Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MightyWhite

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
Oxford UK
Instead of the backpack I just bought a roll of Velcro tape (not adhesive) and put 2 strips round a passport drive (vertical) and 2 strips horizontal at the top of the stand so it is totally hidden and secure at the back.

I made sure the soft side was on the inside touching the stand and I am so happy with this £4 result. The remaining tape tidied up cables and I have enough left other jobs..

I wish I knew how to post a picture

raymond lin

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
so are you now using themagic mouse?

Yup, have been for the past 2 years.

I had a Logitech Revolution before that and LOVED it but it died, what I love the most was the wheel. How if you flick it hard enough it would go into free spinning mode automatically. The Logitech MX Performance doesn't do that, it either clicks or constant free. I want neither.

So back it went.

I also have the Apple Trackpad.

whooshbong

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2012
UK
You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as you practice safe computing, as described in the following link. Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

If you still want to run antivirus for some reason, ClamXav (which is free) is one of the best choices, since it isn't a resource hog, detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't run with elevated privileges.

This may be useful:

Out of interesting: also getting my first iMac in the post any time soon. Have an active subscription for AVG on Pc at mo. intend bootcamping for few games I want to keep. Should I maintain a copy of avg on the windows partition?

robo456

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
New Jersey
a usb extension cord! reaching around to connect stuff really sucks. it will change your life.:D

Anyone have any suggestions for USB hubs? I don't have any USB 3.0 items at the moment, but I do have quite a few 1.1/2.0 devices (ham radio serial interfaces, HP laserjet printer, TV tuner, etc etc) 3.0 probably wouldn't be a bad idea since I'll probably pick up an external hard drive or two for data and time machine. (whenever I finally kick myself enough to buy a new imac...hehe)

It doesn't necessarily need to be "mac pretty" since I'll probably have it on the back of the desk since these peripherals don't get moved around. I'm assuming a powered hub is the way to go.

Thanks!

--rob

ferrarofilms

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2008
Magic mouse

I would love to see somebody editing in FCPX with a tracking pad........instead of a magic mouse......

michaelmac

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
Anyone have any suggestions for USB hubs? I don't have any USB 3.0 items at the moment, but I do have quite a few 1.1/2.0 devices (ham radio serial interfaces, HP laserjet printer, TV tuner, etc etc) 3.0 probably wouldn't be a bad idea since I'll probably pick up an external hard drive or two for data and time machine. (whenever I finally kick myself enough to buy a new imac...hehe)

It doesn't necessarily need to be "mac pretty" since I'll probably have it on the back of the desk since these peripherals don't get moved around. I'm assuming a powered hub is the way to go.

Thanks!

--rob

Would like to see some options for this too - anyone?

BuntaFujiwaraaa

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
i chose the magic trackpad too cause it is better to have a separate equipment at the side to do the gesture. I've used the Magic Mouse and feel its not very impressive...

It could be because I was into gaming in my early days and I've been using gaming mice in the past. And I'm quite particular about the performance and sensitivity of the mouse...

I've got a Razer Diamondback then got a Razer Viper 2 times (it spoilt 2 times) then I gave up and bought the Logitech G5 and I've used it from ages ages ago... and it is still kicking...

But I was thinking of buying a new mouse to use together with my new iMac. I was actually torn between Razer and Logitech but my past experience with Razer Viper was bad and I'm not sure if Razer have ramped up their durability of their mice. Both are good performance mouse but I would give Logitech a slight up in terms of stability and durability...

4Hummer

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Here's what I'll be getting

Twelve South Magic Wand. Locks the Keyboard and the Trackpad together
I Find the little keyboard looks odd in front of the huge screen

twelve_south_magicwand_815369_g1.jpg

Mobee Magic Numpad Turns the Trackpad into a Numpad for those excel nights
magicnumpad.jpg

Satechi 4 Port USB Hub Matches the looks of the iMac, With this I wont have to turn the iMac around to plug in my iPhone, or memory sticks

05_5.jpg

Id also recommend the Mobee Magic Charger if you get the magic mouse (I LOVE THE MAGIC MOUSE.... but not a gamer)

xsasha92x

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2011
Massachusetts, US
I use the wireless Razer Mamba gaming mouse, as it's hands down one of the best mice I've ever used for gaming and general use. It works natively with Mac OSX. I ordered my iMac with the wireless keyboard and Magic Trackpad. The Magic Mouse does indeed suck! I'll also be picking up the the rechargeable battery set from Apple, along with the SuperDrive, and TwelveSouth's Backpack for the front of the iMac - it'll make for a nice stand.

Which generation Mamba do you have? I have the older model without multi-color LED and it doesn't work very well with Mac when used wirelessly. I can't find a way to remove acceleration when being used without the cable but it works fine when it's plugged in. If the new model has better Mac OS X support, I would definitely consider the upgrade. The battery in mine is also getting much shorter :( I love my Blackwidow Ultimate though :p

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Regarding the Magic Mouse, I also have one and quite like it. My primary gripe with it was the overall shape of it not fitting in my hand well at all. However, the Magic Mouse Fixed makes the mouse wonderful to keep in my hand, and an absolute pleasure to use. I love the gestures that it offers, the smooth scrolling, and all of its functionality. Seriously the MMFixed looks a little funky, and you might be thinking that it's just a weird little blob that sits on your mouse, but it's a guaranteed winner if you love the functionality but hate the feel of the mouse in your hand. I've had mine on there for several years now, and for $12, you can't get much better than that.

BTW, it does suck for gaming, if only due to the lack of chord-clicking; I have a Razer Taipan that I keep around for when I delve into WoW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.