Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
AT&T LTE sucks in LA. I've seen it at full reception maybe once or twice in months. It seems like it's 1 or 2 bars everywhere or it just defaults back to HSPA fake 4G.

I haven't tried Verizon but I figure it can't be anywhere as bad. However, if you have at least 2 bars it is way quicker than their fake 4G. Going through the speedtest app I get between 8 and 20 mbps with a latency in the 80s.

Outsiderdude26

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2005
New England
Talked to a CSR a few days ago... their time frame for LTE in the SF Valley is ~5 months, 7 for Calabasas. I live in studio city and can walk down to the Hollywood hills a 1/4 mile and get At&t LTE... with that said, I'm switching to Verizon. At&t only has 10 Mhz (top speed would be 25-30 MBPs on a good day) while verizon has 20 Mhz in the greater LA area.

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Here in Monterey Park, CA 91754 I have to use a microcell in order to use voice with AT&T. I get 1 bar of LTE on my iPad when used upstairs. I have gotten speeds between 5 - 10 mbps. I have seen 2 - 3 bars at most throughout the San Gabriel Valley.

Verizon has no LTE signal at my home even though there coverage maps shows me fully covered.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
I get decent full coverage lte in South Los Angeles on campus at usc. I say decent because here in South Pasadena its blaaaaazing fast. Like blows away my cable fast.

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
I get decent full coverage lte in South Los Angeles on campus at usc. I say decent because here in South Pasadena its blaaaaazing fast. Like blows away my cable fast.

I will have to test it at my parent's house in San Marino, CA. Time Warner Cable is slow in South Pas / San Marino.

DimeTech

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2003
My service has been reallllly crappy and irregular today. I live in woodland hills, deep in the valley. Straight up no service for like an hour at a time. iPhone 5 4g normally. I come home from work check my phone and its got an LTE indicator. no way :). LTE has finally hit the valley!!!!

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
I know that Verizon is superior in the Valley. LTE is everywhere too. But im not paying $100 a month for an individual plan with only 2GB of data.
-___-

Exactly. That's what i did and regret it, LTE is overrated when you have insane speeds but have to worry that you will hit 10gb's in a 1 month and get verizon alerts that you're halfway through your monthly plan allowance in 5 days. I can confirm Iphone 5 verizon in the valley is totally LTE covered, do i use it much? No

Last edited:

Tallguy93

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
I hear everyone bashing Sprint and I completely understand that. But if your in one of their very few cities (hopefully not for long) that have LTE then there service is just great. I just switched from T-Mobile and around Houston I consistently get speeds of 21-30mbps and 6-12mbps upload. Occasionally I will fall back to 3G but they are working on it and for the price I am very happy. Still have a week left in my billing cycle and have used over 10gb's. Their LTE is wayy faster than comcast at my home.

EDIT: I know this thread is about a location far far away from houston, but im just showing that Sprint is really good if you are in one of their soon to be launched or launched LTE cities.

Attachments

• photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    435.5 KB · Views: 53
  • photo 2.PNG
    photo 2.PNG
    91 KB · Views: 59

jstar002

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2012
I'm in Weho. I just signed up for ATT for a 2 year contract but I will cancel if the LTE sucks. The reason why I signed up is cause I went to the ATT store on La Brea and Santa Monica Blvd and LTE was super fast there... I hope they don't have "secret tricks" to make it faster at the store but it was fast. Do they do something at the store to make it go faster there for customres?

Another reason was cause the actual Verizon store in Weho has horrible results in Yelp. I order my phones online and never go in the store so it shouldn't be a problem. However, one person stated they could only return the Verizon store they bought in person (exchange or return or something cause of a particular problem) and they said the employees/manager were really mean...

So that's why I chose ATT.

----------

Exactly. That's what i did and regret it, LTE is overrated when you have insane speeds but have to worry that you will hit 10gb's in a 1 month and get verizon alerts that you're halfway through your monthly plan allowance in 5 days. I can confirm Iphone 5 verizon in the valley is totally LTE covered, do i use it much? No

What individual data plan did you have ATT and how much do you pay? I have the mobile share plan for $85 w/unlimited talk/texts and 1 gig of data...

millerhifi

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
Los Angeles Ca
My service has been reallllly crappy and irregular today. I live in woodland hills, deep in the valley. Straight up no service for like an hour at a time. iPhone 5 4g normally. I come home from work check my phone and its got an LTE indicator. no way :). LTE has finally hit the valley!!!!

Yup, I noticed that today. The AT&T LTE switch has been flipped on for most areas of the San Fernando Valley. Finally! :)

Ding.Dong

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Los Angeles
im getting great LTE speeds in South Pasadena. in Glendale, its weak. :(

Yeah, no kidding. I work in Glendale and I just noticed the LTE connection starting the other day, but the speeds are just dismal. I've been turning off LTE, so I can at least get a decent connection via 4G. Here's two speed tests, one LTE and one 4G:

Attachments

• photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    454.5 KB · Views: 70
  • photo 2.PNG
    photo 2.PNG
    459.9 KB · Views: 64
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.