Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
So Apple could you please replace you ****** Maps with the real Google Maps - sick and tired of all the faults and apple's useless maps app.

So pleases Google made this and guess google is pleased now - every one know who make the best map app.

You lost this one Apple!!!

heh heh.. I think you need to keep you account better.

Before IOS 6, Google map has 100% of IOS map market. Now it has less than 100% (not everyone will use Google map. There is a population who never use map on a device and then there are some that had already get something else in the last 3 months).

And before IOS 6, Google won't do turn by turn navigation in IOS because it wants to keep it exclusive to Anroid. And when Apple push, Google want branding in the app or include Google latitude in the. Now Google provide turn by turn in IOS and get neither one of their demand in return..

What did Google win in this skirmish?

P.S. look like in the first 48 hours, users download over 10m google map from the app store. And within a weekend user download 100M ios 6.. Where are the other 90M user that still don't have Google map do now? Is google ever going to get back these users? What did Google win again?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1509574/

Last edited:

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I never cared for Google maps all that much and saw iOS 6 Maps as a big leap forward. I like it and have not had any problems. The turn by turn works and even when I drive off course on purpose, it puts me right back. I see no reason to download Google Maps and take up space with it but I also don't understand why anyone would want to run Windows on a Mac. To me that is like turning loose a bag of roaches in a clean kitchen, but to each his own.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
I see no reason to download Google Maps and take up space with it but I also don't understand why anyone would want to run Windows on a Mac. To me that is like turning loose a bag of roaches in a clean kitchen, but to each his own.

1) I think it's always good to have a backup, if Apple's map servers have issues, it'd be nice to be ready with a backup at a moments notice. It's not like Apple hasn't even had any cloud issues....

2) My other reason for grabbing it is that Apple's map app coverage of some other countries is lacking (for me I notice it when looking at Costa Rica maps).

C) Not really a reason, but the space it 'takes up' is only 6.7MB, not really a deal-breaker on the space limitation. (A few large photos in an e-mail attachment is larger than that.)

Now the copy of CoPilot GPS that I keep on there with a 500MB-ish download with the maps for off-line viewing is probably a waste of space, but until I can tell the map apps to cache certain areas for me, I'll probably keep it on there....

Gary

bobby68

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009
When I end a call, I have noticed that the GPS arrow is showing. It's only Google Maps that have used GPS recently, when I look in Locationservices, and I haven't used Google Maps the last two days.

Have anybody else noticed that? Why do Google track my position when I make/receive a call...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.