Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
I remember watching a comparison between both phones on Techno Buffalo. Regarding Specs and rounding up numbers, the S3 has better specs but in terms of performance and benchmarks, the iPhone 5 beat the S3.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I tried out the Samsung Galaxy S3 against iPhone 4S and iPhone 5, the phone I enjoyed the most would be the one I kept, I gave them all a chance over a month or so. Previously I have had iPhones 3GS, 4, 4S and 5. In the end I sold both the iPhones. I haven't regretted my decision.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I remember watching a comparison between both phones on Techno Buffalo. Regarding Specs and rounding up numbers, the S3 has better specs but in terms of performance and benchmarks, the iPhone 5 beat the S3.

You must be referring to this one. I saw it too, and I think it's quite a fair comparison.

Last edited:

FlingZXC

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
I prefer gaming experience to performance . Although iPhone won Slll in performance , but you can't really see the difference in gaming . And iPhone uses cached multitasking while Slll uses true multitasking . Can't really compare much .

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I think the S3 feels better in my hand, but I have man hands. Do you really think that everyone on the planet has the same size hands? If you think that anything placed on someone's hand feels exactly the same when placed in another person's hand, then you are kidding yourself. I like the size. The iPhone in an OtterBox was good also but still felt small in my hand. I had all the iPhones on launch day except the 5. Still have a couple in the family. I was ready for a truly larger screen for my use. My wife was not. But she sold her 5 and went back to her 4S because of all the issues.

Typical Samsung defensive statement. You brought size into the argument and that's not even what I was talking about man. Seriously. I didn't even mention it. I was talking about the build quality and feeling in your hand of the iPhone vs. Galaxy.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Typical Samsung defensive statement. You brought size into the argument and that's not even what I was talking about man. Seriously. I didn't even mention it. I was talking about the build quality and feeling in your hand of the iPhone vs. Galaxy.

To be fair, the size of the device also plays a role in how it feels in your hand.

----------

10x better

1) Ecosystem:
Fact 1: Better and more exclusive apps. Better and more exclusive games.
Fact 2: Non-exclusive apps and games come out first on the iPhone, in most times months before Android.

Generally speaking, all big and small design houses and game studios either don't give a ratsass about Android or treat it like a second-rate citizen. May be that will change in 5 years but this is how it is now.

2) Security:
Stricter App Store review process and 10 times less malware.

3) Support:
You will be waiting very very long for that new shiny Android update that Google has just rolled out. On iOS? You get the latest and greatest a few seconds later.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I could talk about things like elegance, ease of use, details etc but this is all subjective. A nerd for example might not care or appreciate that but the first 3 points I listed are hard facts.

You say stuff like 10X better and 10X less malware and then actually go ahead and claim these to be hard facts? Come on man. At least try to appear non-biased.

BTW, Nexus devices get updates right away.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
10x better

1) Ecosystem:
Fact 1: Better and more exclusive apps. Better and more exclusive games.
Fact 2: Non-exclusive apps and games come out first on the iPhone, in most times months before Android.

Generally speaking, all big and small design houses and game studios either don't give a ratsass about Android or treat it like a second-rate citizen. May be that will change in 5 years but this is how it is now.

2) Security:
Stricter App Store review process and 10 times less malware.

3) Support:
You will be waiting very very long for that new shiny Android update that Google has just rolled out. On iOS? You get the latest and greatest a few seconds later.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I could talk about things like elegance, ease of use, details etc but this is all subjective. A nerd for example might not care or appreciate that but the first 3 points I listed are hard facts.

In my experience non exclusive apps are better on Android due to iOS restrictions.

Dropbox for example, "automatic" upload requires me to "manually" open the app. You can share to dropbox from messages but not the camera roll. Why? Same goes with Google drive in iOS.

You can't default anything. So if you like chrome or atomic browser you are going to be thrown into safari on ever link click. Same applies to camera+, pretty much a waste of money. Plus saving from a 3rd party camera roll requires user instruction every time.

Files are saved with apps like videos off the web played in a player. I can't view this file with other apps? Maybe I can its certainly not user friendly.

I think a lot of apps are prettier however iOS restrictions can cripple them in function. You'll never see an automation app like tasker on iOS. The phone setting to silent when I get to work via GPS location is just smart. Why hasn't apple made a native app for this yet?

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
The Nexus 4 looks great if you're with a GSM carrier like AT&T though. A Verizon customer wouldn't be able to use the Nexus 4.

Good info, I did not know that.

As for the battle of iPhone vs GS3, we could argue this forever, but it will come down to personal preference.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
It's all down to personal preference. If you want a more customisable experience and value features such as usb otg, expandable memory or a removable battery, then go for the Samsung.
I have a galaxy s3 but I can accept that the iphone is the better phone in terms of build quality and user experience (for the average user). However, the iphone 5 costs around twice the price so of course it should be better

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
In my experience non exclusive apps are better on Android due to iOS restrictions.

Dropbox for example, "automatic" upload requires me to "manually" open the app. You can share to dropbox from messages but not the camera roll. Why? Same goes with Google drive in iOS.

You can't default anything. So if you like chrome or atomic browser you are going to be thrown into safari on ever link click. Same applies to camera+, pretty much a waste of money. Plus saving from a 3rd party camera roll requires user instruction every time.

Files are saved with apps like videos off the web played in a player. I can't view this file with other apps? Maybe I can its certainly not user friendly.

I think a lot of apps are prettier however iOS restrictions can cripple them in function. You'll never see an automation app like tasker on iOS. The phone setting to silent when I get to work via GPS location is just smart. Why hasn't apple made a native app for this yet?

I agree on some, and some not. Restricting is always a double-edged sword but it is necessary. Something like being able to select a default browser makes zero sense when 99.9% of your users use the default web browser.

I am pretty sure iOS7 will have some sort of inter-process communication where third party apps can communicate and integrate better. We will see. But so far, most of the issues you listed don't matter to the avg. iPhone user.

----------

To be fair, the size of the device also plays a role in how it feels in your hand.

----------

You say stuff like 10X better and 10X less malware and then actually go ahead and claim these to be hard facts? Come on man. At least try to appear non-biased.

BTW, Nexus devices get updates right away.

I really don't need to waste time googling for you. Not a month will pass by without some exploit here, some malware there. The reality is that the Android market is poorly regulated and apps can request insane privileges to your system.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
The iPhone unless you want a big phone. Samsung took every feature the iPhone had and ghettoized it (S-Voice). Blantantly ripped it. It has NFC but who ever uses that?

Or we could look at it another way. Apple took every feature of Google's Android OS and created blatant and ghetto rip offs, like say iMaps, Notification Center, split Keyboard, Priority (aka VIP) inbox, and so on.

Of course, Samsung has multi-screen capability, picture in picture video capability, nfc and Google Wallet capability, a fully adjustable camera with burst and best shot capability, smart stay ensures the screen doesn't go to sleep if you are looking at it, wireless charging capability, and of course more RAM, SD card capability for more storage and so on.
So which of these things did Samsung rip-off from Apple? Oh, that's right, iPhones can't or don't have any of these features.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I agree on some, and some not. Restricting is always a double-edged sword but it is necessary. Something like being able to select a default browser makes zero sense when 99.9% of your users use the default web browser.

I am pretty sure iOS7 will have some sort of inter-process communication where third party apps can communicate and integrate better. We will see. But so far, most of the issues you listed don't matter to the avg. iPhone user.

----------

I really don't need to waste time googling for you. Not a month will pass by without some exploit here, some malware there. The reality is that the Android market is poorly regulated and apps can request insane privileges to your system.

99.9% of ios users don't have a choice. I find safari completely lack luster and featureless. But yet I use it because I'm defaulted there and instead of trying to remember which browser I had which tab opened in I use safari. On android I use dolphin browser because I like it the most, stock browser has never been opened. I don't see how improved user experience makes no sense. It's not like you HAVE to do it, just use the stock browser if you don't want to be bothered with choice.

I really hope iOS 7 brings something new to the table. I'm a little nervous being a 4S user I'm going to get left out of a good feature though.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Performance Wise the iPhone 5 is unbeatable by any other device out there currently.

Specs mean nothing and are simply there for marketing. I will refer you to the most knowledgeable reviewer i know out there. In terms of CPU, Battery life, GPU, screen quality, Build Quality and camera the iPhone 5 comes out on top. I highly advise you to read the whole review below as he uses benchmarks and compares the iPhone 5 with other phones. 90% of the time the I5 is at the top. Also beats the note 2 which boasts even "better specs"xD and 3 times the battery size yet has less battery life irl. The graphs make direct comparisons with other handsets including the S3. The S3 is actually way behind the I5 in performance. The Motorola phones are much better in performance especiialy battery life. You have to think that the S3 is 6+months old.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Specs mean nothing and are simply there for marketing. I will refer you to the most knowledgeable reviewer i know out there. In terms of CPU, Battery life, GPU, screen quality, Build Quality and camera the iPhone 5 comes out on top. I highly advise you to read the whole review below as he uses benchmarks and compares the iPhone 5 with other phones. 90% of the time the I5 is at the top. Also beats the note 2 which boasts even "better specs"xD and 3 times the battery size yet has less battery life irl. The graphs make direct comparisons with other handsets including the S3. The S3 is actually way behind the I5 in performance. The Motorola phones are much better in performance especiialy battery life. You have to think that the S3 is 6+months old.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review

This from the AnandTech who flip flops battery life results more often than a politician flip flops on taxes? Here is just one example of many, look at these two charts showing wildly different battery life wifi web browsing results for the iPhone 4S. On one chart, AnandTech says it goes for 11 hours and then in another, he says it only goes for 8.53 hours. I read all of AnandTech's reviews and one thing I've learned from him is never to trust him without verifying things myself.

41744.png

50476.png

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
This from the AnandTech who flip flops battery life results more often than a politician flip flops on taxes? Here is just one example of many, look at these two charts showing wildly different battery life wifi web browsing results for the iPhone 4S. On one chart, AnandTech says it goes for 11 hours and then in another, he says it only goes for 8.53 hours. I read all of AnandTech's reviews and one thing I've learned from him is never to trust him without verifying things myself.

Wow you really have no idea, they are different benchmarks! -__- The first one obviously tests different to the second one but its all relative.

They are even different models as well of the 4S.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Wow you really have no idea, they are different benchmarks! -__- The first one obviously tests different to the second one but its all relative.

They are even different models as well of the 4S.

You have no idea. Both graphs list the 4S and the second graph is from the iPhone 5 GSM phone comparison test. When his battery life results vary so wildly for every phone from test to test, you really have to wonder just what he is testing.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
The iPhone unless you want a big phone. Samsung took every feature the iPhone had and ghettoized it (S-Voice). Blantantly ripped it. It has NFC but who ever uses that?

Apple also "kinda" ripped Android's swipe to reveal notifications center...

Also you do realize that NFC is more than just mobile payments right?

Anyway, I had a friend get a GSIII over an iPhone 5. He says he likes iPhone 5 more because he had a iPod touch before so he's more used to how it works, but Android completely destroys iOS in terms of options. That's why he chose it.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
You have no idea. Both graphs list the 4S and the second graph is from the iPhone 5 GSM phone comparison test. When his battery life results vary so wildly for every phone from test to test, you really have to wonder just what he is testing.

Did you even read my comment. Different benchmarks test differently. Obviously the benchmark that had the 4S battery at higher could have turned off notifications and 3G and put brightness down to 0%. The one that produced lower results could have had everything on and brightness 100%. Its all relative. And its not HIS battery life tests he is just using data from benchmarks and inserting them into the review. If i asked you to record how many hours you battery life lasted on continuous music how would you do it? You might turn 3G off, i might not. I hope you understand what i am saying.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Really? Where are those stats to support your claim? In three years, ive hardly used the stock browser and now never do. Must be one of those "10 X" type of things eh?

Your pretty sure? Or are you hoping like everyone was before iOS 6 came out?

Again, Ive been using Android for over 3 years and havent had any malware issues at all. In fact, i fail to see any evidense that you claim it is so rampant, it will show up monthly :rolleyes:

Its not really a waste of time to Google something that you really have no knowledge about. It sure would make you look better than the blatant BS you are spewing now.

Looks like your just pulling statements out of your rear end and exaggerating 10X over.

Last edited:

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

I always loved the way the iPhone felt in my hands, but it always feels like it will last one drop before its cracked.

If Apple had put the iPhone on Sprint i may have been an iPhone user til the day I died but I am grateful they didnt. That helped me to explore my options and see that iOS is truly the most stalest OS in the market. It wreaks of Palm 5.1 and was torn apart by Gingerbread. Now with Jellybean youd have to be a die hard user to not see the need for a dire refresh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.