Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lloyd709

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
Needs Citation.

Every other reasonable piece of evidence indicates a Mac Pro update next year.

When all the Final Cut Studio users were crying out for an update Steve Jobs said 'you won't be disappointed'. Look what Apple turned out. Now, I'm looking forward to seeing all the Mac Pro 'professionals' on this forum crying when they get their probable piece of sh@£$t next year! What are the odds they call it iPro!!!

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Like I said. I can't give information on that so do your own research.
By saying more I would maybe expose my sources. That doesn't help anybody.

So yes what I said is just a rumor until proven. And I can't proof it so the only way to know the truth for you is again doing your own research. Sorry.

*prove it*

*I can't prove it.*

*The burden of proof.*

That's the second time, so I thought that I would help you out. Are you from South Africa? That's how Afrikaans people speak.

Anyway, you have posted some great stories, which show that you have a vivid imagination. Thank you for sharing this amazing information with us.

----------

Thanks for the effort I guess.

However, I hope not too many people make important decisions about their company's future based on random guys they don't know making posts on Internet forums with no evidence other than "I heard from a guy".

That's still amateur stuff. Real professionals start with "A guy at the pub told me..".

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
  • Aging HFS+ file system.
  • Lack of decent OpenGL 3.x / 4.x support
  • Lackluster support of OpenCL (which Apple introduced)
  • Mac OS X Server is a joke for most areas where you use a server OS.
  • The Finder still fu... up in a semi-sporadic fashion while connecting network shares.
I bet, you have your own griefs to add to this list.

So finally, after looking at the software side we can wait for the other shoe to drop - i.e. the hardware side. I think the same signs we have seen on the software side can be observed on the hardware side.

Just think of:
  • Trying to sell a Mac Mini as server hardware (ridiculous).
  • Killing perfectly well working interfaces (Firewire) without a reasonable transition plan.
  • The joke of a RAID Controller Apple is selling or the 2012 Mac Pro update.
  • 10bit per Channel Output anyone? Hell, my SGI Octane is able to output RGBA 48 bit and this is ten year old hardware.

So my guess is, Apple will not really care much about the tiny Pro Hardware segment requirements. It's about money and they want to sell their new Pro Hardware to as many consumers as possible. So most likely we will see something which falls into the Prosumer category. Good enough, but with enough gotchas to make it fail in the professional world.

But who cares? As long as there are enough fanboys who buy every Apple product, no matter how ridiculous it is, the new Mac Pro successor product will be a stellar success. And even if it fails, who cares about a failure in a tiny segment of Apple's finacial revenue? Apple will declare the pro segment as dead and everybody will be amazed by Apple's insight into the market.

Because how could you be wrong when your're making a sh... load of money? :cool:

Mac mini are excellent servers.
http://macminicolo.net

If you think Servers have to be based on big heavy hardware you haven't been paying attention to companies like seamicro and others getting into the low power game. Hell Intel just announced low power 64-bit server hardware. Sometimes low power is a larger necessity than brute force computing.

Thunderbolt is a reasonable transition plan. I can get hardware from Blackmagic Design, AJA, Apogee and others that leverages the faster Thunderbolt.

Buy your own RAID controller. There are plenty

The truth the Pro segment doesn't generate enough profits to cater to like it did a decade ago. It's not just Apple that is withdrawing a bit but the days of paying 10 grand for effects software is over. When software like Smoke drops to under $3500 it pretty clear that the heyday of companies paying ridiculous amounts for software is over. Everyone is seeing the same compression.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
When all the Final Cut Studio users were crying out for an update Steve Jobs said 'you won't be disappointed'. Look what Apple turned out. Now, I'm looking forward to seeing all the Mac Pro 'professionals' on this forum crying when they get their probable piece of sh@£$t next year! What are the odds they call it iPro!!!

- Final Cut Pro X has actually ended up in a really good spot. The only complaints I hear now are from users that switched away and don't want to pay again to switch back from an Adobe workflow. Final Cut Pro X has rounded out it's feature set and third parties are shipping plugins for it. There is still some grumbling over corner cases like tape import, but I think the compromises Apple has made are reasonable. (TAPE IMPORT from directly in Final Cut Pro? Really? That's actually an issue?)
- I've heard from several different sources that there was an attempt to launch a 2012 model but it all came down to one issue. So I don't think this is much like Final Cut Pro. There has been scattered evidence of this, like new NVidia cards with EFI ROMs that strangely never shipped, or GPU drivers for desktop cards that strangely never shipped.

(And I know it's a "I heard from a guy" thing. But hey, that's what this thread is about!)

PPCREBEL

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
Los Angeles
I have faith that this isn't the case. However, we shall see. Apple has done this sort of thing before over the years. They aren't really into the stopgap thing on the Pro side - they typically let a design wither until they have brand new everything. As we're right on the edge of some pretty cool tech (that's been delayed - procs, etc. thus the Pro has been delayed) I think that they're just gearing up for something big.

Now, they could drop all of the Pro line, but there are SO MANY INDUSTRIES that rely on Macs. Niche, whatever. Switching to Windows would be a truly suck option.

All of my comps that don't run OSX (PCs) run a flavor of Linux. I won't jump ship until Linux dominates (unless Apple keeps their stuff together for power users). I've always skipped anything Windows because I just don't care for it. I've always been a kind of *nix snob anyway.

YMMV!

24Frames

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
For all the excitement this is generating it does actually seem all too likely that the Mac Pro will be dropped.

It doesn't appear to fit into Apples current let's make everything as thin as possible strategy.

Even if they do finally update it there is a big question mark in my mind as to whether a Workstation vendor that updates their workstations every 3 years is really a good choice.

In essence Apple need to show something. Until that happens I'm out.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I bet, you have your own griefs to add to this list.

Complaints about OS X have nothing to do with the future availability of Mac Pros. Sure, Finder still sucks. It's always sucked. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Well, 2013 is upon us. Guess we will find out pretty soon. Unless apple decides to postpone a new mac pro due to moving the manufacturing to the US. That should buy them more time to BS folks waiting on a new mac pro that either won't appear, or be castrated so bad that the fanboys will finally realize they been hosed by apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.