Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I think Apple already dropped the ball with Apple Maps. Most people have either switched and aren't coming back, or don't need or use Maps enough to have an issue with the current version.

Where do you get your data? 20M have downloaded the app, but there are over 100M iOS 6 users. I have both and use whichever suits the situation (Which essentially means if I have an address I use Apple maps.)

Google Maps is great for searching, but still won't have Siri integration (And doesn't even have their own voice search...) and doesn't have address book integration. It will probably get those in time, but by then Apple will have had more time to improve their data with integration from other services like Foursquare.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Early signs of Apple's life apart from Steve.

The Forstall firing pretty much handled any doubts. :apple:

----------

Why can't Apple & Google just COOPERATE and do a really good map that BOTH of them can work together on and make it the best one ever??? :D

Likely because Apple and Google have divergent ways of deriving revenue/profit. Google is advertising based and Apple tends to eschew advertising and uses software "smarts" and design to get you to pay more than you really want to for a computer.

For Apple to do what it needs to for Maps it needs to have something that is different than any other company is doing. The current Maps that you see from Apple is just the beginning. It's the maiden voyage and note that Tim Cook had no problems offering other solutions. Apple knows that the payout won't be until generation 2 or 3 when they begin to add some of those unique features that draw users to the platform. They know they cannot have Google help because any great feature would undoubtedly be leveraged on Android as well.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think what people might be missing is the "Sharing" part of this discussion. Not just Apple using Foursquare's data, but Foursquare also using Apple's data. I think that can effectively decentralize the data and make it more accurate all around. Satellite services like WhatsApp and Instagram, that may only consume Foursquare's location data, would benefit as a result. This would be a huge improvement to location data accuracy for everybody.

Let's hope I'm right about this.

----------

Google Maps is great for searching, but still won't have Siri integration (And doesn't even have their own voice search...) and doesn't have address book integration. It will probably get those in time, but by then Apple will have had more time to improve their data with integration from other services like Foursquare.

Google has a voice search app. I haven't tried, but if a location result comes up, can't that be opened directly in Google Maps now? Maybe not...

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Why can't Apple & Google just COOPERATE and do a really good map that BOTH of them can work together on and make it the best one ever??? :D
It involves money. People in Apple and Google don't do work for charity. If they can't agree on the terms, they can't do it.

----------

Where do you get your data? 20M have downloaded the app, but there are over 100M iOS 6 users. I have both and use whichever suits the situation (Which essentially means if I have an address I use Apple maps.)

It will have eventually. Even the iPad version is coming according to Google. Google's voice recognition is actually quite good and it transcribes your words on the fly instead of waiting for Siri to digest your whole sentence. You can try it via the Google Search app on the App Store.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Nooooo...... Not foursqaue... Is this how it is now...

Apple needs help...

As i said.... wel... (actually i didn't), but i'll say it now :-

"Maps was doomed from day 1 when it hit IOS6"

Nothing will change my mind about this, since there are much more mature map apps out there.. Yes, Apple stated late, they'll catch up, but do you think they'll always be behind ?

I think so. ,, the "gap" will close, but not enough to prove anything to me.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Man, sometimes it's hard to understand the users here.

Since September you can't enter the forum without spotting a topic on how awful maps is and how apple isn't fixing it quick enough.

Now, a rumor comes out that apple it's trying something to try and fix it and people complaint because there trying to fix it.

If you guys have ever used foursquare before, you know how accurate the data is and it's well maintained by they're users.

I also don't think they have any idea about how well Apple Maps actually works. I have used it mostly since the upgrade, even removing my Magellan GPS app because it allowed me to free up 1.6GB for something that was acceptable. I got to a new restaurant today with no trouble. I have done the same thing a couple of times per week when going to different locations.

Yes, there were some awful errors. Is that surprising on something as massive as mapping the world? Google had a few years' head start on people sending in corrections. Apple didn't have that luxury, and so there were more errors. The company is obviously working to fix it.

As another poster mentioned, iOS now how the best collection of maps apps. Even the Google Maps fans have to like how much better the new app is. I used it once just to try it out. Worked about as well as Apple Maps, but as has always been the case with Google the estimated time was WAY OFF. Not a huge deal, but Google isn't perfect.

As for people who wish/think/hope Apple will just give up on Maps, you obviously don't understand the biz. Apple is working to get everything Google out of iOS as a default. I think that has been done now aside from Google as the default search engine. Apple has millions in the bank it can spend to get Maps fixed. I wouldn't be shocked for it to start rolling around those cars with cameras to get something like Street View.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
This is excellent news. Nothing but good can come from this.

So now Apple has resorted to now selling user data to 3rd parties like a advertising company.

You mean like Google? :D

But really, as apposed to what? Sending out a group of people to mark and update every location? You know that's inefficient and pointless when there is already a huge resource out there of people doing it themselves because they want to. This is why you'll never run a business (or at least a successful one).

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I know Google is an advertising company and that's why I made my comment. Many Apple fans try to argue Apple is better than Google cause Apple doesn't sell/share user info with 3rd parties.

That's not really what i'm hearing from them. It's more likely Apple's revenues are not tied to how much data they can mind from people like Google's is.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
Very good, but I'm sure we'll hear plenty of paranoid yapping from this from, you know, the people who avoid even Google searches because their results are tracked. Anyway, I can't wait for some really advanced data to go into mapping.

----------

This is excellent news. Nothing but good can come from this.

No, man! This is just another evil plot by the Shadow Government so that they can control us like puppets and poison our water! I know it's true because Alex Jones said it!

alex_jones.jpg

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Are you joking? It's the largest location based social network in the world.

If Apple Maps needs up-to-date data (which it does), and accurate information (which it does), a social network that's curated by its own users is VASTLY superior than Yelp, Facebook, or even Google Places.

Sorry. But you're wrong. Foursquare is seeing a strong user decline lately. So when someone says, "People still use Fourquare?" They are hitting the nail on the head.

Even though it may have the better data, it won't stay that way for long. (Also, Yelp has significantly more users than Fourquare, by an enormous margin).

http://www.businessinsider.com/foursquare-may-not-be-toast-yet-but-its-browning-at-the-edges-2012-4

Apple would be silly to partner with this company when it's already partnered with Tom Tom and Yelp.

darbus69

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Apple's Maps will mature and be and feel the Maps application to use...Google news has been my home page for more than 10 years - unfortunately google has become the web's 800lb gorilla and like I did with Walmart (I've not been in a Walmart for five years) I determined to limit my googled life to a minimum-WHY O WHY do they feel they must "rule the world" goodbye Google...

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Apple needs to go beyond some data-sharing deal with Foursquare.

They need to BUY Foursquare. Apple is the only big player who does not own their own Points of Interest data. This is a HUGE problem, as we've seen with iOS 6 Maps. Apple cannot compete with Google by simply doing licensing deals with 3rd parties. They need to invest heavily in data, so that they own the data. Owning the data means 1) no restrictions on how its gathered and used, 2) the data is exclusive to Apple, 3) it is easier to integrate with other Apple services.

Does Tim really get this? I mean what is Apple planning to do with that $120B+ in the bank? Make a 50 foot tall solid gold statue of Steve Jobs? Put an Apple store on Mars? Foursquare could be bought for less than Instagram (which was an overpriced $1B), most likely. A drop in the bucket for Apple. They need to ramp up R&D on geo-data quickly and spend considerable effort on it. Google has done this for years and continues to do this. Apple will slip further and further behind if they don't get their act together. They don't have the luxury of piggybacking on Google's services anymore.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Are you joking? It's the largest location based social network in the world.

If Apple Maps needs up-to-date data (which it does), and accurate information (which it does), a social network that's curated by its own users is VASTLY superior than Yelp, Facebook, or even Google Places.

Anyone else wondering if Foursquare might end up being sold to Apple or Google now (Apple needs it, and Google probably doesn't want Apple to have it)?

Just curious!

pixpixpix

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
left coast
Superuser Community

The strength of the Foursquare data lies in the active and dedicated Superuser community which works diligently to update and correct 4SQ entries. Superusers at level 1, 2 and 3 have increasingly comprehensive privileges to correct venue details and locations, merge duplicates, delete spurious venues and otherwise improve data quality.

Apple would be well served by incorporating 4SQ data into its maps

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Now that Google has released a Maps App that's worth a damn, the only thing Apple needs to do is allow iOS users to let that app be the DEFAULT app on their iOS devices.

Problem solved.

Mark

Now that Microsoft has released an Office Suite...

Now that Mozilla has released a Browser App...

Now that RIM has released a mobile BB-to-BB Instant Messaging app...

kupua

macrumors member
May 19, 2005
Apple Reportedly in Talks for Data-Sharing Deal with Foursquare

This is a really dumb-ass backwards way to go about fixing a mapping business. Foursquare for a map software problem? Hope this is just a smoke screen like how United Airlines said it wanted to buy US Airlines, when all the while the real target was Continental... Buying WAZE Solves this dumb ass mapping issue! This would be my way of buying my way out of a problem, sure not Foursquare.

But on another note, I hate the thought of anyone buying WAZE and screwing up that awesome project. uggh :eek:

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Did anyone click the link to the tweet's by Eddy Cue? The one pic of Madison Square Garden (Los Angeles Lakers vs New York Knicks) sucks so much, was that taken with a web cam?

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
For me the last two updates of IOS (5 & 6) have been disappointing in new features.... Beta SIRI & BETA Maps. They jumped the shark when they touted Facebook integrations as a major feature :)

Let's hope that this will get better with the next version....

To be fair, iMessage was a pretty massive feature in iOS 5.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
This is a really dumb-ass backwards way to go about fixing a mapping business. Foursquare for a map software problem? Hope this is just a smoke screen like how United Airlines said it wanted to buy US Airlines, when all the while the real target was Continental... Buying WAZE Solves this dumb ass mapping issue! This would be my way of buying my way out of a problem, sure not Foursquare.

But on another note, I hate the thought of anyone buying WAZE and screwing up that awesome project. uggh :eek:

That's just it. Apple Maps are FINE. It's the "points of interest" data and some distorted pictures that have created most of the hyperbole. The problem arises when people complain about Apple Maps as if the problem exists for everyone. Since Maps are very regional some people get good Maps, Directions and PoI and other's do not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.