Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saxdudedan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Hi. I am currently trying to fix a severely water damaged iPod touch for my sister. She somehow got it in the washing machine for a full cycle. I am very aware that chances very slim that it will work again. It is currently sitting in a bowl of rice. It has not been powered on since the accident. If I take it apart to air dry, are there any things that I should look for? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I wouldn't take it apart. The damage will be from water so it will be, for the most part, invisible.

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
They're a pain to take apart, so I think your best bet is the out-of-warranty replacement. If you haven't done it before, taking it apart will probably just get it all scratched up.

If you do take it apart, you're not looking for much right now, just drying everything out. What will happen eventually is that the water on the metal parts will start to cause rust/corrosion and all the tiny metal parts will fail. The water will also leave a residue after it evaporates that you will want to clean off with alcohol to prevent corrosion.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Hi. I am currently trying to fix a severely water damaged iPod touch for my sister. She somehow got it in the washing machine for a full cycle. I am very aware that chances very slim that it will work again. It is currently sitting in a bowl of rice. It has not been powered on since the accident. If I take it apart to air dry, are there any things that I should look for? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.

these people fixed mine!

http://www.ifixyouri.com/118-ipod-touch-repair

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
The best thing would to just replace it sadly as you cannot really take it apart without breaking it. While it is possible it is quite hard.

joanhunter

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
You can't tear it apart properly if you don't have the screws to use since these gadgets use a specific kind of screws, if I were you I would just take it to the apple center as soon as possible before the damage gets worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.