Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applemaps-150x150.jpg
The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Apple is in early discussions with popular location-based app Foursquare for a data-sharing deal. Apple SVP Eddy Cue is reportedly involved with the negotiations as he tries to improve a Maps app that has failed to live up to Apple's expectations.
Apple Inc. is in early discussions to integrate local data from Foursquare Labs Inc. into its mapping application, according to people familiar with the talks, as the company continues to build an arsenal of local data to try to take on Google Inc.
Foursquare's data includes local businesses like restaurants, bars and more and even allows users to leave tips about businesses for future visitors. The Wall Street Journal notes that Apple may be able to use that data in its Maps app as well.

This news comes days after Google announced its Maps app for iOS, which was downloaded more than 10 million times in the first 48 hours. These are just preliminary talks however, if the report is to be believed. There's no guarantee what kind of data Foursquare will share with Apple, if the deal is ever finalized.

Recently, Cue has been posting Foursquare check-ins on his Twitter account.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly in Talks for Data-Sharing Deal with Foursquare

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Australia

This is only good for a few countries, in UK foursquare is big. Foursquare is not big in Australia.
It's so easy to become the Mayor of anything in Australia with Foursquare.

At least Apple realise they need to put more effort into mapping and data collection than what they assumed was okay for launch.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
This is only good for a few countries, in UK foursquare is big. Foursquare is not big in Australia.
It's so easy to become the Mayor of anything in Australia with Foursquare.

At least Apple realise they need to put more effort into mapping and data collection than what they assumed was okay for launch.

The Mayor title is kind of dumb. Businesses should not let employees abuse it so frequent customers can get the title and also discounts, if they choose to give those.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
I'd rather see Apple Maps, with actually correct mapping data, with Google Maps, Yelp and Foursquare datapoint integration.

Because vector maps are leagues better than raster maps, despite awful satellite images.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I think Apple already dropped the ball with Apple Maps. Most people have either switched and aren't coming back, or don't need or use Maps enough to have an issue with the current version.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Yelp, Foursquare, Twitter, Facebook...why are these considered "features" of iOS? Integrated options are a good thing. But they aren't a substitute for strong software.

Apple seems to be very selective about what they want to develop "in-house" and what they want to "share".

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
I think Apple already dropped the ball with Apple Maps. Most people have either switched and aren't coming back, or don't need or use Maps enough to have an issue with the current version.

Ehhhhhhh I dunno... it's integrated into Siri as the default app and I must say, it's exuberantly nice to be in the car somewhere and literally just say, "Get me home!" and bam, instant directions back home.

For that reason, I will still be using Apple Maps in addition to Google (basically because I have no choice if I use Siri.... and I use her alot).

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Finally.

Using Foursquare means user-generated content. It is MUCH more accurate than Yelp and is always up to date because the users ensure it is.

I love Foursquare. So happy to see this.

EDIT: FWIW, Foursqare was added to the App Store Hall of Fame this year.

Last edited:

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
There is just one thing I don't understand.
Isn't Apple basically the same thing he was doing with Google ?
Paying royalties and services to TomTom and possibly soon to Foursquare. Just like with Google. And now that Google offered even turn by turn I simply don't understand why Apple is losing their time, besides the aparent hate for Google or some paranoia **** like Google stealing all of iOS user data

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
More time and energy wasted trying to reinvent the wheel.

Now that Google has released a Maps App that's worth a damn, the only thing Apple needs to do is allow iOS users to let that app be the DEFAULT app on their iOS devices.

Problem solved.

Mark

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
People still use Foursquare?

I used it for several months. The merchant discounts are nice, but they're so few and far between. Aside from that, I'm not sure what the draw is. Do I really care where my friends are at any given moment? Do they care where I am? It's a pretty superfluous app when you think about, so I don't see a whole lot of value in having it integrated into iOS.

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005

What I don't get is that Apple has a fairly strong relationship with Yelp for Siri if I'm not mistaken.

Is 4sq that different from Yelp? Does it have more geo data than Yelp?

Forgive me for the potentially stupid question (casual user only), but to me there's lots of overlaps between the two.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America

Are you joking? It's the largest location based social network in the world.

If Apple Maps needs up-to-date data (which it does), and accurate information (which it does), a social network that's curated by its own users is VASTLY superior than Yelp, Facebook, or even Google Places.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
There is just one thing I don't understand.
Isn't Apple basically the same thing he was doing with Google ?
Paying royalties and services to TomTom and possibly soon to Foursquare. Just like with Google. And now that Google offered even turn by turn I simply don't understand why Apple is losing their time, besides the aparent hate for Google or some paranoia **** like Google stealing all of iOS user data

Because Google has a highly competitive smartphone platform and is in a war with Apple, it's clearly not in Apple's interest to be further entrenched into Google's ecosystem. Of course Google can release whatever app they want and data mine the users or to suddenly hate all iOS users and pull their plug and make everything with iOS sad, but by then it's solely Google's fault and responsibility and has nothing to do with Apple.

----------

What I don't get is that Apple has a fairly strong relationship with Yelp for Siri if I'm not mistaken.

Forgive me for the potentially stupid question (casual user only), but to me there's lots of overlaps between the two.
Foursquare has the most accurate and abundant POIs amongst Apple Maps, Google Maps etc. even for newest restaurants and shops in my area. User input and support in various popular apps like Instagram and Whatsapp are probably the reasons.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America

Foursquare has significantly more location data than Yelp simply because the content is user-created. So locations are generally more accurate and up-to-date.

Additionally, the people who use Foursquare regularly are typically quite passionate about the accuracy of data. These "super users" ensure location information is correct as they check-in.

If you haven't already, take a look at the search feature on Foursquare. Very content driven:

http://foursquare.com/explore

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
More time and energy wasted trying to reinvent the wheel.
Now that Google has released a Maps App that's worth a damn, the only thing Apple needs to do is allow iOS users to let that app be the DEFAULT app on their iOS devices.

This.

Especially the 3D flyovers look nice at first but are gimmicky. Reminds me of flash-heavy websites some years ago, too much candy, no substance. Google Street views are much more useful in my opinion.

Apple's ego is probably be too big to 'ping' its maps :)

Also, Apple doesn't want to become too dependent on Google. Might keep Maps alive just because of that.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Apple Inc.*is in early discussions to integrate local data from Foursquare Labs Inc. into its mapping application, according to people familiar with the talks, as the company continues to build an arsenal of local data to try to take on*Google Inc.

Notice the words in bold. Why not get the fundamental satellite imagery and POIs right first before even thinking of attempting to compete with a company who had a 7 years head-start?

----------

Best of all, Forstall was able to talk about how breakthrough Facebook integration was for 2 min 30 secs.

Gonna miss him...

Not trying to be sarcastic, but I miss him already. Can you guys imagine Jony Ive on stage to walk us through iOS 7? I've never seen him on stage during keynotes before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.