Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swimatm

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
This is hilarious. I, for one, hope they keep the trademark and use it instead of selling to Apple. They are the rightful owners, after all.

penguintheft

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2011
California
The phone only came-out now because of a giant reorganization that took place on the company to avoid bankruptcy, so not a money grab, they were once a big brand in Brazil that could compete with Sony and other TV brands.

That doesn't get to the heart of the matter. They don't have to call it an IPHONE just because they CAN. They are clearly trying to get Apple's attention.

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
Apple can just hire mercenaries to rough the company up. This is what makes South America unique. Cartels and mercenaries, oh my!

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
The phone only came-out now because of a giant reorganization that took place on the company to avoid bankruptcy, so not a money grab, they were once a big brand in Brazil that could compete with Sony and other TV brands.

Suprised Apple didn't approach them earlier for a buyout.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
This does more damage to the Android brand than to the iPhone brand. I say Apple should just let this one slide. The product will self-destruct on its own.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
First Samsung and now this Brazillian company?

Apple-vs.-Samsung.jpg

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Interesting. Quite a surprising headline. Had apple never pursued a trademark at all in Brazil? Would think that given this firm's recent bankruptcy issues Apple would have sensed weakness and worked the issue with them to get the rights.

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
That doesn't get to the heart of the matter. They don't have to call it an IPHONE just because they CAN. They are clearly trying to get Apple's attention.

Agreed. It's clearly NOT and iPhone in hardware look or UI... they could have called it anything else.

I'd be surprised if someone confused this for a real Apple branded iPhone. But maybe things are different in Brazil :confused:

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
This is what you get when an American company tries to bring jobs to Brazil's tortured economy. I'd tell the Brazilian government to handle it or I'd pull out every job I was planning on bringing there and dump them in whatever country is closest that isn't full of cheating pricks. Hell, I'd pull the iPhone itself from the country. In the rest of the world we get the iPhone, but in Brazil you get the cheesy piece of crap IPHONE. Congrats, the world thinks you are morons.

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
That's pretty funny. They form a company because they have the IPHONE trademark. They come up with a computer rendering of a phone and pretend like they will sell it. Apple gives them 60 Million for the name. They never had to actually build a phone. They retire.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Android manufacturers copying Apple? Unheard of.

Wow! Because multiple manufacturers make Android :rolleyes:

Buyers will get confused? People tend to look at which device they are buying before they put their money on it.

Agreed. It's not like ANYONE would mistake that ugly husk for an iPhone made by Apple . . . EVER.

I think what they are doing a cheap shot, but hey, everyone's gotta make money some how. When Apple fleeces it's users for a warranty or a memory upgrade it's okay though right folks?

Let's not bring up what Apple charges for adapters and memory upgrades.

Beat me to it.

First Samsung and now this Brazillian company?

Because Apple never copied ANYTHING from ANYONE ever?

We really need to remind people what iOS 1.0 looked like before Apple pulled many a feature from:

Android
Palm OS
Symbian

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

If this is true, fine. The question is, did they manufacture/release any phones from 2000 on and did they also release any new phones during the reorganization period?

And if they were such a big brand that could compete with other big name brands, why wait until now to release a phone with the iPhone name? Perhaps it is what all people here are saying: the company reorganized to decrease debt and remain afloat, they finally released the iPhone they were hoping for when they originally got the trademark back in 2000, AND it's a money grab hoping for a payout to pay off other debt.

After all, there is no problem with them using the iPhone name when they own the trademark for it, but their timing is questionable and suspicious; especially when Apple is ramping up their presence in Brazil.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.