Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d.rehman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Denmark
Hi MacRumors,

I don't know which one i should buy?

2.9GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
1TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512MB GDDR5
Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Wireless Keyboard (Danish) & User's Guide (Danish)
Accessory Kit

Or

2.9GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
1TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512MB GDDR5
Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Wireless Keyboard (Danish) & User's Guide (Danish)
Accessory Kit

I would like to order it before christmas, and i can't find out which one to buy?

The price difference isn't big, so that is not crusial (1500 DKK / 264$ )

Rehman

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
What size display do you need?

Do you need the better graphics card?

You need it before Christmas - then availability is probably an issue. Do you know where to get the 21" from? As for the 27" you will not get it in time.

joudbren

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
If you have the space, the 27". You will not be disappointed. You can also upgrade the ram in the 27" unlike the 21" which is non-upgradeable.

You said you want to order it before Christmas but you didn't clarify if that means you actually want it for Christmas. I wouldn't let an arbitrary Christmas deadline be a determining factor if the 27" is really the one you want. It's only going to be a short wait after Christmas to get it and then you'll be using it for years. Cheers!

d.rehman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Denmark
If you have the space, the 27". You will not be disappointed. You can also upgrade the ram in the 27" unlike the 21" which is non-upgradeable.

You said you want to order it before Christmas but you didn't clarify if that means you actually want it for Christmas. I wouldn't let an arbitrary Christmas deadline be a determining factor if the 27" is really the one you want. It's only going to be a short wait after Christmas to get it and then you'll be using it for years. Cheers!

I'm a student, and i had the last three generations of iMac (21,5") The 27" has always been my "dream machine" but the the screen is pretty big :rolleyes: - And it is expensive (About 3000$)

The Mac will be used for homework, surf and iPhoto (I have a Sony A77 SLT camera).

A friend of mine can get me a 27" with fusion drive for the same price as a normal 21,5".

Thanks for your quick answers ! :)

Rehman

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
I'm a student, and i had the last three generations of iMac (21,5") The 27" has always been my "dream machine" but the the screen is pretty big :rolleyes: - And it is expensive (About 3000$)

The Mac will be used for homework, surf and iPhoto (I have a Sony A77 SLT camera).

A friend of mine can get me a 27" with fusion drive for the same price as a normal 21,5".

Thanks for your quick answers ! :)

Rehman
You get the 27" with a discount, and the 21" without a discount?

Really if you can wait for it the 27" is a no-brainer.

Sech

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
I had a 21 for about a week and decided to return it. For the cost ($1500) I couldn't justify some of the speed issues I was having and the screen size just wasn't worth it. I just ordered a 27 and suspect I'll be much happier.

d.rehman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Denmark
I had a 21 for about a week and decided to return it. For the cost ($1500) I couldn't justify some of the speed issues I was having and the screen size just wasn't worth it. I just ordered a 27 and suspect I'll be much happier.

I am not sure yet, 27" is a huge screen, i don't know if i need a that big screen.

Rehman

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I had a 24" that did last week and I picked up a 21.5 to replace it. I notice that the height of the screen is better aligned when I'm sitting in front. The old one the top of the screen was a bit high.

This may be an issue for the 27".

LogicPro

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2012

Well - you might be able to pick up the 21" at a store very soon, but the 27" may take till mid-Jan to come in. Just saying.

I say you go with the 27" :)

CaptMike

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2012
This was a hard discussion for me to make also

I finally decided on and order the TOL 21.5 maxed out.

The conclusion was:

The 27" was a bit large for me

The fact that apple boxes you in a corner and makes it impossible to get the base 27" with a i7 was a deal breaker for me.

RichiMac

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2012
SoCal
A few years ago my Dell monitor went out. I had a 26" Samsung hd tv that I wasn't using anymore so I stuck that on instead of buying a new monitor. I still use it. It's great. I never thought I needed that much screen room. So it was a no-brainer for me to order the 27" iMac. I would never go back. I have laptops for that.

Get the 27". You won't be sorry. At least wait until you can see in the Apple store.

d.rehman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Denmark
A few years ago my Dell monitor went out. I had a 26" Samsung hd tv that I wasn't using anymore so I stuck that on instead of buying a new monitor. I still use it. It's great. I never thought I needed that much screen room. So it was a no-brainer for me to order the 27" iMac. I would never go back. I have laptops for that.

Get the 27". You won't be sorry. At least wait until you can see in the Apple store.

I will take a look at the old 27" iMac to see the size in real life and decide it after i have seen it.

Rehman

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
I am not sure yet, 27" is a huge screen, i don't know if i need a that big screen.

Rehman

I feel that if you have the space for it, go with the 27. No matter which size of screen you buy, you will get used to it - for better or worse : )

d.rehman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Denmark
I feel that if you have the space for it, go with the 27. No matter which size of screen you buy, you will get used to it - for better or worse : )

When you open a website for example, the half of the screen is white :eek:

I don't like that, but i will take a look at it later, in my local store.

Rehman

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012

Rehman

it hasn't bugged me so far, but I just got my 27 inch toady. I would think there is solutions for that, like zooming or a different browser? In the long run I would like to have that option as well, but in general I have to say that this amount of screen estate is fantastic for my personal usage.

d.rehman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Denmark
it hasn't bugged me so far, but I just got my 27 inch toady. I would think there is solutions for that, like zooming or a different browser? In the long run I would like to have that option as well, but in general I have to say that this amount of screen estate is fantastic for my personal usage.

And delivery in January:eek: - As i wrote before, i would like to buy it before christmas, it's gonna be a long month if i choose the 27"....

Rehman

medi.freak

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011

Rehman

I never understood people who displayed Apps (like Safari) full screen on a 27" monitor. I always have at least 2 different windows open on such a big monitor. Solves your "half screen is white" problem. ;)

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
And delivery in January:eek: - As i wrote before, i would like to buy it before christmas, it's gonna be a long month if i choose the 27"....

Rehman

I see, you probably have been waiting a long time for this update like most here ; ) Well, if you're not sold on the bigger size anyway and would prefer a 21.5, just go for it - but if what you really wanted was the 27 inch model, I say definitely wait for it, My original delivery estimate was 24-30 Dec. then I switched to expedited, which for one changed my estimate to 21-28 and my computer was actually delivered yesterday on the 17th. I would have gotten it even on the 12th, if the Apple rep hadn't input Overnight shipping, which wasn't really available for international shipments.

What I'm trying to say is "maybe" that is also the case in Denmark? Just something to consider, in case you would go for the 21.5 only because you wanted it sooner.

And for something completely unrelated, why is it that your country makes tons of awesome movies? : )

d.rehman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Denmark
I see, you probably have been waiting a long time for this update like most here ; ) Well, if you're not sold on the bigger size anyway and would prefer a 21.5, just go for it - but if what you really wanted was the 27 inch model, I say definitely wait for it, My original delivery estimate was 24-30 Dec. then I switched to expedited, which for one changed my estimate to 21-28 and my computer was actually delivered yesterday on the 17th. I would have gotten it even on the 12th, if the Apple rep hadn't input Overnight shipping, which wasn't really available for international shipments.

What I'm trying to say is "maybe" that is also the case in Denmark? Just something to consider, in case you would go for the 21.5 only because you wanted it sooner.

And for something completely unrelated, why is it that your country makes tons of awesome movies? : )

If i would like to have it with Fusion Drive, i'll need to wait to January, and i would! :(

So i need to wait no matter which one i choose.

I also need to order it before January to get it in my accounting, but I prefer to order it before christmas.

I couldn't reach it today, so i'll take a look at the 27" tomorrow.

And about the awesome movies:)D), which do you in mind? - I can only mention a few :)

Rehman

d.rehman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Denmark
iMac 21,5" = Delivers — 03 Jan, 2013 - 08 Jan, 2013 by Express Shipping

iMac 27" = Ships — January

Your order will be dispatched when all individual items become available - as one shipment. Consider placing multiple orders for faster deliveries.

:(

Rehman

mapleleafer

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
If these are your needs, and unless you are rich, think about a Mac mini. You can then get as large a monitor as you like and save a lot of money.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
And about the awesome movies:)D), which do you in mind? - I can only mention a few :)

Rehman

The last one I saw was Klown, it's very crude, but I thought it was brilliant : ) Basically I like almost everything with Mads Mikkelsen or Kim Bodnia in it (Flickering Lights, In China they eat dogs, Old Men in New Cars, Adam's Apples, Pusher trilogy, Flame and Citron...), but there are so many more, like In a Better World.

But I didn't mean to hijack your thread, just saw where you were from and got reminded of a movie I had recently seen ; )

----------

Call me rich, i won't by a Mac Mini :rolleyes:

Rehman

I don't think you would even be saving much money with a Mac Mini, depending on which display you choose.

d.rehman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Denmark
The last one I saw was Klown, it's very crude, but I thought it was brilliant : ) Basically I like almost everything with Mads Mikkelsen or Kim Bodnia in it (Flickering Lights, In China they eat dogs, Old Men in New Cars, Adam's Apples, Pusher trilogy, Flame and Citron...), but there are so many more, like In a Better World.

But I didn't mean to hijack your thread, just saw where you were from and got reminded of a movie I had recently seen ; )

----------

I don't think you would even be saving much money with a Mac Mini, depending on which display you choose.

Klovn (Klown) with Casper Christensen and Frank Hvam is one of the best...!! - I am not that old, so i haven't seen the "older" movies, but some of them are very good ! :)

The perfect screenmatch for a Mac Mini, would be an Apple Cinema (Or what they call it)

Rehman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.