Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
FWIW I have W8 on my desktop and use it similarly to how I use Dashboard on OS X. In fact it's kind of like Dashboard+Launchpad(which I don't use).

B

Exactly. Which leads me to believe business will skip it b.c it brings nothing to the table

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
I waited for windows 8 to see if they can match the same feeling as OSX or iOS but i was really dissapointed. there are many things in the system I just hate.

the metro looks good but windows is still windows unless they build it from the ground up

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
I just got a new windows 8 laptop for work and i havent used windows since xp but I hate it, im comparing to osx but its not fluid at all still has all the windows problems of old. Im truely amazed that a company of microsofts size cant get it together in 2012. I was looking foward to using windows 8 because i have just moved to android for my phone and im loving it over ios but im going to buy a new macbook air 2moro and i couldnt be happier. Whats the point of metro for non touch screens? At least with xp i knew what the hell was going on, people complain osx is going the way of ios but windows 8 is there. How do business ppl like this dumbing down?

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
I am shocked anyone likes windows 8. I feel like it will go the way of vista....maybe on a tablet it is good, but with a desktop metro is useless.

I don't mind windows 8 at all even though I spend most of time in the desktop environment and while I do go into the start menu I don't have an issue with it. Also got an HP Envy with touchscreen and found myself using screen gestures because I can. I bet it won't be long before we see this on a mac :)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I don't mind windows 8 at all even though I spend most of time in the desktop environment and while I do go into the start menu I don't have an issue with it. Also got an HP Envy with touchscreen and found myself using screen gestures because I can. I bet it won't be long before we see this on a mac :)

I always thought touch screen on a Mac would be great, but after using one on windows 8 it just seems clunky and forced. I feel like a tablet needs to be a tablet and a laptop/desktop needs a keyboard and mouse/trackpad. The trackpads with macs is so good you don't need a mouse or touchscreen. IMO on paper it sounds great, but in reality it just is very unnatural.

Pjstock42

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I'm enjoying my Vaio Duo but there are still many aspects of Windows 8 that need to be further optimized for touch.

Also many apps (Chrome most notably) dont have pinch to zoom and also going into "Windows 8" mode is a pain in the ass.

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
Windows 8 better than iOS? Seems like an unfair comparison. One's a desktop, and one's a mobile operating system. And fluidity has always been a strong point in iOS, so that's curious.

I don't know why OP made that comparison either, but I think Windows PHONE 8 is better than iOS and Android. Yeah, I know it lacks apps, but we're only discussing the OS.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I just got a new windows 8 laptop for work and i havent used windows since xp but I hate it, im comparing to osx but its not fluid at all still has all the windows problems of old. Im truely amazed that a company of microsofts size cant get it together in 2012. I was looking foward to using windows 8 because i have just moved to android for my phone and im loving it over ios but im going to buy a new macbook air 2moro and i couldnt be happier. Whats the point of metro for non touch screens? At least with xp i knew what the hell was going on, people complain osx is going the way of ios but windows 8 is there. How do business ppl like this dumbing down?

What? The number of changes from XP to 8 are astronomical. Lets start with the under-the-hood changes: Completely re-written compositing window system, brand new audio stack, better RAM and HDD management, the ability to pause file copying/moving, the ability to use > 3.3gigs of RAM...

If you're having problems with it I'd suggest taking it to your IT guy.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It's interesting seeing certain people claim iOS is better than Android because of the Apps (be it regarding exclusivity, ecosystem, lack of fragmentation, sheer numbers, profitability, etc.) then be able to accept Windows Phone 8 over Android despite it's severely lacking App selection.

Just an observation.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
My roommate just got a Yoga and it's a fun toy, but I don't know how Windows diehards will welcome the change. It's not very intuitive at all. It doesn't work at all for business people. I can see Windows 9 going back to a traditional desktop and Metro becoming an extra add-on, like XP Media Center/Front Row, etc.

----------

It's interesting seeing certain people claim iOS is better than Android because of the Apps (be it regarding exclusivity, ecosystem, lack of fragmentation, sheer numbers, profitability, etc.) then be able to accept Windows Phone 8 over Android despite it's severely lacking App selection.

Just an observation.

this, double standard is hilarious.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia

Just an observation.

Isn't this topic about Windows 8, not Windows Phone 8?

But on what you said, If I had to go for a phone other than an iPhone, I'd get a Windows Phone. Both Android and WP are missing a lot of the apps I use on a regular basis, so I'd go for the one which offers better performance. Android has a better chance of catching up in the app department though. Google are actually doing a good job keeping WP down by not offering most of their services and apps in the WP store.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Sort of how people used to complain how Linux has no apps so it sucks, but then went and used OS X? :rolleyes:

Almost all complaints regarding the applications on Linux (or lack of) are not centred around the number, but more the lack of enterprise applications and commercial games.

In terms of these types of applications OS X totally eclipses Linux. Unless i'm missing something, your analogy is not even close.

Last edited:

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012

Just an observation.

Atleast it doesn't lag and crash, probably more important than apps imo.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Atleast it doesn't lag and crash, probably more important than apps imo.

Neither of my Android devices lag or crash to any extent which would validate your generalisation. It's also a pretty stale generalisation which is at least 18 months out of date anyways....

Much in the same way that people continue to make these kinds of generalisations about Windows even though Windows 7 is easily (at least) as stable as Mac OS X.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Neither of my Android devices lag or crash to any extent which would validate your generalisation. It's also a pretty stale generalisation which is at least 18 months out of date anyways....

Much in the same way that people continue to make these kinds of generalisations about Windows even though Windows 7 is easily (at least) as stable as Mac OS X.

Come to think of it, both Mac OSX and Windows interface remained unchanged from the past till now. At least before Windows 8...

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah im guessing are you using a high end android device? All the low end new ones do as well as the old ones. Especially those that can't run jellybean.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Probably not out of date as such but based on cheaper android devices possibly.

We all know the flagship Android devices have come on leaps and bounds, but there are still so many terrible android handsets in the lower and mid range often on PayAsYouGo devices that are simply horrendous to use and experience Andriod on.

I have often been asked to setup lower range Android devices and the user experience is truly awful and sub par in many cases, even when the device is by a recognised manufacturer.

Recently did a Samsung Mini 2 for a neighbour, bloody awful device. This was the users first taste of Android and a smartphone. They may be ignorant of the pleasures of decent handset brings to the Android, but that doesn't take away the fact they are feeling Android is crap despite me telling them, no its just their handset. And it wasn't 'cheap, in their eyes either. Costing them €180 on PAYG.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011

Im not sure about windows 7 but windows 8 is not as stable as osx at all.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Yeah im guessing are you using a high end android device? All the low end new ones do as well as the old ones. Especially those that can't run jellybean.

I'm using a Galaxy Nexus and it was released a year ago. Even when it was just released it wasn't particularly "high end" as far as hardware goes.

These can now be purchased off contract for about $300AU (~$315US) in Australia. Hardly high end and it's extremely smooth.

The cheapest iPhone I can buy brand new is the 8GB iPhone 4 at $449AU
http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone4

I can get a brand new, top of the line 16GB Nexus 4 off contract for less than that so i'm not sure it's really relevant when iPhone users make use of the term "high end" as a comparative. A 2.5 year old iPhone is more expensive than most Android handsets.

Furthermore, I also have no idea why this is a surprise to you unless you have no experience with general computing other than Apple. Complaining about performance of a low end Android phone is exactly like buying a cheap Acer Netbook with Windows and complaining it's not as fast/good quality as a high end Vaio or Samsung.

Last edited:

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I haven't used it for more than a few minutes, but Windows 8 still has some quirks.

Yes, it is very pretty looking and yes, it does make doing most typical tasks (checking email, listening to music, searching the web, etc) easier... but there is a considerable learning curve for quick navigation and feeling like you are actually using a computer instead of merely interacting with a dumbed-down interface.

Microsoft is smart for trying to unify their tablet and desktop experiences, but I am not convinced that one-size fits all is the best approach as computing platforms start to overlap.

Maybe they see customization as a good way to get around that issue. dunno

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Yes given Google's business model and the proliferation of android one can get a bad android device but one can get a great one too. This is where research goes a long way. There's no point in focusing only on one end then generalizing the whole platform. It's an antiquated argument and reeks of ignorance.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I honestly wish that people that haven't tried out any of the flagship Android devices would stop with their lag, not smooth, crashes arguments, because it just isn't true. It seems to be some sort of comfort blanket for them.

I nearly never got a SGS3 because I believed these tired old fallacy's, I'm glad that I bothered to find out for myself, 6 month's ago I could never have seen me using anything other than an iPhone, now, I cant make my mind up between a SGS3 and a Nexus 4, both are superb devices.

I still love Apple products, I still have a MBP, iPad 1 and am getting an iPad Mini for Christmas (Cant wait), I just can't see me going back to an iPhone any time soon though.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
I honestly wish that people that haven't tried out any of the flagship Android devices would stop with their lag, not smooth, crashes arguments, because it just isn't true. It seems to be some sort of comfort blanket for them.

I nearly never got a SGS3 because I believed these tired old fallacy's, I'm glad that I bothered to find out for myself, 6 month's ago I could never have seen me using anything other than an iPhone, now, I cant make my mind up between a SGS3 and a Nexus 4, both are superb devices.

The SGS3 and Nexus 4 are far and away the best Android devices on the market and they definitely address the 'tired' excuses Anti-Android folks use. They are both, as you say, superb devices and great alternatives to the iPhone.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the vast majority of Android devices that due to compromises still suffer from crashing, lag, and low frame rates.

It's true, Google has been tightening control over Android OEMs to the benefit of consumers while also "sponsoring" flagship devices like the Nexus that are much more representative of what Google and consumers would like Android to be. But the fact remains, outside of these devices there is still a much wider range to the Android experience than is seen with either iOS or Windows Phone - both of whom very tightly control hardware and software integration.

Like many things, the truth is somewhere in between: There are Android devices that truly exemplify the what Android can do and then there are the rest that fall somewhere behind...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.