Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Looks like I'll be deleting my Instagram soon.

I've read multiple posts & tweets saying this is going to be instagram's suicide note.

edit-

Any legal experts out there who can explain the clauses in Instagram and Facebook's TOS where they talk about this license as "subject to privacy settings"??

Does this mean if a photo is set to private they are not granted this license to use your content?

Last edited:

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
I rarely used it, so this the only kick in the butt I needed to delete my account. Providing a "free" service through ad revenue is one thing, but selling my photos to ANYONE is not okay with me.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
I'm imagining the person in charge of the user database at Instagram, watching the number of registered users dropping like a rock and freaking out. lol

"Um... guys? Anybody seeing this?" :p

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
I'm imagining the person in charge of the user database at Instagram, watching the number of registered users dropping like a rock and freaking out. lol

"Um... guys? Anybody seeing this?" :p

That fallout is sure to be intense. I've seen this topic all over the internet today.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
That fallout is sure to be intense. I've seen this topic all over the internet today.

No it won't. Maybe for the technologically intelligent and aware, but for the droves of teens, young adults, and mindless consumers following the latest fad, they'll keep taking sepia photos of their food or feet and have no idea.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
No it won't. Maybe for the technologically intelligent and aware, but for the droves of teens, young adults, and mindless consumers following the latest fad, they'll keep taking sepia photos of their food or feet and have no idea.

Oh of course. But TOP men have already tried to establish alternatives to instagram (top men is a joke). I personally don't use it and don't care about it. But the negative attention I've seen on the internet today gives me pause. Especially when news articles are showing people how to back up their photos and delete their accounts. The media goes nuts with this crap.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Call me dull, but I've never used any of the "social" stuff like Facebook, Instagram, etc.

Yet I'm a very social person, have lots of friends and we all prefer to get together live. Face to face. What a concept eh?

We do all kinds of stuff outdoors, helps to stay fit, get fresh air, laughs and all sorts of fun that sitting in front of a computer, tablet or the like generally hampers.

daitenshe

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2012
I don't get it

Why are people surprised? They're offering a totally free, ridiculously popular service and users are mad because the company actually wants to try and make some money? Inconvenience does not equal a bad move.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
Why are people surprised? They're offering a totally free, ridiculously popular service and users are mad because the company actually wants to try and make some money? Inconvenience does not equal a bad move.

The problem is HOW they propose making money. I think most people expect ads from companies, that much is fine. But when IG suggests that it may use the photos uploaded by its own "customers" to sell things without the "photographer's" consent, that's a bit violating. Personally, I'd much rather pay a small monthly fee with the expectation that I don't have to worry about things like this.

I rarely used IG before and certainly won't now. Like others said, there are too many better options now. Snapseed/Camera+/new Flickr app for image adjustments, Flickr or 500px for sharing. I just wonder if IG will swirl down the toilet and bring Facebook down with it (since FB is on the hook for the IG acquisition tab)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.