Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

letterworks

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
It's not all about the form factor....

For me the reduced reflection on the screen and the Kepler GPU was enough to leave my aging MacPro behind and switch to an iMacs for graphics and video work.

Can't wait till Wednesday! Just shipped this morning.

kylefsu32

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2004
Arguments over thinner iMac

What I don't get is the same people who are complaining about the imacs being made thinner are the same people buying the super thin LED televisions..

NorthApple

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012
Did you pay for the extra shipping or the standard shipping?

Did not pay extra but upon request to customer service the shipping was changed to expedited. Even though it shows as next day it will still take until Monday to receive it since FedEx does not deliver on the weekend. I checked the tracking details this morning and see that even though it left the manufacturer on the 12th (Shanghai time, which would be the 11th in the US) it had to go through some type of import clearance that kept it in China until the 13th (12th here in US) before it left the country. As previously guestimated, it could well now be sitting at the FedEx transfer site located 3 miles from my house getting ready to be put on another plane to the customs release facility thousands of miles away before being flown back -at least that is how UPS ships their items from Apples manufacturer in China. I'm beginning to wonder though if Fed Ex does it differently and that the import clearance referenced on the trackng listing as having taken place in Shanghai may allow the iMac to be held here at the FedEx transfer facility without going on for customs clearance and coming back. This might be a special accomodation that goes with expedited "next day" shipping. Either way should have it in hand Monday morning.

Last edited:

cheekyb

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
waiting for 27" imac - delivery 27th-28th UK customer

hi there just making myself known to other UK customers waiting for their 27" imacs - i ordered mine just an hour after the ordering system opened in the UK and the date has not changed ;0

I didn't order mine until about 30 minutes after Apple Store UK began taking details.

I see it says Preparing for Shipment and delivery date is quoted as 27th-28th December.

Will it arrive sooner?

How many days after the Preparing for Shipment notice does it usually take for the Shipped email to appear?

nxb8373

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Apple WAS processing my payment but now no longer

So I checked my bank statement online and my 11/30 order was processing for 2 days and now is no longer there so i guess I'll be waiting for mine some time longer

KASZ1200

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2012
27" iMac

So I called Apple and they put my order on expedite and dropped the price of my super drive and threw in a coupon,all for free...I saw that it changed my shipping dates to a few days earlier,so hopefully that will help me get it ASAP.I guess I will still have to wait and see what REALLY happens...:)

apotherix

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
On it's way

I'm going to be a mindless lemming and just tell the whole world, mostly because people here are more likely to care than anyone else...

IT SHIPPED!

vladcanada

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto
Mine seems to be doing a world tour lol, so far it's been in china(obviously), Korea, Poland, Germany, and I don't know where it's off to next but apparently it's due Tuesday and is on schedule.:D

Same here! Dec 13 - Shanghai, China >> Dec 13 - Anchorage, AK, US >> Dec 14 - Louisville, KY, US...

Final destination is Toronto, Canada on Dec 19

skarper

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
I like that the new iMacs are thinner and lighter. I will move mine from room to room several times a day. I also like not having the DVD drive integral since it is rarely used and a simple cheap DVD drive can be plugged in as and when I need it.

I'm not fussed with touchscreen - never used the iPad or iPhone and while I'm sure it will come I think there are higher priorities now. I wouldn't want to pay 100-200USD just ot be able to have touchscreen. I am often eating at my computer so greasy fingers can be a problem anyway.

I'm looking ot buy mine after January 2013. Hopefully any kinks in the process will be worked out by then. I may even have to wait a bit longer which could mean some of the inevitable hardware malfunctions have been sorted too.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I like that the new iMacs are thinner and lighter. I will move mine from room to room several times a day. I also like not having the DVD drive integral since it is rarely used and a simple cheap DVD drive can be plugged in as and when I need it.

I'm not fussed with touchscreen - never used the iPad or iPhone and while I'm sure it will come I think there are higher priorities now. I wouldn't want to pay 100-200USD just ot be able to have touchscreen. I am often eating at my computer so greasy fingers can be a problem anyway.

I'm looking ot buy mine after January 2013. Hopefully any kinks in the process will be worked out by then. I may even have to wait a bit longer which could mean some of the inevitable hardware malfunctions have been sorted too.

I would get an external Blu-Ray external like that you can put in your own bought Blu-Ray drive. Then install a Blu-Ray playing program like Blu-Ray Player. I use this and it works great on my 2008 Mac Pro (running 10.8.2 right now).

NorthApple

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012
Did not pay extra but upon request to customer service the shipping was changed to expedited. Even though it shows as next day it will still take until Monday to receive it since FedEx does not deliver on the weekend. I checked the tracking details this morning and see that even though it left the manufacturer on the 12th (Shanghai time, which would be the 11th in the US) it had to go through some type of import clearance that kept it in China until the 13th (12th here in US) before it left the country. As previously guestimated, it could well now be sitting at the FedEx transfer site located 3 miles from my house getting ready to be put on another plane to the customs release facility thousands of miles away before being flown back -at least that is how UPS ships their items from Apples manufacturer in China. I'm beginning to wonder though if Fed Ex does it differently and that the import clearance referenced on the trackng listing as having taken place in Shanghai may allow the iMac to be held here at the FedEx transfer facility without going on for customs clearance and coming back. This might be a special accomodation that goes with expedited "next day" shipping. Either way should have it in hand Monday morning.

Updating the update. Arrived today (12/14) ahead of stated delivery date. Actually just made the truck loading for the morning delivery by arriving at the FedEx airport an hour before the delivery trucks were loading.

dpace32

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
I am surprised we haven't seen any benchmarks yet... I would like to see the 21 vs 27 stock and the 27 BTO w/fusion vs stock. :rolleyes::apple:

skh

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
Vesa

Can someone that has on already see if it's VESA compatible (e.g. if the bracket can pop out like the older models)?

Mine's supposed to come Monday, and I'm going to refuse delivery if it's not compatible. Don't want to pay for return shipping.

Ram27

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
looks exactly like my 2011 iMac from the front,

I can see why apple was so desperate to reduce the glare on the screen, everyone using these must be sat at a 60+ degree angle to the screen so they can view that "slim"(pointless) form factor as well.

I bet you hated the handle on the original iMac too.

NorthApple

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012
Can someone that has on already see if it's VESA compatible (e.g. if the bracket can pop out like the older models)?

Mine's supposed to come Monday, and I'm going to refuse delivery if it's not compatible. Don't want to pay for return shipping.

Google and then Check the recent tear-down report. Apparently the support bracket is mounted behind the case in such a manner that complicates, if not makes impossible, VESA compatibility.

From the report:

R.OG also noted that the stand is mounted from the inside so VESA mounts will be a problem with the new device.

You could always get a second monitor to hang on the wall if that is your intent.

Last edited:

dogcat

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
Did you order it on November 30th? Anyone here anything who ordered say about Dec 5?

Same here! Dec 13 - Shanghai, China >> Dec 13 - Anchorage, AK, US >> Dec 14 - Louisville, KY, US...

Final destination is Toronto, Canada on Dec 19

Seems that a number of first day people has parcels on the way. What about people who ordered a few days later?

mcrispin

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2007
Build Number?

If anyone gets the 27" 2012 iMac - can you tell me what build number the OS is? I am hoping it is 12C2034.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.