City.

:apple:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'll get the PS4 for sure, not decided on the Xbox. It depends on what they do.
Right now I go for PS3 because I prefer how they handle accounts, I like how I can buy PS1 games and play them on 3 different consoles, I like how future proof it all seems to be and how it's evolving with PS+, Cross-Buy, Playstation Mobile. I like how it's a very good bluray player, how it has iPlayer and features that don't require I buy a subscription for.

Microsoft seems much too closed for me. If the next Xbox is a bit more open and evolves then I might be tempted, but I'm not a fan of their IPs so it really is a services+hardware combo that would push me to get one.

WiiU, PS4 and PC is what I'm looking at.

----------

It all depends on what the hardware is, if the xmb or menu system isn't slow to respond like the current systems, and how little or much cross titles there will be.

The XMB and Xbox Metro menus are slow?

lightz39

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Xbox most likely. Its funny how a generation can change everything. I LOVED my ps2(100s of games for it) and ended up chucking my xbox. This generation the ps3 is a slow pos and xbox hands down won.(If not for ps3s exclusives they wouldn't even be in talks).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Xbox most likely. Its funny how a generation can change everything. I LOVED my ps2(100s of games for it) and ended up chucking my xbox. This generation the ps3 is a slow pos and xbox hands down won.(If not for ps3s exclusives they wouldn't even be in talks).

Out of curiosity how is it a "slow pos"?

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Had a 360 in it's early days, went through 3 and said forget it, and got a PS3, though when I think about it I've always been a Sony diehard...just the PS3 was too expensive for me at the time.

What the 360 does better than PS3 is achievements. It just doesn't compare, and I loved getting achievements, though I will admit that I was at one point just playing games to get them, and probably not playing the game itself.

Since I tend to lean heavily to RPGs, I will stick with PS3/PS4 when it comes out since RPGs seem to lean more towards that system. Was not really a fan of 360 RPGs aside from Tales of Vesperia.

I will wait till the games catalog grows a bit though.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Consider most exclusives have come to the PS3, blu-ray player and no online fees for multiplayer I feel in this gen the PS3 is the best buy.

Now for the next next-gen which the TS has to change the title of the thread since the Orbis would be the PS4 ;) , I will hold until 2016, not enough money at the moment and my backlog is huge! Got a few weeks back many good PS3 games for $1-2 used.:cool:

I do think my next console is prob. not gonna be a console and instead go back to playing PC games. The graphics difference is gonna be staggering in the next few years and w/ things like steam it's easy and cheap to run games w/out worrying w/ the many thing sone had to in the 90's w/ PC games.

Antares

macrumors 68000
I’ll probably get a PS4 because of the exclusives. The Xbox doesn’t have as many exclusive games that interest me. I can’t say 100%, though, until we know the actual specs. Part of what made the PS3 an easy buy for me, instead of the 360, was Blu-ray. Who knows what Sony and Microsoft's next system will. If Sony will have 4K output potential, that will future proof the PS4 and make it another easy buy.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Nope and Nope. I don't find myself gaming enough to worry about it, yet.

lightz39

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Out of curiosity how is it a "slow pos"?

Slow menus, lack of ram(half of xbox) makes games like Skyrim damn near unplayable. Just doesn't feel snappy like it should.

I'll give sony one thing. PS+ is extremely worth the price.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Slow menus, lack of ram(half of xbox) makes games like Skyrim damn near unplayable. Just doesn't feel snappy like it should.

Weird, I find it completely the opposite of the clunky slow Xbox Metro and WiiU interfaces! XMB is instant, I can change settings, browse my games and videos in no time and gets me into games quicker. (I wonder if that's to do with how Xbox handles cloud saves, which are synced at console boot and shutdown)
I find the Xbox onscreen keyboard incredibly slow to navigate too. Picked up a keyboard to make entering text quicker!

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Had the PS2. Skipped the PS3. Will probably buy the PS4, unless Sony drops the ball big time.

Other than the Halo franchise, no XBox titles really interest me. Gotta admit, Microsoft does one helluva job marketing the Xbox.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Maybe on the PS4, No on the Xbox 720, as I'm getting an Xbox 360 for Christmas.

----------

The part about the games is due to Bethesda's horrible optimizing for PS3. Games that make use of the PS3 fully often tend to look better and play better than the 360 variants.

lightz39

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Weird, I find it completely the opposite of the clunky slow Xbox Metro and WiiU interfaces! XMB is instant, I can change settings, browse my games and videos in no time and gets me into games quicker. (I wonder if that's to do with how Xbox handles cloud saves, which are synced at console boot and shutdown)
I find the Xbox onscreen keyboard incredibly slow to navigate too. Picked up a keyboard to make entering text quicker!

I wish I had your luck. I press my PS Home button and it takes a few seconds for it to load. I press my xbox guide button and its just there.

----------

Maybe on the PS4, No on the Xbox 720, as I'm getting an Xbox 360 for Christmas.

----------

The part about the games is due to Bethesda's horrible optimizing for PS3. Games that make use of the PS3 fully often tend to look better and play better than the 360 variants.

I have yet to see a "better looking" game on the ps3. Generally they look better for the xbox as its easier to optimize for. This is well known.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I wish I had your luck. I press my PS Home button and it takes a few seconds for it to load. I press my xbox guide button and its just there.

It sounds like something is up with your console. Pressing the home button on all my consoles brings the menu up instantly, there's maybe a half a second delay on the 3DS, WiiU and when running PS1 games on PSP.

I have yet to see a "better looking" game on the ps3. Generally they look better for the xbox as its easier to optimize for. This is well known.
Multiplatform games can go either way, it depends on many factors (it has nothing to do with the Xbox being "easier to optimize for") such as the engine used, where memory is allocated, the history and abilities of the developers etc. Generally the PS3 GPU is better, there are more 1080p and 3D games on PS3 than Xbox and then you have the exclusives that are currently the best this gen (Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Beyond).

The PS3 was a slow burner.

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
Right now I go for PS3 because I prefer how they handle accounts, I like how I can buy PS1 games and play them on 3 different consoles, I like how future proof it all seems to be and how it's evolving with PS+, Cross-Buy, Playstation Mobile.
Microsoft seems much too closed for me. If the next Xbox is a bit more open and evolves then I might be tempted, but I'm not a fan of their IPs so it really is a services+hardware combo that would push me to get one.

----------

The XMB and Xbox Metro menus are slow?

Interesting. I absolutely abhor the PSN. Organization is bad, it's still too slow, and as usual, too much crap. I still don't see the desire to use PS+.

And yes, the XMB and Xbox Metro menus are terribly slow, ESPECIALLY when trying to access them in game. On PSN, trying to send a msg to someone in Dark Souls/Demons souls is useless if you want to walk through it at a decent pace. Same with thee Xbox, if I want to quickly check something during a loading screen, I really can't as it also is too slow. Both should be almost instantaneously available, INTO AND out of.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Yes, PS4 first then I'll wait for all the kinks to be worked out of Microsoft box...I won't stand for the next gen RROD from MS.
Also if MS don't show me some exclusives besides Forza, Halo and Gears then there's no reason for me to own the next MS box.

Bless

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.