Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acamerainjapan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
I like to listen to my ipod classic on the subway, but most of the time I can't hear the podcasts I like to listen to. Any good in the ear headphones that have a noise cancelling feature?

Thanks.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
I love my Shure SE215K headphones. These are also noise-isolating (not canceling) but do a great job at it. And the sound quality is incredible for $100 headphones.

treatment

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
Anything by Sennheiser or AKG.
Make sure they fit though, otherwise it defeats the purpose.
When you put them in your ear, you should feel like your underwater.

Also, if you have the cash to spend, Logitech makes some custom in ear models for musicians that offer -30 dB of cancellation.

canderton

macrumors member
May 25, 2010
Any of the Shure SE series earbuds would be a solid choice. I've got a pair of SE110's that are almost 5 years old and still work great. The cord is braided so they are extremely durable. They don't use any active noise canceling tech either, just a tight seal in your ear and they block out 90% of outside noise. If you want something with active noise canceling Bose is supposed to have the best in the business. Sound quality however, is a different story...

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
the etymotic research ER4 series have a high degree of noise isolation.Around 30-40dB i believe. those should sound good and also block out any noise on the subway.

The Etymotic ER4 is fantastic. Pretty pricy, but great.

I have a pair of Bose QC15s that I often use on commercial flights... and the ER4s are MUCH quieter... even though they are noise isolating. When it comes to sound quality... Etymotic and Bose are not in the same league at all. The ER4s produce music that I've never hear before. Remarkable.

/Jim

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Get a pair of Apple Earpods.

Just kidding... Get the klipsch s4i, heard a lot of good remarks about it.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Depending on your budget you could consider custom ear monitors.

Ultimate Ears makes good ones. Custom fit for comfort and seal; never have to share your earphones with anyone else.

Acamerainjapan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Depending on your budget you could consider custom ear monitors.

Ultimate Ears makes good ones. Custom fit for comfort and seal; never have to share your earphones with anyone else.

I was thinking of dropping around 100 to 150$$

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I think it might be worth saying that no matter which "noise canceling" headphones you buy, they probably aren't going to cancel out -all- the noise, particularly if it's the New York City subway that you're talking about.

It's noisy down there!

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
the etymotic research ER4 series have a high degree of noise isolation.Around 30-40dB i believe. those should sound good and also block out any noise on the subway.

I love my Etymotics and used them every day when riding the squeaky rails around Boston. They have some of the best sound for in-ear headphones and even the basic "flanges" do a great job blocking sound. There are also high-density foam inserts that will pretty much make you deaf to external sounds...I didn't like them because it made me paranoid since it completely blocked the outside world.

I have the Hf3's which are more expensive, but worth every penny, IMHO.

EBsound

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2015
Good earbuds for the subway

ANC Bose QC 20 earbuds is the most effective and comfortable
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC23 is also good
I like Sony MDRNC13 too.
AKG K391 NC–Aluminum housing earbuds, durable, good sound quality, long battery life.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Another vote for the Shure SE-series. Just take the time to try out all of the different sleeves. I was originally a Black foam sleeve guy, but I hated the process of putting them in. I switched to the triple-flange a few years ago. After a little surgery (I shortened the tips), they fit wonderfully. I get a great seal and they're plenty comfortable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.