Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
Since every iPad I've owned, I have never had any luck getting the video to buffer fast enough to achieve smooth playback. It isn't my router or my connection speed, because I am using a Time Capsule and my Mac's have no problem buffering a 1080p video 30 secs ahead of my position in the video.

With the YouTube app for iPad, there is not even a quality option so I assume I am sub 720p, and it can't keep up past what I am actually watching.

Any ideas?

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Since every iPad I've owned, I have never had any luck getting the video to buffer fast enough to achieve smooth playback. It isn't my router or my connection speed, because I am using a Time Capsule and my Mac's have no problem buffering a 1080p video 30 secs ahead of my position in the video.

With the YouTube app for iPad, there is not even a quality option so I assume I am sub 720p, and it can't keep up past what I am actually watching.

Any ideas?
Use youtube in the browser. Its been the better option for years now.

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Not to mention half the links to videos on youtube give a "this video can not be displayed" error, so when people want you to look at such and such linked video you can only respond, oh, I have an iPad so I cannot view media on the Internet a lot of the time, sorry. Resulting in feeling like a jackass for owning one in the first place.

Use youtube in the browser. Its been the better option for years now.
Which doesn't even begin to address why YouTube on iPad is so crappy.

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
Google purchased youtube. You know Google doesn't like Apple. They want you to buy their Nexus devices.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Try the app mctube
I don't have any buffer issues using that
Select 1080p in the settings

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
If you don't like the new youtube try jasmine. I'm a jasmine user when no YouTube app on ipad. But I uninstalled jasmine because the airplay is not clear even set to 1080p. The new youtube is nice my there is no history tab on it.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Youtube app is crap. U get the worst quality video.

Try Mctube or Mctube pro, vid quality can be selected up to 1080P.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
YouTube is slow on my iPad mini also, but what really gets me is how slow airplay is to the Apple TV.

I have all apple products so my router is a time capsule and whether its a (non HD) YouTube video or a short 10 second video clip of my kids then shooting it from the iPad Mini or iPhone 5 to the AppleTV always results in a ridiculous amount of buffering. I thought these new antennas were supposed to fix that.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Google purchased youtube. You know Google doesn't like Apple. They want you to buy their Nexus devices.

You seem to be forgetting which company has the chip on their shoulder and is crippling the user experience out of spite. Apple hates google, but google loves everyone.

Just like Amazon, Google benefits from having their product on every device possible regardless of who makes it.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Sorry the youtube site works fantastically on my mini iPad. No need to waste time with an app thats not as good as the website.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009

Yeah, uh.... I mean... despite the fact that GMaps on iOS looks better than other version of gmaps... but yeah.... you're right... I think.

In all seriousness... I was using the new YouTube as a benchmark and still wasn't getting good results. The only thing the updated YouTube apps have added for me is "Non-BS" results. I can actually find what I'm looking for now, but I can't watch it. It's a sick, paradoxical experience that only the most narcissistic douche could of designed. I mean this is Apple, the biggest hardware company out there... coupled with YouTube, the largest publicly viewed website next to Google itself. What excuse do they have to not function together properly? Which planets have to perfectly align against the sun for this mad prophecy of a harmonious link between Apple and YouTube to occur?

Okay... I took that a bit far.... But it really is nonsense.

I'll give McTube a try even though the name is completely hideous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.