Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which orientation do you use the most?

• Portrait

Votes: 59 44.7%
  • Landscape

Votes: 73 55.3%

• Total voters

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I almost always use my ipad 3 and mini in landscape mode. Just wanting to get an idea of how most people use theirs.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Portrait for me. More natural for books and web browsing. Landscape for movies, of course.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Really depends on what I'm using it for. I tend to use it in landscape the most though since it gives more room for webpages and video content. Funny, now that I think about it, it's almost the exact opposite with my iPhone, I never use it in landscape unless I'm playing a game that requires it.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
Books and magazines I like portrait mode.

For everything else I like landscape mode. I feel typing on portrait is harder and makes it feel like a huge iPhone.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Whatever seems more natural. Most of the time portrait.

Landscape: Watching videos, games, photos
Portrait: Reading websites, magazines, PDFs

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
It evolved, first all portrait and now all landscape. The ipad isn't A4 size so everything is about 85% in portrait. I have tried the mini a couple times and I like it a great deal. It is a pretty good pdf reader in landscape

Mdwall

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Landscape. The screen is larger and it fits on my lap more comfortably. Additionally, I don't get the weird wavy screen effect when scrolling up and down in landscape either.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
when i hold it, i use portrait and in landscape on my bed/table mode once it got heavy.

U gotta love the screen ratio because even in Landscape mode, the screen is still tall enough to confortably surf the web.

mikeray

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
U gotta love the screen ratio because even in Landscape mode, the screen is still tall enough to confortably surf the web.

I am a web developer, and they really nailed it with the 1024x768 resolution, for that is the traditional "bottom line" to keep in mind when designing a web site. So I usually use landscape when surfing the net and portrait when reading a book.

Actually, when reading a book I like to switch between landscape and portrait if I find that my attention is growing short.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Landscape. Text is too small in portrait mode. As a matter of fact, my screen is locked on landscape mode 100% of the time.

555 i would say that my text is not too small in Portrait but it could be annoyingly small if you are using Ipad mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.