Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
...Yeah, so? It still looks dull. There's nothing there, a skinny clock and a few icons, wow, really vibrant and exciting! ;) Wasted pixels.

Wait wait wait wait . . . . . you think that looks dull? Over this:

ios_scaling_taller_screen.jpeg

Which I might add you can't do much to change other than add a noisy wallpaper that will be covered up by an endless grid of icons.

I am starting to think you just have a bone to pick for some odd reason. It's not like Apple isn't making the most money in the smartphone market. They control the hype, and command a following that the rest only dream of. They may not have the best phone, but it certainly doesn't warrant foundation-less bashing.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Wait wait wait wait . . . . . you think that looks dull? Over this:
View attachment 384435
Which I might add you can't do much to change other than add a noisy wallpaper that will be covered up by an endless grid of icons.

I am starting to think you just have a bone to pick for some odd reason. It's not like Apple isn't making the most money in the smartphone market. They control the hype, and command a following that the rest only dream of. They may not have the best phone, but it certainly doesn't warrant foundation-less bashing.
Yeah, it looks 100x better. There's no wasted pixels, they're being used with something useful.

My opinions are mine only, I don't care if you do/don't like them. I've used an Android device, not for long, but those 10 minutes were enough to make me detest Android, on a so-called "Premium" device.

Just on a side note, how about you show the default layout, instead of a cherry-picked one that doesn't look as awesome as you know it can be. :D EDIT: Like the post by the smart guy below:

----------

And this is "more" exciting?

Ahh, excellent. Yup, that's a perfect example of how much better it is. Look, NO WASTED PIXELS! :cool: It's colourful, vibrant, organised!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Yeah, it looks 100x better. There's no wasted pixels, they're being used with something useful.

Just on a side note, how about you show the default layout, instead of a cherry-picked one that doesn't look as awesome as you know it can be. :D

Wasted pixels? That's user choice - you can put whatever you want on your screen. Widgets, shortcuts and/or rows of icons.

If this is what you're going to hold on to - that's pretty sad.

F1 Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2012
Germany
If South Africa wants to build a factory in Poland and in turn Polish business try to rip off their intellectual property...

Thing is though, if the Polish business in question has owned the intellectual property (in Poland) for approximately 7 years before anyone in South Africa started making money from it (Globally except Poland), they are entitled to protect or sell that property (in Poland) as they wish.

Granted, in this case, they are trying to get the greatest possible benefit out of their intellectual property through a strategy which takes them pretty close to edge of what is legal / moral but... that's capitalism!

*Goes off to think about what Apple might create in 5-10 years time and what they might call it...*

iCar? iOven? iToilet?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Just on a side note, how about you show the default layout, instead of a cherry-picked one that doesn't look as awesome as you know it can be. :D

I would but what's really the point. You'd say it's boring no matter how awesome it really looked.

iOS as it stand in ver 6 looks like Android 2.3.4. Android 4.1 was a Godsend and really makes iOS 6 look like Palm v5.1.

Tigger92

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
North Carolina
Well, that's the thing... If someone actually does like it and prefer it, who the **** are we to tell them otherwise... geez, let's get over ourselves, these are just "phones"...

I agree...While I have used Android (Galaxy SIII) and was quite disappointed in it, some people prefer it for a variety of reasons. None of which has an effect on me. :)

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
I don't think anybody will have problems spotting the difference, just look at the price tag. iPhone expensive as <insert curse here> android dirt cheap.

Nowadays everybody has an android, hell even my mom has one and she only uses it to make calls / send texts and the darn thing still gets so slow that needs a factory reset every 6 months.

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
I say Apple should let them have the IPHONE name. Apple can just call their phone the "aPhone" in Brazil. Haha! I can just imagine the hilarious conversations that this would inspire!

Joe: Whoa... now that's a Phone!
Jim: Yep!
Joe: What is it?
Jim: aPhone!
Joe: Well duh! I know it's a phone, but what kind is it?
Jim: It's aPhone!
Joe: Gah! That's all the last guy would tell me!...

Psychiatrist Bob exiting the Apple store: I have aPhone!!!!

Joe: Sigh... I hate my stupid IPHONE... I wish people would just tell me what kind of phone they have. Psychiatrist Bob, is that, or is that not a phone??? And if it is a phone what kind is it?????
Psychiatrist Bob: Yes!!! I'm so happy you noticed! It's the 64 GB, black :)

Later...

Psychiatrist Bob: Be nice to him nurse... Joe seems like a good guy except for his weird obsession with the aPhone. I think a few days here at the Happy Healthy Head Home will help him immensely! Take him into the atrium and let him join the others watching Abbot and Costello.
Nurse: Yes! That will do him good! “Who’s on first?” is just about to start! :D

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
I would but what's really the point. You'd say it's boring no matter how awesome it really looked.

iOS as it stand in ver 6 looks like Android 2.3.4. Android 4.1 was a Godsend and really makes iOS 6 look like Palm v5.1.
Show me an awesome screenshot, displaying all the amazing content, and I'll judge it. You're presenting me with (what you're admitting is) a substandard image, what were you expecting?

iOS is consistant. All these radical changes in appearance is just Google bending to avoid potential harm from Apple. It's a shame the manufacturers just don't seem to get it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I don't think anybody will have problems spotting the difference, just look at the price tag. iPhone expensive as <insert curse here> android dirt cheap.

Nowadays everybody has an android, hell even my mom has one and she only uses it to make calls / send texts and the darn thing still gets so slow that needs a factory reset every 6 months.

How much is an iPhone? How much is a Galaxy III? an HTC One X+, etc.

And every phone I've ever owned has had lock ups or has had to be rebooted. My 4 iPhones included. And also factory reset. And had slow downs.

No tech is failproof.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Here are two random images I just pulled for android screens. Wasted pixels? What?

Image and Image
First one just looks cramped! That all fits on a 4 inch screen? Yikes, better get some sandpaper.

Second one looks a lot better than the first. Nice amount of breathing space between the icons, sorting features are a nice touch.

"Screenshot saved to Camera shots" - Does that come up every time you take a screenshot? Must be a bug! :eek: (Or a really crap "feature", I hear Android has a lot of "features" iOS doesn't have...)

----------

How much is an iPhone? How much is a Galaxy III? an HTC One X+, etc.

And every phone I've ever owned has had lock ups or has had to be rebooted. My 4 iPhones included. And also factory reset. And had slow downs.

No tech is failproof.
Very true, no tech is. But, the GS3 isn't that much less than an iPhone. Not sure how much a One X+ is.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
So, this is just a blatant money grab, right?

Well they did register it in 2000 and if you had ownership of the name wouldn't you want the maximum you could get especially from a company cashed up to the itune of over a million grand? We keep hearing that Apple is not a charity, and it isn't; no need to treat it as one. It's not personal, it's business.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
First one just looks cramped! That all fits on a 4 inch screen? Yikes, better get some sandpaper.

Second one looks a lot better than the first. Nice amount of breathing space between the icons, sorting features are a nice touch.

"Screenshot saved to Camera shots" - Does that come up every time you take a screenshot? Must be a bug! :eek:

I have no idea - I didn't create the images.

You're just being funny now anyway.

I love my iPhone. But I also love my Skyrocket. On my skyrocket home screen (the first/main one) I have immediate access to weather,stocks I am following, a search bar, and a few of the apps I use daily. It's great. I don't have to go in and out of apps - some information is right at my fingertips without having to do a thing. For me - and my use case - this is great. You might have a different use case.

My discussion with you revolves around the fact that while you are entitled to your opinion - it's just that - your opinion. Just like mine is mine. And everyone's use case is different. I don't belittle iPhone/iOS users (I am one with many devices) nor do I belittle Android users (I happen to have one Android device). They are both excellent platforms and both offer a lot. They both have their shortcomings as well.

I would never say one or the other was crap. That's just throwing out the baby with the bathwater. It's also hyperbole. You know it. I know it. But it certainly makes for great posting bait, doesn't it?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Why is a homescreen with apps supposed to be "exciting"? The whole damn purpose of a homescreen is to select the app I want as fast as possible. Heck, I rarely see the homescreen because I spend all the time in the app.

Sort of my point. Someone was saying that the app screen was boring. As if it's supposed to be exciting. Or more exciting. More exciting than what? LOL

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England
Random Nexus 4 screen

homescreen.jpg

Random Nexus 7 screen

00-nexus-7-home-screen.jpg

Random Nexus 10 screen

screenshot2012111818024.png

Android icons scale with screen size, using additional space to provide contextual information.

N.B. One is free to arrange their icons and widgets however they please and not forced to adhere to a draconian grid layout.

-------------------------

iPhone 5 layout - (6 x 4 icons)

iPhone5_Home_Screen_640x1136.jpg

iPad 4 layout (6 x 4 icons)

c4a1261752.png

iPad 4 has 660% as much screen space as iPhone 5 and shows exactly the same amount of information.

N.B. There is one uniform grid pattern from which one is not permitted to diverge.

...Yeah, so? It still looks dull. There's nothing there, a skinny clock and a few icons, wow, really vibrant and exciting! ;) Wasted pixels.

Talk to me about those wasted pixels again. :rolleyes:

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Very true, no tech is. But, the GS3 isn't that much less than an iPhone. Not sure how much a One X+ is.

I'll never understand these arguments about the iPhone being overpriced. The iPhone 5 sells at the same price-point as other flagship smartphones on the market. There are some tradeoffs of course (bigger screen vs. faster processor vs. aluminum body vs. plastic, etc.), and bargain-bin pricing does seem to hit the Android phones fairly soon, but these are retailer moves and not MSRP.

The iPhone 4S sells at the same price-point as other mid-range smartphones on the market.

And the iPhone 4 "sells" (free) at the same price-point as other low-end smartphones on the market.

This is in the U.S. - other countries vary of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.