Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In yet another development in the worldwide patent battle between Apple and Samsung, The Verge reports that Samsung has dropped its requests for injunctions barring the sale of a number of Apple products in Europe. Samsung has accused Apple of infringing several standards-essential patents related to cellular technology and has been pursuing both sales bans and monetary damages. Samsung's statement reads:
Samsung remains committed to licensing our technologies on fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory terms, and we strongly believe it is better when companies compete fairly in the marketplace, rather than in court. In this spirit, Samsung has decided to withdraw our injunction requests against Apple on the basis of our standard essential patents pending in European courts, in the interest of protecting consumer choice.
While Samsung is portraying its move as an altruistic one focused on "protecting consumer choice", the company has been under scrutiny from the European Commission over potential antitrust issues related to licensing the standards-essential patents it owns.

apple_samsung_logos.jpg
Standards-essential patents are required to be licensed under FRAND (fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory) terms in order to promote competition. The requirement is aimed at preventing a single company from controlling an entire industry by refusing to license patents critical to building a competing product. Apple's lawyers have argued, however, that Samsung's offers for licensing its 3G-related patents have not been reasonable.

Apple has been pushing for greater clarification of how patents subject to FRAND terms should be licensed, and has been one of a number of parties to argue that standards-essential patents should not be used as the basis for requests for sales injunctions as the patents are intended to be licensed.

Article Link: Samsung Drops Injunction Requests Against Apple in Europe

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Funny, Macrumors spins this story against Samsung, other tech sites spin this story against Apple.

Who to trust?

I just want the companies to get back to producing kick *** phones and devices.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Funny, Macrumors spins this story against Samsung, other tech sites spin this story against Apple.

Who to trust?

Funny, everywhere I've read is spinning this story against Samsung for making such a ridiculous statement - 'in the interest of protecting consumer choice'.

Give me some places that are spinning this against Apple.

thekris1234

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
I agree with what was said in the comments on another site. I think Samsung have pulled out because of the threat from the EU to investigate abuse of SEP's.

I believe Motorola is already being investigated.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Funny, everywhere I've read is spinning this story against Samsung for making such a ridiculous statement - 'in the interest of protecting consumer choice'.

Give me some places that are spinning this against Apple.

Lol.. Yep.... But sees it all about "competing faily". .. How the hell did Samung take soo long?

another bird has died off before Samsung relied "in spirit"

Personally, this is where you Really wanna have a "we agree not to sue u" type aggreement.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Samsung stops wasting time and money and saves itself the embarrassment of losing in court. End of story.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Apple/Samsung, stop bothering each other and start innovating! I don't want to see a slightly updated 5S or S4.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Not pleased with the Note 2, GS III, or iPhone 5? If not, you may want to look at your standards.
Admittedly, the iPad 4 and latest Galaxy Tabs aren't exactly doing anything special, just speed upgrades.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Is not funny, its a fact:

- Samsung oem some 3G patents that Broadcom licensed, Apple uses the licensed Broadcom chips and now Samsung says that from all companies that uses the Broadcom chips, Apple should pay more and the other companies not.
- Apple innovate in physical design and GUI, Samsung blatantly copied both, and Samsung says it should be allowed to copy and don't pay.

Who to trust?

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Who's complaining? Let's all be selfish, the end of all these court battles is better for us consumers.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Not pleased with the Note 2, GS III, or iPhone 5? If not, you may want to look at your standards.
Admittedly, the iPad 4 and latest Galaxy Tabs aren't exactly doing anything special, just speed upgrades.

I am satisfied with the Note II more so than any other device I've used in the past 5 years. It really brings me back to my Palm TX days. I use it more than my iPad.

I agree however, that most of the slates being introduced aren't more than incremental updates save for the iPad Mini which really only keeps me interested because of it's size.

Is not funny, its a fact:

- Samsung oem some 3G patents that Broadcom licensed, Apple uses the licensed Broadcom chips and now Samsung says that from all companies that uses the Broadcom chips, Apple should pay more and the other companies not.
- Apple innovate in physical design and GUI, Samsung blatantly copied both, and Samsung says it should be allowed to copy and don't pay.

And Apple ripped off many a tech company in its day and vice versa and we've never seen such nonsense in the courts. Or at least it was kept quite.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Samsung remains committed to licensing our technologies on fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory terms, and we strongly believe it is better when companies compete fairly in the marketplace, rather than in court. In this spirit, Samsung has decided to withdraw our injunction requests against Apple on the basis of our standard essential patents pending in European courts, in the interest of protecting consumer choice.

This is a load of bollocks.

;) :rolleyes:

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
While Samsung is portraying its move as an altruistic one focused on "protecting consumer choice"

Looks like Samsung is taking a play from Google's propaganda playbook.

ryanasimov

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
A show of hands, please... Who would prefer that all future stories about Apple/Samsung legal wranglings be relegated to Page 2?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Next week we will all be GONE! ... end of the World coming this week ... or, haven't you heard yet ....

I totally forgot! I probably need to mail these Christmas cards _today_.

----------

A show of hands, please... Who would prefer that all future stories about Apple/Samsung legal wranglings be relegated to Page 2?

Yeah, I sometimes wish there was additional sub-categories to the main news section, like: new products, legal, competitive analysis/financial, etc (in addition to the sort of platform specific sections).

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Phew! Thank God I got my Apple vs Samsung update today. I feel much relieved now.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
Samsung = bad, bad, Puddy Tat. Apple = Angelic Tweety...

Or at least that's how some of these PR spins read. I wish these two companies would just sit down and sort out their differences. I appreciate the quality of Samsung equipment.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
And Apple ripped off many a tech company in its day and vice versa and we've never seen such nonsense in the courts. Or at least it was kept quite.

There were many court stories about others suing apple back in the day as well, but we weren't reading them online every day. Nothing really changed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.