Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themomopan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
So I never thought I'd say this, but they shipped my iMac too fast... (or too late for that matter). I'm leaving town the night before the estimated delivery time by FedEx, however when I choose the option to Hold At Fedex, they say the package is too big. I'll be gone for two days, and I'm scared I might miss Fedex when they knock on my door on that third day! What should I do?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
So I never thought I'd say this, but they shipped my iMac too fast... (or too late for that matter). I'm leaving town the night before the estimated delivery time by FedEx, however when I choose the option to Hold At Fedex, they say the package is too big. I'll be gone for two days, and I'm scared I might miss Fedex when they knock on my door on that third day! What should I do?

Can you have somebody present at your place? I also seem to remeber that back home in the states at least, there is a "PreSgn" option, but if the goods vanish, it's your hit.

themomopan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Exactly. I don't wanna pre-sign haha. No one is gonna be at my place either.

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Are you in the USA? If so, you should be able to ship to a local Fed Ex/Kinko's and have them hold it there for pickup. UPS does that at the UPS store for vacation holds.

Aug 5, 2012
You should have considered this before placing your order.

You cant blame apple or fedex for doing their job properly!

medi.freak

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011

of course you are right, but since I am in the same situation as the OP, because I will be gone between 22nd and 6th, I thought if they attempt to deliver early and fail, it really won't be my fault since delivery says "January".

SO if something goes wrong, I just give Apple a call and explain and who know, might get something out of it?

Since Apple just throws in superdrives and trackpads for no reason except the buyer calling and asking for one I think it would be reasonable.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC

When Apple changes their dates both earlier and later? Please, I doubt many people make plans to be home every day 24 hours a day for the next year when they order something. "Sorry, can not go on the grocery run dear, my computer is arriving sometime this season." Especially with a lot of these computers being shipped around the holidays, what do you expect will happen?

I live in an apartment building with a front desk that accepts packages 24/7. That is not the same for everyone though. It is like the cable person saying they will be there sometime between 10 and 6 times 100.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
This is another the reason I'm getting mine through an Apple store, yes it means going to pick it up but at least it will be safe. I know it's is not an option for everyone because of distance to the store or not having a car.

The only time I had anything delivered by Apple was an iPod Classic a few years back. I got it delivered to where I was working at the time, since I knew it would be delivered during business hours.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
To the OP: I feel your pain. When FedEx first showed up with my iMac last week, my wife arrived back home just as the truck was pulling away. Fortunately, she called FedEx and the driver returned later in the day. You say that you can't choose the Hold at FedEx option online, but they may be able to come up with some other arrangement if you call them directly.

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Re-read the first post....he already answered this.

No, he said that Fed Ex would not hold it. If you have a package shipped to Fed Ex/Kinkos which is a retail establishment, that is something different. That is why I posted this info. UPS will not hold your package at their shipping facility, but you can have it delivered to their retail store and it will be held for you.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Re-read the first post....he already answered this.

No he did not. He said they will not hold at FedEx, but if they have a specific guideline for a vacation hold then that is another story. The difference, as far as I know, is three delivery attempts then they send back or hold or you tell them you're out of town and you cannot accept delivery.

I am lucky to live in a place where I have neighbors who are willing to come to my porch and pick up my boxes if need be but I do all that I can to ensure boxes aren't going to arrive when I am gone. Sometimes, it is unavoidable.

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
I'm surprised at some of the responses here.

If Apple said "delivery date is December 20-27" I would plan on being home one day during that time, depending on the tracking info for the package, but that doesn't mean I plan on being home December 15 or January 1, and in fact, I might plan my entire vacation outside the original delivery window just to avoid not being home.

If Apple delivers either early or late, there is no way to plan ahead for that unless you have no life and just plan on being home all day every day.

Like someone said above, it's like when the cable guy says he'll be at your house between 8am and 6pm, only MUCH worse. How do you even plan around that unless you take an entire day off work for a 15 minute appointment?

nparmelee

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2008
My FedEx estimated delivery was for tomorrow, but it's on the truck for delivery today. Hopefully yours will get there early for you. If not, try calling FedEx with the information and see what they can do for you.

Ryan.Tanner

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
McKinney, TX
I would call FedEx and have them reroute the package to your nearest FedEx Office location. They can securely hold your package in a locked facility on-site. The benefit to this is, they have long hours and are usually open until 11:00pm. This is one of the best features of shipping FedEx, and it is free; unlike UPS who tried to implement the same feature, but they charge you $5.00 for it. FedEx does it for free, or for simply shipping with them.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"UPS will not hold your package at their shipping facility, but you can have it delivered to their retail store and it will be held for you."

I've never had a problem with UPS refusing to "hold" a package for me at their local distribution facility.

When I'm out of the house, I leave a message on the door with instructions, to wit, "... if package from xxx cannot be delivered without signature, please hold at the xxxx distribution point and I'll come in and pick it up".

Perhaps they've changed something recently, but this has always worked for me, for packages large and small.

themomopan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Lots of really great tips here guys! I'll call them (it arrived in Los Angeles today, but delivers tomorrow). I'll try to pick it up from whereever it is now.

themomopan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
And to those saying I shouldn't have ordered in the first place, I ordered on Nov 30 when the iMac came out. Delivery window was Dec. 30-Jan 3rd. Before I planned to go out of town, I asked for one day shipping, so they bumped me up to the 27th. Didn't expect them to deliver it so soon!

Also, here's an update! I just checked my tracking and YAY, it's on the vehicle for delivery today. Two days early from Apple's estimate, one day early from FedEx's!! So excited.

Kroner

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Norway
This is why I didn't order once it was possible to pre-order.
Last time I ordered something from Apple, it arrived before the expected date.
Which was rather problematic since I was on a fieldtrip, and wasn't expecting it to arrive nearly 1 week earlier.

I thought it would work out after I went to the UPS site and talked with the delivery guy on the phone to try a new delivery attempt on a specific date. Somehow both the message from the site and from the guy failed to get into the system, and they ended almost returning my package.
I was able to stop them from returning it on time, but my package was still delayed by 1 week.

This time I ordered the iMac to be picked up at a store instead. Since I am visiting my family, and wasn't certain if I would be here if it were to arrive early.

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
Hopefully, you will get your Mac today. FedEx's policy is to make 3 attempts to deliver a package. If the package can't be delivered on any of the 3 attempts, they will hold the package for two to five days before they send it back to the shipper. FedEx really doesn't make this too well known because they don't want to be in the warehousing business if they can help it. Usually, all it takes is a phone call to the station that has the package and telling them your situation. If your anticipated pick up date is not excessive, they will almost always hold the package until you pick it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.