Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
UK
It's been a while since I got my last last iMac (2009). back then I only had 200GB or so of data so just copied the data off my 2007 imac and moved it manually.

Now, I'm expecting my 2012 and have nearly 1TB to move. I've cleaned it up as much as I can but I know I have some stuff scattered from apps I've deleted.

What I want to know is how you set your new imac up. Did you restore from Time Machine or Use Migration Assistant? how long do each take?

TeeZee1000

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
It's been a while since I got my last last iMac (2009). back then I only had 200GB or so of data so just copied the data off my 2007 imac and moved it manually.

Now, I'm expecting my 2012 and have nearly 1TB to move. I've cleaned it up as much as I can but I know I have some stuff scattered from apps I've deleted.

What I want to know is how you set your new imac up. Did you restore from Time Machine or Use Migration Assistant? how long do each take?

I decided to start from scratch, I copied all the data files from my 09 27inch and installed all my programs over again. I wanted to do that because I had a lot of programs I didn't use anymore on my old one, so it was easier that way instead of the cleanup.

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I decided to start from scratch, I copied all the data files from my 09 27inch and installed all my programs over again. I wanted to do that because I had a lot of programs I didn't use anymore on my old one, so it was easier that way instead of the cleanup.

That is what I'm thinking of doing. There's just a lot to do, deactivate iTunes, CS5, etc.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles

Would that be the same idea as some folks do with their iPhones when they upgrade? When I got the iPhone 5, I restored from backup of my 4, and I had 15GB of "Other" data, so I set up as a new phone.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing when I upgrade from my Mid-2007 iMac. But is there really any benefit of doing it? Would it really save that much space / performance?

TeeZee1000

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Would that be the same idea as some folks do with their iPhones when they upgrade? When I got the iPhone 5, I restored from backup of my 4, and I had 15GB of "Other" data, so I set up as a new phone.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing when I upgrade from my Mid-2007 iMac. But is there really any benefit of doing it? Would it really save that much space / performance?

not sure about space, but definitely performance plus I wanted to give my fusion drive a fresh start :)

----------

That is what I'm thinking of doing. There's just a lot to do, deactivate iTunes, CS5, etc.

thats true, i started prepping my system for it last week, ex:making sure I had access to all the serial #'s, websites or .dmg install files were accessible from my thunderbolt/firewire connections. I was able to get up and running in a few hours

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA

Same here. Not just for the old apps but my old iMac was Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, all upgrades. So I'm sure there was junk somewhere. Moving data and reinstalling apps seemed like the way to go.

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Did you guys just manually move it or use migration assistant to move the data?

skyenet

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Near Glasgow - Scotland
My plan was to setup my iMac up from scratch but in the end I just used the migration assistant and glad I did. It has just saved so much messing about with Apps, Passwords and registrations. I have a 3Tb Fusion Drive so not really bothered about saving space and my 09 iMac was running fine anyway.

Probably would have been quicker doing a time machine restore, as choosing Migration Assistant over Ethernet was a lot slower than when I restored my Hard drive, which was replaced on my iMac recently.

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
UK
My plan was to setup my iMac up from scratch but in the end I just used the migration assistant and glad I did. It has just saved so much messing about with Apps, Passwords and registrations. I have a 3Tb Fusion Drive so not really bothered about saving space and my 09 iMac was running fine anyway.

Probably would have been quicker doing a time machine restore, as choosing Migration Assistant over Ethernet was a lot slower than when I restored my Hard drive, which was replaced on my iMac recently.

How long did it take?

dryice589

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
I used migration assistant. Only had 340GB to move from my Mini, and it took 7 hours. In retrospect, it probably would have went faster to restore from my external USB 3.0 drive with my time machine backup on it; because it only took about 3 hours to set up a new time machine backup.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
not sure about space, but definitely performance plus I wanted to give my fusion drive a fresh start :)

----------

thats true, i started prepping my system for it last week, ex:making sure I had access to all the serial #'s, websites or .dmg install files were accessible from my thunderbolt/firewire connections. I was able to get up and running in a few hours
I wish it only took me that long, havent even moved my iMac into the room I want it in and had it a few days. I'm on my windows machine now sorting through tons of photos and music. It sucks but going to be all worth it.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
?

To be honest, I'm not sure if I should clean setup my new iMac or restore it from a TM backup of my MBA (which I sold to finance the new iMac lol :D), which ran Lion and then ML. The thing is, there wasn't a lot of junk installed on my MBA. I got it in July this year, it ran Lion for two weeks, before I upgraded it to ML. What do you guys think? Also, if I decide to manually setup my new iMac, could I just copy over my documents, photos, etc., from the TM backup? I wouldn't mind reinstalling my apps, as there weren't many installed and too many license keys to remember.

skyenet

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Near Glasgow - Scotland
To be honest, I'm not sure if I should clean setup my new iMac or restore it from a TM backup of my MBA (which I sold to finance the new iMac lol :D), which ran Lion and then ML. The thing is, there wasn't a lot of junk installed on my MBA. I got it in July this year, it ran Lion for two weeks, before I upgraded it to ML. What do you guys think? Also, if I decide to manually setup my new iMac, could I just copy over my documents, photos, etc., from the TM backup? I wouldn't mind reinstalling my apps, as there weren't many installed and too many license keys to remember.

From what you say, I would definitely choose the Time Machine backup. Migration Assistant took me about 4 hours for about 200GB over Ethernet. It took me a similar time to do a 600GB restore from a time machine backup when I had my hard drive replaced a month ago.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
I used migration assistant from a backup of my rMBP through a USB 3.0 external HD. Couldn't be bothered by spending my entire day installing applications and waiting for things to download. In addition, since I used CCC, all of my data and settings became readily available as if I was on my rMBP. The only issues I experienced was several invalid serial numbers from Adobe CS6 Master Collection, Final Draft 8, Little Snitch, and smaller sized windows. However, I might just install everything from scratch once I receive my replacement 27" iMac (My current one has yellow tints on my middle-lower half of the screen, as well as a "Bo" engraved mark behind the front panel of the display).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.