Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Isn't it with everything related to consumer goods.

I guess what I meant was, do they actually plan on manufacturing and selling these phones? Do they actually plan on their being a market for this?

Or are they making the big announcement and saying "hey, we own this trademark, here's what we're going to do with it!" loudly enough that they hope Apple will quickly settle something.

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
This is what you get when an American company tries to bring jobs to Brazil's tortured economy. I'd tell the Brazilian government to handle it or I'd pull out every job I was planning on bringing there and dump them in whatever country is closest that isn't full of cheating pricks. Hell, I'd pull the iPhone itself from the country. In the rest of the world we get the iPhone, but in Brazil you get the cheesy piece of crap IPHONE. Congrats, the world thinks you are morons.

It's probably glaringly obvious to most, but this attitude right here is why most people in the world don't like Americans. I'd even go as far to say in most other nations minds, it's not Brazil who are morons.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
You've likely never tried it.
I have, was on a HTC One XL at my University (We were testing Android's security, that was a laugh!). It was pathetic, got absolutely NOTHING on iOS. The Android user experience is one of the worst 'computing' platforms I've ever seen, how the consumer can use it - let alone like it - is well beyond me.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Buyers will get confused? People tend to look at which device they are buying before they put their money on it.

Many customers view the name as generic, a la "kleenex" or "xerox" or "scotch tape"; "iPhone" to them is just another term for "smartphone". I've known people who talk about "iPads" when the subject is a cheap incompatible tablet. There _is_ confusion, and Apple must defend the trademarks - and some nuts are keen on taking risks to leverage that defense into cash for their own pockets.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I have, was on a HTC One XL at my University (We were testing Android's security, that was a laugh!). It was pathetic, got absolutely NOTHING on iOS. The Android user experience is one of the worst 'computing' platforms I've ever seen, how the consumer can use it - let alone like it - is well beyond me.

The fact that it's beyond you is the most telling statement. Because clearly your opinion reigns supreme over millions of others that are seemingly using/enjoying it just fine. lol

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
This is what you get when an American company tries to bring jobs to Brazil's tortured economy. I'd tell the Brazilian government to handle it or I'd pull out every job I was planning on bringing there and dump them in whatever country is closest that isn't full of cheating pricks. Hell, I'd pull the iPhone itself from the country. In the rest of the world we get the iPhone, but in Brazil you get the cheesy piece of crap IPHONE. Congrats, the world thinks you are morons.

Although I partially agree with the sentiment, I doubt Apple would even consider this when they have already invested so much money. What I would do instead is continue with the plans, but don't actually call it an iPhone once it is finished. Instead, I would ship it to another country for the final touches and engraving, and then sell them from there; maybe Guatemala or something. That way, brazilians might also get a price cut on the price of the phone, and Apple wouldn't be breaking any laws(that I know of).

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
This is what you get when an American company tries to bring jobs to Brazil's tortured economy.

Hahahahaha, someone is naive enough to think that Apple is introducing the iPhone there purely for altruistic reasons and not (as every other major company in the entire world does) because it's a new and expanding market that's prime profit opportunity.

:rolleyes:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
The phone only came-out now because of a giant reorganization that took place on the company to avoid bankruptcy, so not a money grab, they were once a big brand in Brazil that could compete with Sony and other TV brands.

Try to tell these guys that.
Why did you two offer support for the people you are arguing against? Most kind of you, though.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
That IPHONE looks like one low end POS.

Gingerbread? Capacitive buttons? IPHONE?

In no way, shape or form will this be good for confused Brazilian consumers.

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
That was my point, no one did.

That was my point, no one did.

I never mentioned anything about this. You're digging deep for a flame bait troll fight as you usually do. I don't know what weird fetish you have for picking online forum fights, but you do it often and it really needs to stop.

Can we NOT derail the thread just yet? :rolleyes:

almost seems like he is getting paid

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

It's probably glaringly obvious to most, but this attitude right here is why most people in the world don't like Americans. I'd even go as far to say in most other nations minds, it's not Brazil who are morons.
I thought Foxconn was Chinese?

Surely you people aren't talking about a couple dozen people working at retail stores.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
It will be an interesting to see what happens.

Brazilian gov't fought hard to get manufacturing jobs and keeping Apple happy is a part of that. So, Apple does have leverage to get that company to transfer the rights.

The fact that they didn't use the trademark until now will only weaken their defense against this.

Apple has a LARGE amount of leverage in Brazil. Probably won't end all that quickly. Apple Legal can get in some nice beach time. ;)

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Yeah? What was so bad about it?
I had about 10 minutes of use with the device.

Let's start with the responsiveness and consistency of the UI. I would have got more response out of poking a potato. The whole home screen is, to me, a nightmare, it's not clear what you can actually do with it. App launcher made sense. What's the point on asking me what app to launch if there's only one app listed?

About the Apps... yeah, they were poor. Stock apps were okay (obviously designed for the device), but the rest through the Marketplace... meh. Comparing an App running side by side with my iPhone 4 (at the time), the iPhone 4 was running it faster (lower load times, seemingly higher frame rate)

The whole point of the exercise: security. Put it this way, an iPhone 4 with an 8 char passcode is pretty much unhackable. Same passcode on Android, plugged into a basic Intel Core i5 desktop PC, took about 38 minutes to break it. Face unlock, we were able to use a Facebook picture to get past it.

Android is a pathetic, unoptimised, insecure mess. I stand by my previous comment, iOS is significantly better than Android at just about everything. (Except the USB drive functionality, you can have that one).

At the end of that particular lab, fellow students opinion on Android were quickly changed. As of my last lab, nobody had an Android device, they'd swapped them for Win8 devices, iPhone 4S/5's and even a BlackBerry.

Did I answer your question?

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
You've likely never tried it.

A money grab? If they had the name since 2000 how can it really be a money grab?

Because they never did anything with it for 12 years... suddenly, now that Apple is moving to have more of a presence in Brazil, they're doing something with it. It's like they're trying to grab... for... money... lol

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Perfectly. Thanks.
I wish I had only spent five. In fact, none at all. Just justified my stance on that "OS".

The hardware was quite poor too, screen was nice, but again, nothing that the iPhone 4 or the WinPhone devices couldn't have beaten.

----------

LOL

You did that all in 10 minutes AND you believe your assessment is a thorough one?

FUNNY guy.
At any point did I say my assessment was thorough? Nope. I was asked if I had used an Android device, I answered. It's ****. End of my input.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
This is hilarious. I, for one, hope they keep the trademark and use it instead of selling to Apple. They are the rightful owners, after all.

I love hypocrites like yourself.

If Apple is getting screwed over, it's justice. But when an Apple competitor comes along blatantly trying to get money, It's "how dare Apple bully a poor small company like this"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.