Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Looks like a nice, simple setup and a lot of fun. I'm hoping to buy some modifiers soon so I can work on this kind of stuff myself. Can you give a few more details about what lights you used and how you triggered them? I'm still trying to decide what I want to get for myself.

Oh yeah, and happy birthday!

Thanks. My birthday is not until Wednesday but with all the christmas parties it was difficult to get a location closer to it.

I used two flash heads. One 500WS and the other 400WS although both were used at half or less to expose at about f8 1/125 ISO 200. The key was firing into a silver/black umbrella using reflective light and the fill was shooting through a semi opaque umbrella.

I used a 600d with 17-55 f2.8 and used this free hand although I could have tripoded it and added a shutter release.

There was a PC sync cable going into a hotshoe adapter on the top of the 600d and this was triggering the closer "key" flash. The other flash was also set up to trigger when seeing the other flash and this synced nicely.

The camera was then also plugged into my laptop via lightroom and it was possible to use lightroom to control the camera. I could also apply different development presets when importing the photos through tethered mode.

I had also connected a 70" plasma that was at the location making the photos instantly appear after being taken, this was probably the best touch as it stops people wanting to crowd around the camera and makes them keen to take more.

This was only my first attempt with this setup and in the future I aim to get some wireless triggers, I did in fact rent them but they were broken on arrival. I would also like to figure out a way to either get a really long USB cable or "tether" wirelessly so as to have more freedom with the camera.

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Stump still life

From a trail near Killarney Provincial Park Friday past.

bjm1362.jpg

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Taken at Monarto Zoo a few weeks ago, I felt like I disturbed an important discussion here... :eek:

IMG_6398.jpg

----------

Oh my gawd it's Nibiru! :eek:

The New Agers were right. Henny-Penny why didn't I listen to you? :rolleyes:

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Different day, different pub, different pint, different fire...

pintsun_zps68f9536d.jpg

Very nice composition Doylem but there isn't a drop of condensation on that glass. Are you guys still indulging yourselves in that barbaric and torturous behaviour of drinking beer at room temperature? ;)

Mine for today...a cold pint. :)

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Thanks. My birthday is not until Wednesday but with all the christmas parties it was difficult to get a location closer to it.

I used two flash heads. One 500WS and the other 400WS although both were used at half or less to expose at about f8 1/125 ISO 200. The key was firing into a silver/black umbrella using reflective light and the fill was shooting through a semi opaque umbrella.

I used a 600d with 17-55 f2.8 and used this free hand although I could have tripoded it and added a shutter release.

There was a PC sync cable going into a hotshoe adapter on the top of the 600d and this was triggering the closer "key" flash. The other flash was also set up to trigger when seeing the other flash and this synced nicely.

The camera was then also plugged into my laptop via lightroom and it was possible to use lightroom to control the camera. I could also apply different development presets when importing the photos through tethered mode.

I had also connected a 70" plasma that was at the location making the photos instantly appear after being taken, this was probably the best touch as it stops people wanting to crowd around the camera and makes them keen to take more.

This was only my first attempt with this setup and in the future I aim to get some wireless triggers, I did in fact rent them but they were broken on arrival. I would also like to figure out a way to either get a really long USB cable or "tether" wirelessly so as to have more freedom with the camera.

That does sound like it was a lot of fun for everyone there. Thanks for sharing the details.

Now for some Christmas spirit!

GYS%20Fox%20Christmas%202012-115-XL.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Very nice composition Doylem but there isn't a drop of condensation on that glass. Are you guys still indulging yourselves in that barbaric and torturous behaviour of drinking beer at room temperature? ;)

I'm feeling mellow, so won't start a beer-fuelled rant that will end in tears. I'll just think of a pint of Timothy Tayor's Landlord bitter - yes, at room temperature! - and wish I was sitting in a warm pub rather than a frozen shack... :(

Wow, great image! :)
What camera did you use? 50mm Lens?

Thank you. Nikon D200, with 'kit' 18-70 lens (and tripod)...

iWeekend

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
First photo pic post. Love the many contributions, thought I'd share mine.

Victoria, BC Canada, day after our first neighbourhood snowfall. iPhone 5. Excuse the dirty window.

Attachments

• IMG_0323-700.JPG
    IMG_0323-700.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 87

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
If someone wants to get me one, or contribute to a fund for one, I will gladly accept. :D

GYS%20Fox%20Christmas%202012-3-XL.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.