Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
bootcamp, isn´t parallell on these new beasts doable for most stuff ? if you have ai7 608mx and flash HDD, windows 3d software and games should run rather ok´ish ? (i know SSD or not the bottleneck here though) I would love not to to bootcamp anymore - im so sick of it.

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007
As some users know,
i'm a big fan of the Lacie SSD solution.

For completeness and fairness of information, i want to add a piece of info i stumbled upon which is puzzling me.

I have two drives, both are the same Lacie 1tB SSD model.

So what, you might say...here we go: one is perfectly silent, the other one has the internal vent always on. Always. It doesn't matter whether there's activity or not, the vent is always on. The opposite goes for the other one: the vent is always off. I've tried all possible combinations, and clearly one of the two is not performing the way it's supposed to. I obviously prefer the 100% silent one, but if that means that being silent means it will cook, obviously this is one point in favor of the internal option. The noise is not particularly loud, but it's definitely there. Benchmarks and performance are exactly the same.

Lacie support is telling me the fan is supposed to be intelligent and not to be always on, which would make sense, but then again i've not yet managed to get the silent one to ever turn the fan on, which is making me doubt a lot and worry for its reliability (i copied files on it for one hour...it certainly went hot but fan never kicked in. Performance remained the same).

Will report on the evolution of this, and if anyone has similar experience its welcome to share its knowledge.

EDIT: will open a post for this so that we can separate the things.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
As some users know,
i'm a big fan of the Lacie SSD solution.

For completeness and fairness of information, i want to add a piece of info i stumbled upon which is puzzling me.

I have two drives, both are the same Lacie 1tB SSD model.

So what, you might say...here we go: one is perfectly silent, the other one has the internal vent always on. Always. It doesn't matter whether there's activity or not, the vent is always on. The opposite goes for the other one: the vent is always off. I've tried all possible combinations, and clearly one of the two is not performing the way it's supposed to. I obviously prefer the 100% silent one, but if that means that being silent means it will cook, obviously this is one point in favor of the internal option. The noise is not particularly loud, but it's definitely there. Benchmarks and performance are exactly the same.

Lacie support is telling me the fan is supposed to be intelligent and not to be always on, which would make sense, but then again i've not yet managed to get the silent one to ever turn the fan on, which is making me doubt a lot and worry for its reliability (i copied files on it for one hour...it certainly went hot but fan never kicked in. Performance remained the same).

Will report on the evolution of this, and if anyone has similar experience its welcome to share its knowledge.

EDIT: will open a post for this so that we can separate the things.

I too have a pair of LaCie enclosures, but I did not buy mine retail, I purchased "refurbished" disk models. LaCie recently upgraded their Little Big Disk to have SATA-III on the internal bus and I suspect the "refurbished" ones that are on sale cheap are the previous chipsets which have SATA-II on the internal bus. I think if we compare DiskSpeedTest results this will be confirmed.

So ... we probably don't have the exact same model ... if it makes a difference? Although the 2TB disk model I purchased has the same model number as the one they are currently selling.

On both of my units, the fan seems to run continuously, and although they aren't all that loud, one is almost silent while the other makes a bit more noise. Since I removed the hard disks (which do need the fans) and replaced them with SS drives, I unplugged the fans for silent operation with the hope that the SSDs would not overheat. I do notice that the ribbed aluminum case gets slightly warm after intense usage over 1/2 to 1 hour, it seems to be cool enough that I will probably keep them that way. I need to dig out my digital multimeter with temperature probe and try to measure the inside temperature of the SSD cases when I get a chance.

As to your situation ... possibly the tech was right and the fans should be automatically regulated, but that would make me think both of your are defective. If they really are supposed to run continuously (as the hard disk models do from other's complaints about the noise), then one of yours isn't working. Possible causes are: defective fan, unplugged fan, fan power wires not routed correctly and are pressing against fan hub or blades. You might try rotating the fan by hand with a pin or something that will fit through the grill to check for binding. Unfortunately, in order to open the case, you have to break the seal over the case screws which will void your warranty. In my case ... I didn't care as the enclosure was cheap and I already had the expensive SSDs which have their own warranty.

Maybe others will report as well ....

-howard

Here is my LaCie with a pair of Crucial M4 512GB SSDs in RAID-0 over Thunderbolt interface for 1TB total.

Attachments

• LaCieSSD.png
    LaCieSSD.png
    721.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I finally received my iMac today, and of course immediately loaded it up and then ran DiskSpeedTest and AJA disk test on the internal 768GB SSD ...

-howard

Attachments

• iMac768GB_SSD.png
    iMac768GB_SSD.png
    722.4 KB · Views: 58
  • iMac768GB_SSD.pdf
    68.2 KB · Views: 119

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
I finally received my iMac today, and of course immediately loaded it up and then ran DiskSpeedTest and AJA disk test on the internal 768GB SSD ...

-howard
happy for ya man!...ill have mine probablly next spring sometime by the way this shipping is looking lol

----------

happy for ya man!...ill have mine probablly next spring sometime by the way this shipping is looking lol
i ended up after all that back and forth just upgrading my order and getting the ssd instead of fusion and now that i saw those read and writes, im happy i did. Guess ill be getting flamed right along with you now for my stupid purchase

Yougotcarved

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012

----------

i ended up after all that back and forth just upgrading my order and getting the ssd instead of fusion and now that i saw those read and writes, im happy i did. Guess ill be getting flamed right along with you now for my stupid purchase

did you call apple up and change it from what you had before? how easy was it and did it delay your order? i got fusion but thinking about changig to ssd

Yougotcarved

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012

----------

did you call apple up and change it from what you had before? how easy was it and did it delay your order? i got fusion but thinking about changig to ssd

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
yea i called them up, as long as isnt saying preparing for shipping on your status you can...It wasnt hard at all, except on my wallet. but im honestly glad i did, i was going back and forth, so i figured screw it just do it and dont regret it later...but yes call them asap when you make up your mind and get it done..He said it shouldnt effect the date at all, if it did it would be only by a day or so, so nothing major, you wont have to fully cancel and then reorder if thats what your worried about

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.