Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
C

champ01

Hi guys,

I'm going to say a few things which I can't proof to you so don't believe but try to find more information yourself to see if its true of false.

Ok here goes... I've spoken to a few people from Apple (can't of course say their names) This is what they told me:

- Apple doesn't care about the "PRO" user anymore because that market compared to the consumer market in minimal.

- Apple is killing the Mac Pro

- Pro applications will get made but Apple isn't going to give it all they got.
Do not invest heavily untill you're certain Apple isn't ......ing you over.

- MBP, iMac etc. all designed so you can't repair nor upgrade it.
This is a big FU to not only "PRO" users but everyone using a Apple product!

More was said but it became obvious Apple isn't Apple anymore. Its all about making as much money as possible. Great products come second.

Now I know some of you won't believe me and I don't want you too.
Go try (if you able too) to talk with people within Apple to check if I'm right.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Hi guys,

I'm going to say a few things which I can't proof to you so don't believe but try to find more information yourself to see if its true of false.

Ok here goes... I've spoken to a few people from Apple (can't of course say their names) This is what they told me:

- Apple doesn't care about the "PRO" user anymore because that market compared to the consumer market in minimal.

More was said but it became obvious Apple isn't Apple anymore. Its all about making as much money as possible. Great products come second.

Go try (if you able too) to talk with people within Apple to check if I'm right.

No - I had an issue with a Mac Pro lately, 6 replacements and an email to Tim Cook landed me with Executive Relations. I thought I'd ask the question and they can't say. Nobody will tell you. Stop lying.

Last edited:
C

champ01

no news here. many posts have said this in one form or another.

I know but thought mentioning it again wouldn't hurt the forum right?

If I can save someone or a company from a bad choice in spending money the wrong way I will. I sell Apple but I never signed an NDA so I can speak openly about what I hear or see. :)

----------

Sounds like your Apple source is a (retail?) employee with no inside knowledge giving opinions based on rumors from forums and blogs.

Regarding Mac Pro:
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/1...c-pro-and-imac-designs-likely-coming-in-2013/

Regarding Pro apps:
http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/11/27/about-the-rumor-that-apple-decimated-its-pro-audio-team/

I'm on top of those rumours, mails etc. It gives about zero real information.
One year maybe 6 months ago I would agree with you but after waiting so long and only receiving negative information I can't no longer ignore it and say everything is going to be all right.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Everyone knows an Apple Retail worker. You do not have inside info.

I'm sure Apple is killing Pro apps. That purchase of Redmatica assets was strictly for Garageband right?

Tim Cook was lying when he said they have something coming in 2013.

Final Cut Pro X has had 7 updates since its launch. It's just languishing.

The iMac has never been designed nor marketed for Pro users. You shouldn't even call yourself a Pro if you're looking at the 21.5 inch iMac and have the audacity to complain about upgradability. It's always been a consumer Mac.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
I know but thought mentioning it again wouldn't hurt the forum right?

If I can save someone or a company from a bad choice in spending money the wrong way I will. I sell Apple but I never signed an NDA so I can speak openly about what I hear or see. :)

----------

ONE maybe 6 months ago I would agree with you but after waiting so long and only receiving negative information I can't no longer ignore it and see everything is going to be all right.

You're aware Tim Cook has already said it's coming in 2013 right?

C

champ01

You're aware Tim Cook has already said it's coming in 2013 right?

Tim Cook has said (if the email is real)

"Our pro customers are really important to us...don't worry as we're working on something really great for later next year."

Does it say Mac Pro?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
One year maybe 6 months ago I would agree with you but after waiting so long and only receiving negative information I can't no longer ignore it and say everything is going to be all right.

Zero real information? A quote for the CEO is pretty real information. Not sure why you would expect to see something before 2013 when he said it would be released in 2013.

As far as the Pro apps, I provided a respected source that the Logic Pro team was not being cut. We also can look at the fact that Apple just went through the trouble of shifting Final Cut to a whole new platform. You don't do that when you don't care about a market.

On the other hand, you posted information from an unknown source without any inside information.

----------

"Our pro customers are really important to us...don't worry as we're working on something really great for later next year."

Does it say Mac Pro?

"Apple PR has reached out and clarified that only the Mac Pro is expected to be next updated in 2013."

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK

Does it say Mac Pro?

Does it say it's being scrapped? Does it say that something great is coming for Pro Customers? You can at very least deduce that Apple is still catering for the Pro market. :rolleyes:

Apple PR confirming the update to the Mac Pro in 2013 shows it's not being scrapped.

C

champ01

Everyone knows an Apple Retail worker. You do not have inside info.

Did I told where I got my info from? No so why did you come with that conclusion?

I'm sure Apple is killing Pro apps. That purchase of Redmatica assets was strictly for Garageband right?

Did you even read what I wrote. Read before you comment.

Tim Cook was lying when he said they have something coming in 2013.

Great for him doesn't automatically mean great for pro's now does it.

Final Cut Pro X has had 7 updates since its launch. It's just languishing.

Why did we get all those updates? Because FCPX was a mayor joke at the release. All the important features were missing and thats the reason why there are so many updates.

The iMac has never been designed nor marketed for Pro users. You shouldn't even call yourself a Pro if you're looking at the 21.5 inch iMac and have the audacity to complain about upgradability. It's always been a consumer Mac.

Why? Because it doesn't have the name pro in it? So all those studios I've been to are what? Wannabes?
If you're not a pro then don't comment in the topic. (because you're most likely not investing that much money)

Like I posted in the begin. I can't show proof so don't take my word for it. Go do your own research and by that I don't mean hanging around on a rumor site all day long.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

champ01

Does it say it's being scrapped? Does it say that something great is coming for Pro Customers? You can at very least deduce that Apple is still catering for the Pro market. :rolleyes:

Apple PR confirming the update to the Mac Pro in 2013 shows it's not being scrapped.

Be fair to yourself. You pointed out an email that has nothing Mac Pro in it. The rest is an opinion by Cook. I care less for opinions.

If someone tell you "I got just the thing you're looking for." What do you think he is doing? ;)

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Did I told where I got my info from? No so why did you come with that conclusion?

Seems like a pretty good assumption based on the quality of the info that you presented. Anything verifiable from reputable sources was simply wrong.

Was his conclusion wrong?

C

champ01

Seems like a pretty good assumption based on the quality of the info that you presented. Anything verifiable from reputable sources was simply wrong.

Was his conclusion wrong?

Like I said. I can't give information on that so do your own research.
By saying more I would maybe expose my sources. That doesn't help anybody.

So yes what I said is just a rumor until proven. And I can't proof it so the only way to know the truth for you is again doing your own research. Sorry.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Like I said. I can't give information on that so do your own research.
By saying more I would maybe expose my sources. That doesn't help anybody.

So yes what I said is just a rumor until proven. And I can't proof it so the only way to know the truth for you is again doing your own research. Sorry.

I've been in sales for two decades. I'm not getting the feeling that you have a lot of sales experience because you don't seem very persuasive.

Conventional Wisdom states that Apple continues to invest in technology suited to more creative work. Things like AV Foundation and building up their technology with acquisitions like Redmatica. Not only have they recently acquired Redmatica assets for audio but it appears they've snatched up some key patent technology from Color

http://www.fiercemobilecontent.com/...le-founder-nguyen-targeted-lawsuit/2012-11-20

Color Labs maintained a patent for recording HD video as well as pending patents related to mobile social networking, GPS location and battery conservation.

Therefore, it's more likely that they have not abandoned the Pro market but have merely recognized that mobile is where the lion's share of the profit/revenue is coming from and this is an area of fierce competition.

Pro's are doing just fine.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Needs Citation.

Every other reasonable piece of evidence indicates a Mac Pro update next year.

iAmRod

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2006
Hi guys,

Seriously, though, what is the point of this post? There have been sooo many others already on here. You don't bring anything new to the discussion by dropping these ideas and telling us to "go do your own research". Pointless!

But thanks for being interested!

Last edited by a moderator:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

Thanks for the effort I guess.

However, I hope not too many people make important decisions about their company's future based on random guys they don't know making posts on Internet forums with no evidence other than "I heard from a guy".

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Thanks for the effort I guess.

However, I hope not too many people make important decisions about their company's future based on random guys they don't know making posts on Internet forums with no evidence other than "I heard from a guy".

If "I heard from a guy" counts, then I have "heard from a guy" that Apple is working on new pro desktop hardware.

So there. Now we're all evened up for "heard from a guy." Now we just need one more "heard from a guy" for the tie breaker!

ForceGhost

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
Bournemouth, UK
Apple has bought into their own eco system as one of the main ways of generating revenue.

over 70% of App Developers are using Mac Pro's to emulate hardware conditions.

They want to keep their main content producers producing content so the Mac Pro won't be dying out any time soon in my opinion, if anything i can see a withdraw in the iMac.

tomvos

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
In the Nexus.
… but try to find more information yourself to see if its true of false.

Well, watching Apple’s moves in the last few years compared to the last two decades makes me wonder.

Some years ago Apple bought lots of professional software. Think of Final Cut / Shake / Color / Logic etc. The reason was once told by Ron Brinkmann in a fxguide podcast (http://old.fxguide.com/fxpodcasts/Conversation_with_Ron_Brinkmann/). Basically he said that during the transition from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X there was the fear that the big software companies would abandon Mac OS X and focus only on Windows because the Mac OS X market is too small.

Well, we know Mac OS X didn't take this route, instead Mac OS X flourished, and Apple didn't really need their own Pro Applications. As long as Apple was making their money from the hardware they didn't bother much who did the software - as long as there was enough choice for the customer.

You might want to read Ron Brinkmann comment on FCPX here. I think, it is important to notice how he describes the way, Apple decides on new features and products.

»And the features that high end customers need are often very very unsexy.
They don’t look particularly good in a demo.«​

I think, this is Apple's weak spot. Substance is less important than bling bling.

It's not only in the professional video area that shows Apples lack of substance. There are lot's of other issues.

• Aging HFS+ file system.
  • Lack of decent OpenGL 3.x / 4.x support
  • Lackluster support of OpenCL (which Apple introduced)
  • Mac OS X Server is a joke for most areas where you use a server OS.
  • The Finder still fu... up in a semi-sporadic fashion while connecting network shares.
I bet, you have your own griefs to add to this list.

So finally, after looking at the software side we can wait for the other shoe to drop - i.e. the hardware side. I think the same signs we have seen on the software side can be observed on the hardware side.

Just think of:
  • Trying to sell a Mac Mini as server hardware (ridiculous).
  • Killing perfectly well working interfaces (Firewire) without a reasonable transition plan.
  • The joke of a RAID Controller Apple is selling or the 2012 Mac Pro update.
  • 10bit per Channel Output anyone? Hell, my SGI Octane is able to output RGBA 48 bit and this is ten year old hardware.

So my guess is, Apple will not really care much about the tiny Pro Hardware segment requirements. It's about money and they want to sell their new Pro Hardware to as many consumers as possible. So most likely we will see something which falls into the Prosumer category. Good enough, but with enough gotchas to make it fail in the professional world.

But who cares? As long as there are enough fanboys who buy every Apple product, no matter how ridiculous it is, the new Mac Pro successor product will be a stellar success. And even if it fails, who cares about a failure in a tiny segment of Apple's finacial revenue? Apple will declare the pro segment as dead and everybody will be amazed by Apple's insight into the market.

Because how could you be wrong when your're making a sh... load of money? :cool:

Last edited:

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
[*]Lack of decent OpenGL 3.x / 4.x support
[*]Lackluster support of OpenCL (which Apple introduced)
[*]Mac OS X Server is a joke for most areas where you use a server OS.
[*]The Finder still fu... up in a semi-sporadic fashion while connecting network shares.
[/LIST]

We've got OpenGL 3.x support now. And Mac OS X Server is getting better, but arguably since the death of XServe, I'm not sure of many serious people that would use it for serious server work anyway.

OS X Server has gained back some nice features for Mac client management regardless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.