Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
I found this scematic. Perhaps it is of some help.

Thanks but that's msata. The 'blade type' connector apple uses appears slightly different. Although it's not exclusive to apple so it may well be documented.

Last edited:

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
Well over the last two days we have now pulled apart 3 imac 27 inch machines and installed SSD drives.

even pulled one apart twice.

no problems all went well

got photos i will post tonight

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
You're awesome R.OG. I was thinking the same thing, it's a pretty simple project, but I wouldn't know where to find a pinout diagram (have toshiba published this?) or would it be easy enough to trace? Either way, better someone with confidence in this stuff does it, such as yourself.

This would definitely be the best way to go. A standard SSD could be placed in the HDD mount using the power meant for SATA1, but be connected to SATA0, where the firmware expects to find an SSD. This way, the diagnostic tools wouldn't throw up any errors due to no temperature sensor being detected on SATA01.

Also, I'm sure quite a few people would be interested. It would be cheap enough to make a run of 50-100.

I plan to get the pinout from this board. It's a simple design but i probably won't get a chance to work on it till mid january.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqV,!pcFB(p3gvUCBQWUv3hcvg~~60_3.JPG
    $(KGrHqV,!pcFB(p3gvUCBQWUv3hcvg~~60_3.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 145

HunterMaximus

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2008
Toronto, ON, Canada
Well I didn't get as many photos as i thought i would. when it came time to open them we were more worried about trying to do it carefully and correct.

but i got some anyway, probably the same as you have already seen but anyway .

Nice pics. Looks like you used the replacement tape around the whole perimeter of the machine. Don't suppose you've tried re-opening it to see if it's more difficult?

Also, what was your technique to avoid the camera and Wi-Fi antennas? Is it something you need to be particularly careful about, or just aware of what you're doing?

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
Nice pics. Looks like you used the replacement tape around the whole perimeter of the machine. Don't suppose you've tried re-opening it to see if it's more difficult?

Also, what was your technique to avoid the camera and Wi-Fi antennas? Is it something you need to be particularly careful about, or just aware of what you're doing?

we actually did have to open it again, And it was slightly harder but was still fine. I rather that at least i know screen is on safe.

as for wifi antenna, they are flush with screen so you can't damage them.

the camera you just stop short of of it .

we used a guitar pick .

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
we actually did have to open it again, And it was slightly harder but was still fine. I rather that at least i know screen is on safe.

as for wifi antenna, they are flush with screen so you can't damage them.

the camera you just stop short of of it .

we used a guitar pick .

Do you think it is better to replace the HHD with a 2.5 inch SSD rather than installing a compatible blade SSD? Doing this means that you have to use an external storage solution. It would be good if you could get an affordable 1000 gig SSD's but that is years off.

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
Do you think it is better to replace the HHD with a 2.5 inch SSD rather than installing a compatible blade SSD? Doing this means that you have to use an external storage solution. It would be good if you could get an affordable 1000 gig SSD's but that is years off.

I have a NAS which is in RAID better than having in my imac.

I like having the storage all locked in a secure room separate from the computer.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Thanks for the photos. Did you use the 3M VHM tape RO.G used?

Also, in 3 days or so, it will be considerably harder to remove the screen. Perhaps impossible without damage, since the tape bonds in that time from what I read...

HardcoreWally

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Honestly, with that much VHB applied, I doubt you'll ever get it open after it fully bonds. :(

Hey WilliamG, any experience with this? Anything solid to base this on?
I mean, before we opened them, the tape Apple used was applied alot more than what we have reapplied with this tape. We didn't apply tape along the bottom, where the screen sits on the ledge.

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
The guy from from the tape place said it should remove fine.

maybe could have put a bit less. but to late now its done.

as long as drive doesn't fail no need to open,

but there is always a way. if it's strong heat gun and blade.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Hey WilliamG, any experience with this? Anything solid to base this on?
I mean, before we opened them, the tape Apple used was applied alot more than what we have reapplied with this tape. We didn't apply tape along the bottom, where the screen sits on the ledge.

I don't really "know." All I know is that VHB = Very High Bond, and is designed to bond like a strong glue after 72 hours.

You do NOT want to use a blade to open up the iMac again. That I'm sure of.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Funny how some people complain it's not low enough. For me, I can't get the darn thing high enough, so I was hoping to VESA mount it to my desk using a desk mount to get it higher. Guess I won't be doing that, phooey!

I do freelance work on the digital side in the fashion world and the amount of fashion companies and small to mid sized advertising shops that have iMacs being elevated to normal user height level by utilizing books is mind boggling! My 7 year old Dell 19" screen, which is utilized as a second side monitor has back / forward and side to side tilt, PLUS up / down! If a monitor or all-in-one doesn't come with this option, at least allow the user to easily add it on! :mad:

----------

I think it would be acceptable if you had hardback copies of the Steve biography stacked underneath. ;)

Well, F-Steve! He left Cook in charge and now look at what we have to deal with! My options are either: A $2400 computer that ISN'T VESA mountable OR utilizing what is becoming for my needs a severely underpowered Macmini! WTF?!?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
The guy from from the tape place said it should remove fine.

maybe could have put a bit less. but to late now its done.

as long as drive doesn't fail no need to open,

but there is always a way. if it's strong heat gun and blade.

Was your model a fusion or just 1TB? You got a Seagate drive, which is nice.

mattiasdk

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2010
Just got mine today, it's amazing - didn't have time to install anything but the extra ram, but will try to open it up tomorrow and install my 840 Pro.

Will post some pictures and speed tests when it's done

#NVRENUF!
Did you enable TRIM or is that not needed on Mountain Lion? What about the temperature sensor, is it still present in the late 2012-models?

Last edited:

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
Just got mine today, it's amazing - didn't have time to install anything but the extra ram, but will try to open it up tomorrow and install my 840 Pro.

Will post some pictures and speed tests when it's done

#NVRENUF!
Did you enable TRIM or is that not needed on Mountain Lion? What about the temperature sensor, is it still present in the late 2012-models?

Hi mate we didn't do anything. Just cloned original drive and put new one inside works perfectly. We did a hardware test on boot up and it came up perfect no errors at all. fans are all normal. been running for couple days now :)

Hopefully soon someone will start selling kits with the correct tape.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.