Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stephen85

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
I've noticed that my usage overnight has been 30mins although it's unplugged and not backing up to icloud, on "do not disturb" and with all apps closed.

Last night I put it in air plane mode thinking it's down to the carrier but and I'm still getting usage of 30mins.

I originally setup the phone as new and on average get between 5-6 hours usage and 16hours - 29 hours standby which i'm not entirely happy with tbh.

What do people suggest?

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
Same problem also for me. Usage on standby overnight was about 50 minutes to 90 minutes in a span of 14 hours. Everything turned off,no push whatsoever, nothing. Nada. Zilch, zero.

Wonder what causes that? Does a ghost play with my phone when I'm not around or asleep?

I get 5 hour 30 minutes average battery life.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
Noyhing wrong with that. :)

This isn't about battery life. I learned to accept the subpar battery. The question has more to do why iPhone 5 is using up usage time despite being on standby, sitting on the table overnight or whatnot with fetch, push, iCloud all those crap turned off, not to mention location services off.

stephen85

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
Same problem also for me. Usage on standby overnight was about 50 minutes to 90 minutes in a span of 14 hours. Everything turned off,no push whatsoever, nothing. Nada. Zilch, zero.

Wonder what causes that? Does a ghost play with my phone when I'm not around or asleep?

I get 5 hour 30 minutes average battery life.

It's very weird considering nothing is running, maybe it could be operating system processes just holding the iPhone at an idle state.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
It's the same with me. When I leave it on overnight, my usage overnight increases by 30 minutes and the battery drain is 5%.

When I turn off cellular network (EDGE for me since I'm on T-Mobile), overnight usage increases by 10 minutes but battery drain is 3%.

I leave cellular network on but turn off all push and fetch, overnight usage is 10 minutes and battery drain is 3%.

When I turn off location services completely, overnight usage is 30 minutes and battery drain is 5%.

With Siri off, overnight usage is 30 minutes and battery drain is 5%.

All push notifications off, overnight usage is 30 minutes and battery drain is 5%.

However, with airplane mode on, overnight usage is 5 minutes and battery drain is 1%.

I didn't try with wifi off since that's already off when the phone is on standby.

Hopefully, it's just an iOS bug and it will be fixed in iOS 6.1. I can't figure out what else could be draining the battery overnight. A while back, I downloaded carat but read reviews on the app store saying it was useless so I just deleted it immediately.

The other day, I saw the thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1509242/. I just downloaded carat yesterday and am going to try using it for a while and see what it turns up. Maybe it could be Game Center draining all the battery overnight?

edit: iCloud Backup is off

stephen85

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
It's the same with me. When I leave it on overnight, my usage overnight increases by 30 minutes and the battery drain is 5%.

When I turn off cellular network (EDGE for me since I'm on T-Mobile), overnight usage increases by 10 minutes but battery drain is 3%.

I leave cellular network on but turn off all push and fetch, overnight usage is 10 minutes and battery drain is 3%.

When I turn off location services completely, overnight usage is 30 minutes and battery drain is 5%.

With Siri off, overnight usage is 30 minutes and battery drain is 5%.

All push notifications off, overnight usage is 30 minutes and battery drain is 5%.

However, with airplane mode on, overnight usage is 5 minutes and battery drain is 1%.

I didn't try with wifi off since that's already off when the phone is on standby.

Hopefully, it's just an iOS bug and it will be fixed in iOS 6.1. I can't figure out what else could be draining the battery overnight. A while back, I downloaded carat but read reviews on the app store saying it was useless so I just deleted it immediately.

The other day, I saw the thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1509242/. I just downloaded carat yesterday and am going to try using it for a while and see what it turns up. Maybe it could be Game Center draining all the battery overnight?

edit: iCloud Backup is off

I'm hoping the new update to ios has some positive impact on battery life both overnight and in general, according to early post from forum users they are noticing speed increases in stock apps so I think apple does certain things under the radar. After all their not going to put "fixes poor battery performance" in the update release notes.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
FYI I have 12-20 minutes usage in 9 hours of phone sitting unused on bedside table for 9 hours at night. That's comparable to androids I've used so I think it's pretty normal. Battery life drops 3-5%.

90miles

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
Maybe you guys could adjust the charging cycle so it coincides with the time you go to bed, you'd wake up with 100% battery every day.

stephen85

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
Update: left if off charge last night on airplane mode and lost only 1% battery with only 4mins usage which is a major difference when compared to before.

sandwicher

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
I charged mine to 100% (charger icon showing)...unplugged it and it immediately dropped to 98%...wonder why.....(?)

The Arbitrary number needs calibration (it doesn't really reflect a 2% drop.)
Restart your phone and it'll be fine.

If it doesn't bother you, don't restart and continue using. That 'loss' of 2% will be ' compensated' with the other 98%.

If you know what I mean?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Update: left if off charge last night on airplane mode and lost only 1% battery with only 4mins usage which is a major difference when compared to before.

It's the exact same with my phone. Very strange, isn't it? I think there's just something running in the background relating to the phone network

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.