Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
More time and energy wasted trying to reinvent the wheel.

Now that Google has released a Maps App that's worth a damn, the only thing Apple needs to do is allow iOS users to let that app be the DEFAULT app on their iOS devices.

Problem solved.

Mark

If it's fully integrated with Siri, I'm all for it.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Not trying to be sarcastic, but I miss him already. Can you guys imagine Jony Ive on stage to walk us through iOS 7? I've never seen him on stage during keynotes before.

It could be Craig though...

Craig did OS X demos multiple times and now he's in charge of OS X and iOS.

Ive is more of a behind-the-scenes guy.

Or it could be Phil. He basically can do anything

-iWork for iPad
-iPhones, iPods, iPads
-Mac hardware

Or it could be Eddy Cue. He might demo Maps, Siri, iCould stuff.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
It could be Craig though...

Craig did OS X demos multiple times and now he's in charge of OS X and iOS.

Ive is more of a behind-the-scenes guy.

Or it could be Phil. He basically can do anything

-iWork for iPad
-iPhones, iPods, iPads
-Mac hardware

Or it could be Eddy Cue. He might demo Maps, Siri, iCould stuff.

Yeah I like Craig and Eddy for keynotes, both of them do presentations really well.:)

d4rkc4sm

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
we already have accurate locations to starbucks or any place those hippies are hanging out. this is dumb.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
This is only good for a few countries, in UK foursquare is big. Foursquare is not big in Australia.
It's so easy to become the Mayor of anything in Australia with Foursquare.

At least Apple realise they need to put more effort into mapping and data collection than what they assumed was okay for launch.

Australians can't even read road signs or elect a government that produces an accurate guide, and then in turn blames the result of their faulty information on Apple. Being the mayor of their local coffee shop shouldn't be a priority for them IMHO.

kmpoboy2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Alabama
Man, sometimes it's hard to understand the users here.

Since September you can't enter the forum without spotting a topic on how awful maps is and how apple isn't fixing it quick enough.

Now, a rumor comes out that apple it's trying something to try and fix it and people complaint because there trying to fix it.

If you guys have ever used foursquare before, you know how accurate the data is and it's well maintained by they're users.

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
Australians can't even read road signs or elect a government that produces an accurate guide, and then in turn blames the result of their faulty information on Apple. Being the mayor of their local coffee shop shouldn't be a priority for them IMHO.

you may want to find the person that keeps ******** in your wheaties

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I think Apple already dropped the ball with Apple Maps. Most people have either switched and aren't coming back, or don't need or use Maps enough to have an issue with the current version.

I don't don't think you understand how deep the roots go for Apple's Maps.

Finally.

Using Foursquare means user-generated content. It is MUCH more accurate than Yelp and is always up to date because the users ensure it is.

I love Foursquare. So happy to see this.

EDIT: FWIW, Foursqare was added to the App Store Hall of Fame this year.

I've used Gowalla and other services but Foursquare has been the best and most accurate. I wouldn't mind Apple just flat out buying Foursquare. I want to buy coffee with my Apple ID! I jest ...I think?

Now that Google has released a Maps App that's worth a damn, the only thing Apple needs to do is allow iOS users to let that app be the DEFAULT app on their iOS devices.

Problem solved.

Mark

Not going to happen.

Man, sometimes it's hard to understand the users here.

Since September you can't enter the forum without spotting a topic on how awful maps is and how apple isn't fixing it quick enough.

Now, a rumor comes out that apple it's trying something to try and fix it and people complaint because there trying to fix it.

If you guys have ever used foursquare before, you know how accurate the data is and it's well maintained by they're users.

Don't get confused. Not everyone here wants to see Apple succeed and some will go at length to downplay any positive news concerning Apple.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
For me the last two updates of IOS (5 & 6) have been disappointing in new features.... Beta SIRI & BETA Maps. They jumped the shark when they touted Facebook integrations as a major feature :)

Let's hope that this will get better with the next version....

The whole point of the "jumped the shark" reference is that it's only downhill from that point.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
. Can you guys imagine Jony Ive on stage to walk us through iOS 7? I've never seen him on stage during keynotes before.

You likely never will. Some folks aren't comfortable doing such things and
Sir J may be one of them. Which could be why someone else always showed the hardware.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I think Apple already dropped the ball with Apple Maps. Most people have either switched and aren't coming back, or don't need or use Maps enough to have an issue with the current version.

I disagree. I haven't had any problems with Apple Maps, and I suspect that the majority of people agree that they haven't had any problems with it. Just because 10% of people have had problems and have made noise and have been heard doesn't mean "most" people have found it so flawed that they'll never use it again.

I have downloaded Google Maps to my iPhone, but I've used Apple maps twice since and I haven't used Google Maps yet. The next time I visit Boston (in a few weeks,) I'll probably have to break out Google Maps for some transit directions, but other than that, I'll mostly be sticking with Apple Maps.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I'm well aware of that.... They are starting to look like Microsoft.

There have been big changes from iOS 4 - 6. iCloud alone would qualify as a significant update. Siri may be Beta but in all honesty it works quite well.

I don't think the average user knows what a big feature is. When prompted for what should be added most remain mute.

Most people are pretty simple. They want to surf the web, make phone calls, gather and manage email, game and take photos. At this point ,there is little revolutionary stuff that is coming until the dust settles and everyone is so bored that they are in a slumber.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

Hmmmm.... You should read things again, and understand it the 2nd time.

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009

Problem solved.

Mark

Apple should just integrate TomTom and call it a day.... i wouldnt feel good about allowing Google to just have the crown and bragging rights that apple gave up.. what happens if Google pulls the app off of the app store??

apple needs a functional app and tomtom would do it... which is already integrated with Facebook and Foursquare (social media features that i dont even use)

kmpoboy2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Alabama
Don't get confused. Not everyone here wants to see Apple succeed and some will go at length to downplay any positive news concerning Apple.

Oh believe me, I know!

But it gets frustrating to read post after post of people complaining(granted, it's well deserved with maps) and then bi*** too when they try to fix it.

Mostly, it's the same way I feel with all the iOS wish list threads. Why ask for some feature if your going to complaint whether its implemented or not. Much like notifications center.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
"Why is Apple creating a browser. They should just leave it up to Microsoft. They need Internet Explorer"

routinely read circa 2003.

"Apple can't beat Nokia..why are they even trying" circa 2007

In reality Apple is a LOT closer to delivering parity with Google Maps then they were in closing the gap with Microsoft's Internet Explorer with Safari 1 or Nokia with the first iPhone.

The company has a history of rapidly advancing a product. Apple Maps will be no different. By the third major revision those using Google Maps will be jaded luddites fearful of the new future.

bkushner

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2011

Please don't confuse your opinion with actual facts.

terryzx

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
Cincinnati
Cooperation?

Why can't Apple & Google just COOPERATE and do a really good map that BOTH of them can work together on and make it the best one ever??? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.