Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iThomas159

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
Hi everyone,
today my new iMac 27" (i5, 3.2 GHz, GTX 680) arrived, but it makes a really loud and high frequency noise.

Has someone else noticed the same problems?

Thanks in advance!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi everyone,
today my new iMac 27" (i5, 3.2 GHz, GTX 680) arrived, but it makes a really loud and high frequency noise.

Thanks in advance!

Open Photobooth and it's gone???
Try it.
Or it only happens when the iMac is idle, not if it's working really hard?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Does it change when you vary your brightness? I experienced some high-pitch noise (capacitor whine?) with earlier iMacs, when below maximal brightness.

wood.matt

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
I have spent about a week with my 27" and have noticed a ton of noise. I have the whine and a lot of clicking and grinding from the HDD. Last night when I tapped the chin on the left hand side the noise stopped for a bit then started right back up. I came into work today and checked the forums and it seems that everyone is saying they are quiet as a mouse so I called apple support to see what can be done. They need to see what "processes" are running on mine before they do anything further. So I will have to wait to go home and call back in a few hours. :(

iThomas159

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
The noise only appears in idle.
When the cpu is under full loud, the noise is gone.
PhotoBooth solves this Problem, because it uses the cpu.

I think we should call Apple to figure out, what they can do!

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Good thing years of loud music have destroyed my upper range of hearing. I don't hear anything from mine.

oaks42

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Has this got to do with i5 CPU? Seems to me so far two of them registering the noise are with i5 CPUs while those saying its quiet as a mice came from i7s. :confused:

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
Has this got to do with i5 CPU? Seems to me so far two of them registering the noise are with i5 CPUs while those saying its quiet as a mice came from i7s. :confused:

Mine is super quiet and it's an i5. 3.2GHz, not the base one.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Am interested in the cause; my MacBook Pro makes a quiet high frequency sound which varies with processor activity.
I don't say much about it lest someone retort "wait, you can _hear_ your computer thinking? WTH?"

dryice589

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012

I have the i5 as well, and it is very very quiet. My Mac Mini was much louder overall.

iThomas159

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
So I just called Apple Support.

They will pick up my iMac for repair!

So this noise is definitely a Problem!

I would suggest that, everybody who has the same Problem should call the Apple Support, too!

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
Same i got, and I have the problem. Hmm

675 video card? 1TB Fusion? Those are the options I have (basically the $1999 iMac with 1TB Fusion option, nothing else).

I have to check the brand of HDD I got to see if that makes a difference.

Shane1905

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012
UK
I've been reading this a few times now in other threads, it seems to be the CPU entering a low power state known as C3, if this were a windooze box you could disable this in the bios, I'm not sure how this could be done on a mac though as I'm still waiting for my first ever OSX beast to change from processing :(

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
So I just called Apple Support.

They will pick up my iMac for repair!

So this noise is definitely a Problem!

I would suggest that, everybody who has the same Problem should call the Apple Support, too!

Whew, glad to hear this isn't just "normal operating specs." I can still hear the whine of my MDD PowerMac G4, and I sold that noisy beast years ago. :eek:

Westacular

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
I've been reading this a few times now in other threads, it seems to be the CPU entering a low power state known as C3, if this were a windooze box you could disable this in the bios, I'm not sure how this could be done on a mac though as I'm still waiting for my first ever OSX beast to change from processing :(

The more important thing is your should neither need nor want to disable any of the low power states.

The cause of these sounds is known as coil whine. What's happening, roughly speaking, is that when the CPU enters a certain low-power state, the voltage to the CPU is reduced. Supplying this reduced voltage happens to cause an inductor somewhere on the motherboard (probably in the voltage regulator) to start vibrating at its resonant frequency, with the vibrations creating the whining sound. The inductor shouldn't do this, but minor defects can allow this to happen.

If your iMac is producing this high-pitch whine and it's loud enough to bother you, there's not much you can do to truly fix it short of replacing the motherboard -- you should just get the machine replaced by Apple under warranty.

iThomas159

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
I got a temporarily Fix

As the problem comes from the power saving of the CPU, the fix is just to prevent the cpu to go in the power saving mode!

To do so, just put this line into the Terminal and the noise is gone.

sudo nvram boot-args="idlehalt=0"

The Problem is, that this works just in OSX, if you use bootcamp the problem will still be there.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I got a temporarily Fix

As the problem comes from the power saving of the CPU, the fix is just to prevent the cpu to go in the power saving mode!

The Problem is, that this works just in OSX, if you use bootcamp the problem will still be there.

That sounds about right. I'm not sure if you have to manually type that (or create a startup adjustment) to have it run on reboot or not.

I'm surprised that Apple didn't catch this and work with Intel to fix it. I'm so sick to deal of the C3 idle state noises - this issue has gone on for YEARS with Intel's CPUs.

Juste

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
I got a temporarily Fix

Great, it actually seems like it did the trick for me after a reboot!

Can you explain what the command does? and is there another commend to return to original state to check if this is the temp. fix?

iThomas159

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
This Command is a Kernel Flag.
Normaly you can enable the power saving again by resetting the NVRAM.
Or you set idlehalt=1 .

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
i suspect that kernel flag is going to always run your cpu at max frequency rather than at lower p-states when idling.. probably not something i'd want for an all in one or laptop... would consider it a temporary fix until i got apple to do something about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.