Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewsd

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
USA/BAYERN(bavaria)
Me to

My new one arrives Monday. Free of any charge.

Mines also been in a case since day one. And only notice when I took it out to clean it..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    644.9 KB · Views: 410

aman.agrawal

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
iPHONE 5

I have the same issue with my phone. I went to the iphone store for a replacement for the phone , they juss replied its a physical damage and will not be covered under warranty. Did u get a replacement for your phone ???

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
My new one arrives Monday. Free of any charge.

Mines also been in a case since day one. And only notice when I took it out to clean it..

Ew! Kind of makes me not want to get a 5S when I'm due for an upgrade.

*Crosses fingers and hopes Apple recognizes the issue with bending*

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
If you want to see my story about the same issue, including a detailed account of Apple's response see

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...ht=spontaneous

titled spontaneous separation of new iphone5

I read your first post, found it completely unbelievable, and stopped there. It's no more believable now than when you wrote it 6 weeks ago. The word you're spreading is different than what you think it is.

aznboi91

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Can we do a compilation of purchase dates of iphone 5 for those who have the bentgate problem?
Also mention if you use it with what case you used or say you have a naked iphone 5.

Last edited:

pablo7

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2008
LOS ANGELES, CA.
This thread is funny as F.......!

I had every iPhone since the first one and had my 5 on launchday this year for 2 weeks, took it out of my incipio case and set it on the table just to notice it would kinda seesaw back and forth just a little bit. Needles to say it went straight back to apple. This time around they just cheaped out on materials imho. Slowly but surely theyre letting greed get in the way of quality stuff.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My iPhone 5 is bent too!!!! I spent hours looking at it and I think I can detect a SMALL bend in it. I started sweating and my heart rate shot up so high. But when I ask other people they say they can't see it. :(

Maybe I need to sit on it or smash it and then it will be more bent then I can start complaining too?

YesPringles

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
Went to the 5th Avenue Apple Store in NYC to replace my iPhone 5 with a broken sleep button. When the genius brought out my replacement iPhone, I noticed that there was about a 1 degree bend towards the screen near the volume buttons. Took photos of the bent phone with the Macbooks they have on the tables

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 243
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 289

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Went to the 5th Avenue Apple Store in NYC to replace my iPhone 5 with a broken sleep button. When the genius brought out my replacement iPhone, I noticed that there was about a 1 degree bend towards the screen near the volume buttons. Took photos of the bent phone with the Macbooks they have on the tables

Wow. That damn 6061 AI.

Did you immediately return it?

----------

This thread is funny as F.......!

I had every iPhone since the first one and had my 5 on launchday this year for 2 weeks, took it out of my incipio case and set it on the table just to notice it would kinda seesaw back and forth just a little bit. Needles to say it went straight back to apple. This time around they just cheaped out on materials imho. Slowly but surely theyre letting greed get in the way of quality stuff.

Did they give you a hassle about it?

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK

Now who's to blame? Did the chinese sat on the phone to bend like that?

Gosh guys... Just assume the iPhone bends without any special effort and that is a big problem. Most people don't even notice their iPhone is already bent

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Now who's to blame? Did the chinese sat on the phone to bend like that?

Gosh guys... Just assume the iPhone bends without any special effort and that is a big problem. Most people don't even notice their iPhone is already bent

Exactly. So much hassle had been given to people with bent phones almost all assuming it's the users fault. Hate for these people to be on my jury.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Exactly. So much hassle had been given to people with bent phones almost all assuming it's the users fault. Hate for these people to be on my jury.

Because most of the bent ones have obvious signs of stress that were applied. There have only been a handful like this one and the most recent thread posted about it that are legitimate production flaws. This guy actually captured the moment in the store. Well done for him. A lot of the phones posted in here are bent in a way that would be impossible to remain packaged normally and come out of the box without the user realizing it.

I've seen 3, maybe 4 posts so far of iPhone 5's that are actually non-user faults. I do feel bad for them and I'm glad they were able to spot it and get it replaced.

I'd hate for someone who doesn't think objectively about all of the possible scenario's to be on my jury.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Because most of the bent ones have obvious signs of stress that were applied. There have only been a handful like this one and the most recent thread posted about it that are legitimate production flaws. This guy actually captured the moment in the store. Well done for him. A lot of the phones posted in here are bent in a way that would be impossible to remain packaged normally and come out of the box without the user realizing it.

I've seen 3, maybe 4 posts so far of iPhone 5's that are actually non-user faults. I do feel bad for them and I'm glad they were able to spot it and get it replaced.

I'd hate for someone who doesn't think objectively about all of the possible scenario's to be on my jury.

You also have made assumptions most previous posts showing bends were the users fault. It's bent and was not noticed at the Apple store, must be their fault? Based on what?

The instant someone puts a bent phone post they get lambasted by people saying it's your fault. Now I believe some may be-cracked screen, abrasions-are the users fault. Also, using the phone normally and excluding sitting on it, it should not be expected to bend. The mentality on this board is definitely guilty until proven innocent. The scuff threads showed this clearly.

Last edited:

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
If you want to see my story about the same issue, including a detailed account of Apple's response see

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...ht=spontaneous

titled spontaneous separation of new iphone5

When I click the link I get this

Not Found

The requested URL /showthre...ht=spontaneous was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
You also have made assumptions most previous posts showing bends were the users fault. It's bent and was not noticed at the Apple store, must be their fault? Based on what?

The instant someone puts a bent phone post they get lambasted by people saying it's your fault. Now I believe some maybe-cracked screen, abrasions-are the users fault. Also, using the phone normally and excluding sitting on it, it should not be expected to bend. The mentality on this board is definitely guilty until proven innocent. The scuff threads showed this clearly.

You're right. When you make extraordinary claims like "the phone bent on it's own" or "the anodizing is wiping off with a microfiber towel" you are most DEFINITELY guilty until proven innocent... and I find it hard to believe you can operate in the real world if you don't feel the same way.

Look, no one is disputing that there are SOME legitimate issues with phones out of the box. What the non-OCD, logical people ARE disputing is that there is some massive manufacturers defect with either the anodizing or the aluminum itself. There just is NO substantial proof to indicate there is. And no, a handful of users on a fan (fanatic) board does not prove anything.

If you have a problem with your phone: return it. If you can't find one that meets your needs: buy something else.

These "(x)gates" are usually operator error. Sometimes not, but usually.

The VAST majority of users have had no issues at all. There is no "(x)gate".

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
These "(x)gates" are usually operator error. Sometimes not, but usually.

The VAST majority of users have had no issues at all. There is no "(x)gate".

Mapgate is real. Antennagate is real. Scuffgate is real. Wifigate is real. Battergate is real. And Bendgate is also real on the iPhone whether you like to acknowledge it or not.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Mapgate is real. Antennagate is real. Scuffgate is real. Wifigate is real. Battergate is real. And Bendgate is also real on the iPhone whether you like to acknowledge it or not.

Antenna gate proven, mapgate proven, scuffgate proven, bend gate developing.

In all but the last Apple made statements about the issue and how it is improving the situation. I would call that real in my world.

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I purchased my wife and mother both white iPhone 5s for Christmas - should I return them and get 4S's or even ::gasp:: a GSIII?

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Apple fans are getting ridiculously fussy haha.
On my old Nokia N73 (a very hgihly regarded phone at the time...)
The lens cover would touch the back cover as it swipes. Hence, over time as it opens and closes, it would scratch the gasket surrounding the lens and it looks ugly... no gasketgate then...
My friend's motorolla defy has a rubber hatch that covers the ports..over time, this got loose and now theres this ugly bit of rubber sticking out all the time.
no rubbergate there...
Heck, MY BMW X3 has a problem with the back windshield wipers whereby the cap that covers the bolt on wipers get loose and go missing...no capgate there....

maybe steve jobs WAS right when he said 'you're holding it wrong'... everyone's getting SO fussy!. you have an aluminium phone, not a diamond indestructible supermanphone. it can bend if you apply pressure on it....get the GS3 if you want...but I don't think the android community will care much when you yell 'crackgate' after cracking the back plastic cover by sitting on it..

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007

And on the Nexus 4, we have scatchgate, antennagate, batterygate, wifigate, glassgate, thermalgate. ;)

There should be threads on each one on the "Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices" subforum, but you will be called a troll.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Apple fans are getting ridiculously fussy haha.
On my old Nokia N73 (a very hgihly regarded phone at the time...)
The lens cover would touch the back cover as it swipes. Hence, over time as it opens and closes, it would scratch the gasket surrounding the lens and it looks ugly... no gasketgate then...
My friend's motorolla defy has a rubber hatch that covers the ports..over time, this got loose and now theres this ugly bit of rubber sticking out all the time.
no rubbergate there...
Heck, MY BMW X3 has a problem with the back windshield wipers whereby the cap that covers the bolt on wipers get loose and go missing...no capgate there....

maybe steve jobs WAS right when he said 'you're holding it wrong'... everyone's getting SO fussy!. you have an aluminium phone, not a diamond indestructible supermanphone. it can bend if you apply pressure on it....get the GS3 if you want...but I don't think the android community will care much when you yell 'crackgate' after cracking the back plastic cover by sitting on it..
Apple™, themselves, are responsible for the iPhone sitting so high on it's pedestal. Don't blame consumers when they complain about getting a bent/scratched phone out of the box or have one that bends or scratches with normal use in a matter of weeks. We're all being told to expect more from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.