Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rockoar

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
The dollar sign always goes first while the euro sign always go after.
$10, 10€. I have yet to see someone placing it first here, although I have seen it misplaced while abroad.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As with language, it could well be that when the format developed (in late medieval Italy) for transcribing financial transactions (double-entry book-keeping, for example), certain conventions were applied which became the norm, or standard, and continued to be used as such, such as, placing the currency symbol in front of the described amount.

This is not used for distance, or speed, because the need to describe these (as a standard) came later than the need to have accurate financial records.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
As with language, it could well be that when the format developed ... for transcribing financial transactions (double-entry book-keeping, for example), ...
This is not used for distance, or speed, because the need to describe these (as a standard) came later than the need to have accurate financial records.

I don't agree. True enough for speed, I concede. But financial transactions would be very concerned about the weight of things. Weights come after the number, recall, traditionally. Also, distance would also be accurately measured for property boundaries, distance to carry freight, etc etc. Recall that the ancient Egyptians were an early inventor of geometry and distance measurements since they had to re-mark farmer's land holdings every time the Nile flooded.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
As with language, it could well be that when the format developed (in late medieval Italy) for transcribing financial transactions (double-entry book-keeping, for example), certain conventions were applied which became the norm, or standard, and continued to be used as such, such as, placing the currency symbol in front of the described amount.

...maybe they just used a separate column in the spreadsheet for the symbol, thus making it possible to be pre-entered on a template ;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I don't agree. True enough for speed, I concede. But financial transactions would be very concerned about the weight of things. Weights come after the number, recall, traditionally. Also, distance would also be accurately measured for property boundaries, distance to carry freight, etc etc. Recall that the ancient Egyptians were an early inventor of geometry and distance measurements since they had to re-mark farmer's land holdings every time the Nile flooded.

While the ancient Egyptians were of course an early inventor of geometry, much of what they knew had been lost (and needed to be rediscovered) by the time of the Renaissance.

While their science and observations were astonishing (given the instruments at their disposal), their way of noting measurements, calculations and the manner in which numeracy was expressed is not what has given rise to the way we write currencies today.

...maybe they just used a separate column in the spreadsheet for the symbol, thus making it possible to be pre-entered on a template ;)

....with quill pens, painstakingly transcribed by hand, trying to keep inky fingers clean......(I'm talking about Italian banking houses in the Renaissance period, from where modern practices of accountancy and financial notation derive).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Only "lost" from the European perspective. Much of knowledge "rediscovered" during the Renaissance was transferred from the Islamic world's scientists.

Oh, yes that is absolutely true, I know this perfectly well (in an earlier life, I used to teach Renaissance history), and I am writing from a European perspective, as European modes are what came to have such an influence on all of our lives.

However, the fact that this knowledge was exceptionally well known in parts of the Arab world did not mean that Europeans knew it until they 'rediscovered' it and allowed that such knowledge was worth incorporating into their own world view (which also meant loosening the stranglehold of the Catholic Church on education, literacy, and challenging what was allowed to be studied & defined as knowledge).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.