Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chester1066

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Hi there,

Im not very techy so please bare with me. Im writing this from my work computer as my Macbook which I purchased second hand, only 3 months ago, has frozen.

Ill try to explain the best i can.

I was using the internet (btwifi openzone, as waiting for sky to connect me) and the signal was poor, i gave up after a while and turned it off the normal way that I do. Turned it back on an hour later and heard the 'chime', the little swirly thing was going round in the middle of the screen (white at this point), all good - and was then met with a grey patterned screen with a big black square in the middle with white writing in 5 different languages, which read 'you need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button until it turns off, then press the power button again.'...I noticed the the swirly thing was at the bottom of the screen, and had frozen. I've now turned it on and off for the past 24 hours....and nothing, the same image comes up.

Any ideas? Many thanks

----------

Not under warranty as was second hand - it did come with discs though...not exactly sure what they are, but presuming they are the software.
Also, ive never had any problems so far with the mac.

Bailey82

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
That could be a lot of stuff. If you've actually had a hardware failure on the logic board it will do it, but so will a messed up kernel or bad settings on the system.

If you have a spare external bootable drive or media for the unit, try to boot off of that to see if the system comes up. If it comes up off of install media, it tends to make me think either the hard drive is bad or the OS has somehow become corrupt.

If you have neither of these, try booting into safe mode to see if the system comes up.

Good luck

chester1066

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Hi Bailey thank you for your reply.
I did some research and it seems the error message I am getting is a 'kernel panic'. Im reading up on it but its hard for me to make sense of it all.
So you were right I think, when you mentioned the kernel.

Also, and this shows how untechy I am, but I actually have a Macbook Pro! Not a macbook,although my other one is a Macbook (water damaged and unuseable as far as i can tell).

Ive held down the shift key whilst starting up, to get into safemode, which I did successfully - however, when it asked for a password, I requested a 'hint' and it said 'there is no password, press return/Yes key'....which I did...but no luck, it just keeps giving me the hint!!

Any ideas?? I cant get any further with this! thanks

jezzy

Suspended
Jan 12, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Hi Bailey thank you for your reply.
I did some research and it seems the error message I am getting is a 'kernel panic'. Im reading up on it but its hard for me to make sense of it all.
So you were right I think, when you mentioned the kernel.

Also, and this shows how untechy I am, but I actually have a Macbook Pro! Not a macbook,although my other one is a Macbook (water damaged and unuseable as far as i can tell).

Ive held down the shift key whilst starting up, to get into safemode, which I did successfully - however, when it asked for a password, I requested a 'hint' and it said 'there is no password, press return/Yes key'....which I did...but no luck, it just keeps giving me the hint!!

Any ideas?? I cant get any further with this! thanks

book with the system disk, once booted select system utilities and you can change the system password.

I'd try reinstalling the os first, cheapest option.. if its the same result afterwards, then likely a hardware failure. bad sectors on the hd, ram, logic board..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.