Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
I really don't understand how so many people, including many in the media, can miss this simple point. There aren't any lines because there aren't any walk-in purchases. Online reservations only and it's almost impossible to get one that way. How is all this hard to understand?

They have no interest in understanding, they only care about publishing ridiculous headlines in order to generate clicks.

Bastards.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Last year's 4s unveiling in China was pandemonium, there was a mini riot!

The just unveiled i5, they say only 2 customers were in line... truly sad for Apple.

Coincidence? Some other variables?

Maybe the Chinese is been monitoring this site and been scared away! :D

This is a headline in the business news on the NBC web site today 12/17/2012.

"Apple sells 2 million iPhone 5s in China in first 3 days"

To me that sounds like iPhone 5 sales are on track and probably equal or better than 4s sales were on release. We should try to avoid inaccurate info from inaccurate sources.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I wouldn't put too much value on what the Chinese are saying.

After all they are only manufacturing the iPhones, so they would't have any real knowledge of what's selling and what's not selling.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Regardless of what you think of which phone is better, if the iPhone 5 isn't blowing away the 4S, people who actually make money care. Apple's stock price as we speak is at $503 and looking to go under $500. Not great for business. Yes yes the company is solid and isn't about tank, but that's the point of those articles and those sets of data. It has less to do on which product is better and more to do with market capitalization value. I could care less, just pointing it out so you know why those articles are written and posted.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Regardless of what you think of which phone is better, if the iPhone 5 isn't blowing away the 4S, people who actually make money care. Apple's stock price as we speak is at $503 and looking to go under $500. Not great for business. Yes yes the company is solid and isn't about tank, but that's the point of those articles and those sets of data. It has less to do on which product is better and more to do with market capitalization value. I could care less, just pointing it out so you know why those articles are written and posted.

'Those articles?' I've seen a couple of supposed articles claiming this recently, but when said articles were looked at they actually said nothing of the sort.

Do you have any links from credible sources that indicate the 4s is outselling the 5?

IF the 4s is selling strongly at all, it has got to be influenced greatly by the fact that more than 2 months after release, supplies are still constrained on the iPhone 5.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I agree. Most people really take LTE as a big deal. Unless you're on CDMA carriers, GSM networks' HSPA+ download speeds, more often than not, are already more than sufficient for normal day-to-day usage.

Some of them just want the half-inch bigger screen as well.

Totally disagree. I went from 4s to 5 on AT&T, and the difference between hspa+ and lte is night and day.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
D) Retailers want a ride on one of the most popular electronics device ever made, and are willing to take a loss to drive people into stores.

Around here the ads are up, but you can't actually buy a phone by walking into the store.

That doesn't explain why the neither the iPhone 4 or 4S got steep discounts 1-2 month after its release. Not that its bad for the consumor ($126 for a 16GB iPhone 5).

Its more because of Android eating up Apple's market share and Apple knows it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-cutting-iphone-5-orders-iphone5s-2012-12

http://iphone5newsblog.com/2012/12/17/citi-cuts-apple-forecast-based-on-flagging-iphone-5-sales/

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
That doesn't explain why the neither the iPhone 4 or 4S got steep discounts 1-2 month after its release. Not that its bad for the consumor ($126 for a 16GB iPhone 5).

Its more because of Android eating up Apple's market share and Apple knows it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-cutting-iphone-5-orders-iphone5s-2012-12

http://iphone5newsblog.com/2012/12/17/citi-cuts-apple-forecast-based-on-flagging-iphone-5-sales/

So you're saying that Apple has the ability to restrict the price of the iPhone 5 selling in Walmart and all that, but they don't, because they are becoming wary of the competition?

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
So you're saying that Apple has the ability to restrict the price of the iPhone 5 selling in Walmart and all that, but they don't, because they are becoming wary of the competition?

I'm saying its unusual for an iPhone to go on sale this quickly. Didn't happen with the 3GS, 4, 4S.

It could be because of Android increasing gains which would cause Apple to release the next iPhone sooner.

It could be retailers being nice to everyone for the holidays, but that just doesn't seem like it.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I'm saying its unusual for an iPhone to go on sale this quickly. Didn't happen with the 3GS, 4, 4S.

It could be because of Android increasing gains which would cause Apple to release the next iPhone sooner.

It could be retailers being nice to everyone for the holidays, but that just doesn't seem like it.

Oh ok. Have to agree though, recently Android is gaining quite a lot of ground, so it will actually surprise me if Apple remains as cocky as ever.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012

You do understand that apple still charges the normal price to walmart... ie. they make the exact same amount of money from each one bought. Walmart are the ones breaking even on it now. The bottom line is actually better for apple because more people are buying it at the same profit margin. Walmart is doing it to entice customers into their store and purchase other things as well.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
You do understand that apple still charges the normal price to walmart... ie. they make the exact same amount of money from each one bought. Walmart are the ones breaking even on it now. The bottom line is actually better for apple because more people are buying it at the same profit margin. Walmart is doing it to entice customers into their store and purchase other things as well.

I'm just saying, iPhone's usually haven't had this type of discount this early before.

Most of the time its Android phones but this year, the iPhone as well.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
5 is not a big upgrade over 4S. It's really ho hum. Huge technology and engineering in the device, but from an end user perspective, it's really mediocre.

4S's 4G network speed already surpasses most broadband.
4S's dual core CPU is a monster that nothing taxes.
It fits in your hand better and easier to use than the tall phone design.
Has lots of accessories compatible with it.

Good thing opinions don't have to be based on facts.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Totally disagree. I went from 4s to 5 on AT&T, and the difference between hspa+ and lte is night and day.

Same here.

And you're right, in NYC, the AT&T LTE on the iP5 absolutely crushes what my old 4S could do, and regularly beats my home wifi speeds!

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
I'm just saying, iPhone's usually haven't had this type of discount this early before.

Most of the time its Android phones but this year, the iPhone as well.

Maybe walmart knows how big the iPhone 5 is and them putting it on sale will see levels off interest in their stores that they have never experienced before. Its all to do with Walmart. Apple is probably happy though.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
LMFAO. "4s seen outselling the iPhone 5" actually stems from this quote:
“Some of our Chinese sources do not expect the iPhone 5 to do as well as the iPhone 4S,”

It's a ****ing guess. From SOME Chinese people. What a joke.

Expected from BGR!

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Maybe walmart knows how big the iPhone 5 is and them putting it on sale will see levels off interest in their stores that they have never experienced before. Its all to do with Walmart. Apple is probably happy though.

idk. In my local Wal-marts they have like a small Apple section. 1-2 iPhone 5 on display. Sounds more like an Apple Store would benefit from this. People are shopping for gifts (toys, games, etc.)

Consumers are probably more happy. Still I think this has to do with possible Android being a killer. Plus earlier release of iPhone 5S makes sense.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
idk. In my local Wal-marts they have like a small Apple section. 1-2 iPhone 5 on display. Sounds more like an Apple Store would benefit from this. People are shopping for gifts (toys, games, etc.)

Consumers are probably more happy. Still I think this has to do with possible Android being a killer. Plus earlier release of iPhone 5S makes sense.

I dont know anybody who is holding on from buying iphon 5 coz of 5S

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012

iPhone 5S isn't coming out till june at least imo and will have nothing new except for some spec upgrades. As the slogan says "the biggest thing to happen to iphone since iphone" agree 100%. 5S will have same amount of boring changes the 4S did. Nothing visibly different. Thats my guess anyway.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

The 4 was released mid-summer so the buzz had largely subsided by the holiday season. The 'S' releases, while they sell very well, don't tend to have the same draw as the new design releases.

In any case, it doesn't matter what has happened in the past - retailers try new techniques every year. The fact that this years timing worked out perfectly such that even in December there were still limited supplies available made it good timing for the retailers to pull a stunt like this - they get the benefits of lots of positive press from offering big discounts, drive lots of people to their websites and stores, but nobody is all that surprised when they can't actually buy them at that price. It's marketing, pure and simple.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I dont know anybody who is holding on from buying iphon 5 coz of 5S

You do now. I skipped the 5 and am waiting for the next model. I have a 64 GB 4S and don't see the need to spend $426 ($326 phone + AppleCare) to upgrade. My phone works great and I'd rather wait for the next model.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
You do now. I skipped the 5 and am waiting for the next model. I have a 64 GB 4S and don't see the need to spend $426 ($326 phone + AppleCare) to upgrade. My phone works great and I'd rather wait for the next model.

Of course that 4S is worth a solid $350 on the used market, so the choice is yours.

That said, I think the majority of people generally stick to every other release for an upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.